Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 794

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1116321 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6690 on: December 12, 2019, 09:25:19 pm »

Had what I believe was a pretty great dream involving fun times and adventures with various IRL friends in some strange foreign land (which I think also had strange public transport), but now I can't even remember enough for a basic summary of it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: December 13, 2019, 01:58:52 am »

Adobe is axing their version of Fuse, the program I occasionally use to mess around with creating 3D characters for games and stuff. Sure, there's Poser and Daz Studio, but you could actually make things with Fuse without first buying hundreds of dollars worth of models to use, all of which have different licenses and many of which both aren't designed and can't be licensed for use in games or interactive software.

The only realistic alternative is MakeHuman, which is unsatisfactory *at best.* MH rigs are crap, development is even more dead and stagnant than Fuse, and the models look like rubber blow-up dolls, or maybe cheap action figures. That's not even going in to the lack of content for MakeHuman.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:07:08 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: December 13, 2019, 09:10:57 am »

We had an unscheduled company call today, which I assumed was going to mean we were being acquired by another company.  That would suck.

Instead, we learned that about 20% of the company was being laid off.  2 weeks before Christmas.

I wasn't affected, nor were my direct coworkers or direct managers, but this still really sucks.  It's also put a sour taste in my mouth for the CEO that took over less than a year ago, since I'm pretty sure this was at his direction in an attempt to maximize profits despite the fact that company was already profitable.  Projections for next year looked less stellar, but this still feels excessive, with some very long term and experienced employees being let go in departments where their replacements aren't clear.

It's a shame I don't drink.  This week and entire quarter has really sucked at work.

That reads a lot like the new CEO is trying to come in, make a short-term profit, and leave before the whole thing falls apart due to (I'm assuming) his short-term planning. That does suck.

How many people actually pay for Youtube Red? Or whatever their premium service is these days?

Redtube.

Adobe is axing their version of Fuse, the program I occasionally use to mess around with creating 3D characters for games and stuff. Sure, there's Poser and Daz Studio, but you could actually make things with Fuse without first buying hundreds of dollars worth of models to use, all of which have different licenses and many of which both aren't designed and can't be licensed for use in games or interactive software.

The advice I've seen has been 1) never pay Adobe money; they will screw you 2) maybe use Blender?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:17:41 am by Iduno »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: December 13, 2019, 02:51:11 pm »

Had what I believe was a pretty great dream involving fun times and adventures with various IRL friends in some strange foreign land (which I think also had strange public transport), but now I can't even remember enough for a basic summary of it.
Yeah, its always sad when you have an awesome dream, but you forget everything about it that made it awesome.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: December 13, 2019, 03:35:57 pm »

I saw a sign on the highway today that said "stopped traffic ahead 4 minutes next mile." That wasn't true at all. It felt 50% slower than normal, not 50% faster.

Edit: the claimed 15 mph on the highway would be equivalent to ~24 kph.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: December 13, 2019, 08:06:20 pm »

Loki, my snake, seems to have lost some scales around the tip of his tail somehow. He had a bit of shed that hadn't come off so I had to soak him in the bathtub, but it also looks like he's caught it on something and pulled out a few scales. Hopefully it'll heal up fine, if it doesn't and the area goes necrotic his tail tip might need to come off.  :(
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: December 13, 2019, 08:27:54 pm »

I hope he heals

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: December 14, 2019, 02:20:30 am »

I keep getting tasked with doing Factory Reset Protection bipasses by family members.

Today, two of them. One LG, one Samsung. Different methods for each, 2 hours of my life spent.

Why did I ever obtain this skill set?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: December 14, 2019, 04:59:31 am »

As they say, you should never help your family with tech unless you want to keep doing it. They'll never bother to figure things out for themselves when there's a "tech guy" around who can helpfully solve all of their problems.

