Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859033 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4560 on: October 07, 2018, 06:21:24 am »

Go on Pogo games and play their mahjong, it's more videogame-y.

I'm sure you mean well, but this statement is stomping on my balls when I'm already down for the count. It's like "I'm sorry you lost the baseball game, but kiddy's tee ball is always available man!"

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4561 on: October 08, 2018, 02:15:21 am »

a very oppressive 5 second turn limit

I think that might be the problem. I can play chess... well, not fantastically, but alright, in general, but ask me to play bullet? Nuh-uh, no can do boss. Same for blitz, to a lesser extent.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: October 08, 2018, 02:39:55 am »

a very oppressive 5 second turn limit

I think that might be the problem. I can play chess... well, not fantastically, but alright, in general, but ask me to play bullet? Nuh-uh, no can do boss. Same for blitz, to a lesser extent.

In Yakuza 0, you can play online, and the turn limit there is 15 seconds, and I thought that was VERY fast, as there's quite a lot of things to look at and think about. You have your own hand, the tiles that have been discarded, the tiles that HAVEN'T been discarded, everyone's scores, what turn it is, who's the dealer, how far along in the game you are, how you want to shape up your hand, how you think your opponents hand might look (I can't do this at all), and heuristically measuring how likely it is that someone will deal into your hand or even complete it yourself to win.

When I'm playing against the AI, there's no time limit, so I'll just stare at my hand for a minute or more sometimes thinking of what I want to do with it. Obviously this is all new to me so I'll be slower than someone that grew up in a society that has this game ingrained into it, so maybe I should just take the lumps and suck it up. It's like the Ping Pong Club that I like going to when I can, everyone there has been playing the game since they were little, and perhaps several times a week, while I only discovered the game when I was maybe 22 or 23, and I almost never get to play at all, even though I'd like to. Just gotta make peace with the fact that I'm an idiot infant in the body of an almost 30 yr old man, and really the only thing I can do about it is to not be self-conscious about it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4563 on: October 08, 2018, 04:59:23 am »

Nah, you don't have to take that attitude. There are plenty of other people who only start doing things late - it's just a question of finding them. Maybe a casual mahjong site somewhere, while you get more practice in against humans? Or as you say, just smash yourself against the online players until you improve. :P I have no doubt that you can and will.

I started fencing at 18ish, and I routinely get used to clean the floor by the guys who've been fencing since they were six, but I can still have great fun fencing against other people who picked it up later, and over time I've steadily got better and better. It's just a case of trying to find someone around your skill level to get a toehold, and from there you can claw yourself upwards.

Don't sell yourself short to yourself! There's usually, if not always, a recourse.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 08, 2018, 05:11:38 am »

Looks like the search function got broken. It shows me an error, "Unable to access the search daemon."
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: October 08, 2018, 07:31:25 am »

Looks like the search function got broken. It shows me an error, "Unable to access the search daemon."

Try sacrificing a goat.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:12 am »

Try sacrificing a goat.

I don't remember where are my black robes and corpsepaint cosmetics kit, plus I don't have a proper sacrificial knife.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 08, 2018, 08:02:41 am »

Try sacrificing a goat.

I don't remember where are my black robes and corpsepaint cosmetics kit, plus I don't have a proper sacrificial knife.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: October 08, 2018, 08:08:16 am »

Now THAT'S an athame.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 08, 2018, 08:10:02 am »

Now I just need to find my black robes and corpsepaint cosmetics kit.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: October 08, 2018, 08:11:01 am »

Now THAT'S an athame.

Now that's what I call Athame 97!  Packed with the hottest gods!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 08, 2018, 08:14:34 am »

Well you're in LUCK!

Spirit Halloween has BOTH items in stock RIGHT NOW!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: October 08, 2018, 08:21:04 am »

Well you're in LUCK!

Spirit Halloween has BOTH items in stock RIGHT NOW!

The black robes are alright, but this shit you call 'corpsepaint' is laughable even for vvimpy posevrs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: October 08, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »

Two things:

1) Breakfalls and rolls are 100% not my thing in Ju Jitsu. Which is annoying because they're something you need to know. Especially breakfalls because if you don't know that you're liable to do yourself an injury.

2) When practising them yesterday, I got three abrasions on my feet. One on my left ankle, one on top of my left foot, and one on my right foot's big toe's knuckle. As a result, shoes are painful.
At least you're doing Jiujitsu to some extent... I tried out with a comparatively local dojo, made a complete pig's ear of the warmup exercises, and was so worn out/down that my head started spinning and I ended up just silently leaving before the actual lesson even started, and just limped my way home.

Never been back there since.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: October 08, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »

I read all of this as breakfast and rolls and it took me way more time than I am comfortable admitting to understand what was going on here.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 779