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: December 15, 2019, 04:49:02 am »

My head and my stomach both hurt at the moment.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: December 15, 2019, 05:45:34 am »

I quit my job. I was growing increasingly frustrated so I kind of had to. Even so it always makes one uneasy
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: December 15, 2019, 10:18:58 am »

Frees up more time for handstands, man. Live the dream!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: December 15, 2019, 10:37:42 am »

Good luck finding food in the interim.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: December 15, 2019, 12:11:28 pm »

I quit my job. I was growing increasingly frustrated so I kind of had to. Even so it always makes one uneasy

I handwrote a resignation letter today for my job. I have it hidden away in my work-cubby. My friend wants to reassure me that I just need a two-week vacation; I really couldn't get a word in edgewise as to how I feel I'm wasting my life and that I'm certain to disintegrate psychologically over time, and that I'm already disintegrating. She's very well-meaning though, she doesn't want me to cast myself out into joblessness without a plan, when that's exactly what I want to do, as I want to establish a new baseline of living for myself before making another move; and she's worried that I'll waste all the seniority and shit I've built up over the years, though I don't really give a fuck about that I'm in a deadend job anyway.  *(EDIT: To be clear, I have 10k in the bank, so I definitely could live on my own for a while)*

Also, I can't help but think that that is very cowardly logic, and that if I'm going to do anything I need to throw what is logically the "good, safe idea" and just destroy my own identity. I can't do that with safe, step-by-step, methodologic planning; I need the force of suddenly, intense change to do that, to shatter who I am, so I can become someone else. Naturally I can't think of something like that to say in the middle of a conversation, but that's how I was feeling, and I couldn't really retort her optimistic reassurances except with an exasperated "....huh...". She really does want to give support, and she intuits that my motivations are partly suicidal, which they definitely are, so I can't be upset at her.

Still have this resignation letter, and thinking what to do with it, and I just hate the idea of taking things slow, I want my future in my hands right fucking now goddamnit.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:13:35 pm by JoshuaFH »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: December 15, 2019, 01:34:46 pm »

I handwrote a resignation letter today for my job. I have it hidden away in my work-cubby. My friend wants to reassure me that I just need a two-week vacation; I really couldn't get a word in edgewise as to how I feel I'm wasting my life and that I'm certain to disintegrate psychologically over time, and that I'm already disintegrating. She's very well-meaning though, she doesn't want me to cast myself out into joblessness without a plan, when that's exactly what I want to do, as I want to establish a new baseline of living for myself before making another move; and she's worried that I'll waste all the seniority and shit I've built up over the years, though I don't really give a fuck about that I'm in a deadend job anyway.  *(EDIT: To be clear, I have 10k in the bank, so I definitely could live on my own for a while)*

Also, I can't help but think that that is very cowardly logic, and that if I'm going to do anything I need to throw what is logically the "good, safe idea" and just destroy my own identity. I can't do that with safe, step-by-step, methodologic planning; I need the force of suddenly, intense change to do that, to shatter who I am, so I can become someone else. Naturally I can't think of something like that to say in the middle of a conversation, but that's how I was feeling, and I couldn't really retort her optimistic reassurances except with an exasperated "....huh...". She really does want to give support, and she intuits that my motivations are partly suicidal, which they definitely are, so I can't be upset at her.

Still have this resignation letter, and thinking what to do with it, and I just hate the idea of taking things slow, I want my future in my hands right fucking now goddamnit.
I empathize a lot. Not tio dissimilar to what happened here.

My situation is that  after leaving my last post abroad and a hiring freeze in the nation that was hosting me, instead of going back home I went to an overseas territory in my own country because the head of department made a series of promises to me, the core of which was that I'd be given the opportunity to learn a new technical skill. I figured that at the very least it'd be good for my CV.

Upon arriving they backtracked  on everything. I did not get the promised training, and I was there mostly to cover whoever was missing at any given point. Half the time I had no real role and was sitting on my hands. In short for all the promises, I was being used as a float consultant. This is very much a dead end, and on top of that I did not have either the perks I'd have abroad or back home. So I was fairly bitter.

Like yourself, the economic impact is nonexistent (even more so, as I earned *lots* of money abroad). My idea for the time being is to take a long break. I'll be back home but I'm looking more into options abroad at present. If the hiring freeze persists for much longer I'll do short contracts at home, but I think it wont come to that and I'll be working abroad again in a couple of months
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 794