Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859103 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4470 on: September 22, 2018, 07:48:27 pm »

It's hard to explain my problem but to put it into practical terms. Imagine you roll damages in explosive d6. I need to know how many hits it takes to take down one pawn on average, so as to balance HP of each ones.

For practical reasons, I now assume that an explosive D6 averages at 4.2. So I will assume that everything under 4.2 HP can be take out with only one dice. Everything below 8.4 takes an average of two damage dices, etc.

This is critical to know before designing stuff like classes for players, because they really did die too fast in my test runs
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:50:07 pm by Cathar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: September 22, 2018, 07:57:56 pm »

https://anydice.com/program/3cc

There's your basic exploding d6.

If you're determining HP totals for monsters, the average might be misleading you. In pure mathematics, a higher number drags the average up no matter what. But it you haven't really gained any advantage for dealing 15 vs 5 damage to a 3 HP goblin, it's just dead either way. The chance that one die is enough damage to kill a 3 HP goblin is EXACTLY 4/6, because if you roll over a 3 it doesn't matter if you explode or not, the goblin is dead either way.

If you want even odds that a single die can kill a monster, just give it 4 HP.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4472 on: September 22, 2018, 08:03:45 pm »

I mean that's just a building block for the system I want to use to fix the numbers. After that, I'll have to calculate hit chances (which is another mindfuck for me) to generate average dps. The ultimate value I want to achieve is a unit of power which would be "how many HP can you expect to inflict to a monster X for each HP that you lose", or "how much HP worth of damages one of your HP is". That is the value I'm trying to grasp. This game is almost exclusively about risk and rewards, so it's extra important those things to be calculated exactly, so to balance characters that are tanky with characters that are glass canon. This sort of thing
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:06:47 pm by Cathar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: September 22, 2018, 09:06:00 pm »

In a game with dice like this "average DPS" is quite likely to be very different from actual DPS for the fight you're in. That's practically the point of using dice.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: September 23, 2018, 01:50:30 am »

Somebody go dig up the maths thread already Jesus Christ.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:07 am »

Since the math is upsetting you, it's on topic.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4476 on: September 25, 2018, 05:32:17 am »

No no this is fair, I'll do that next time I need halp, you guys carry on, cheers

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: September 26, 2018, 01:18:49 pm »

Just blegh today.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: September 26, 2018, 02:33:53 pm »

I prescribe horseradish. Cleans that stuff right out.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: September 26, 2018, 02:55:34 pm »

It's hard to explain my problem but to put it into practical terms. Imagine you roll damages in explosive d6. I need to know how many hits it takes to take down one pawn on average, so as to balance HP of each ones.

For practical reasons, I now assume that an explosive D6 averages at 4.2. So I will assume that everything under 4.2 HP can be take out with only one dice. Everything below 8.4 takes an average of two damage dices, etc.

This is critical to know before designing stuff like classes for players, because they really did die too fast in my test runs

It sounds a bit like Earthdawn's dice system, which is much more interesting now that computerized dice rollers are a widespread thing. I think old versions of Star Wars may have done the same, and the Gearhead roguelike. It's good for allowing the rare lucky hit that allows any opponent to be a potential threat. Although I don't think any game could get away with it as easily unless the game system was good enough that you were willing to interact with it (Gearhead has awesome mech customization, Earthdawn has cool character advancement, and Star Wars has both stars and wars). Also, an understanding of iterative probability (the characters will see rare events happen to them more often than the monster that shows up once).

On topic: I "got" to hear a long order at lunch today with the customer being a dick to the waitress. They argued about every ingredient, and the price of every item, as well as insulting the waitress. What kind of person needs to treat a stranger like that?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: September 26, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »

Miserable assholes that think the transitive property applies to emotions. They try to make other people miserable so their misery is closer to happy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: September 26, 2018, 03:02:38 pm »

I was blegh this morning as well.  Just felt... stupid, in a weird way.  I think it was my mind retreating from the sunburn and sleepiness.  Plus I shared with my friends a hot take on youtube drama only to learn it was literally 8 years old, heh.

Just felt dumb.  So stupid.  Like all my positions were flimsy, and I was frustrated that I couldn't muster rational arguments against certain things.  Felt like a faux-intellectual fraud, briefly.

It's okay now though.  I drank a lot of water, and some leftover wine, and walked 6 Pokemon GO eggs to clear my mind.  I'm exhausted and achy for good reason, and I'm recovering just fine.

Edit:  Even had a fruitful, respectful argument with my dad about politics.  Made a case which respected all sides, and stuck by the parts where he thought I was aiding the enemy.  Weathered his barbs.  Clarified what I was saying.  He...  accepted my restatement, once I addressed his arguments which were actually relevant.
We of course were basically in agreement the whole time, this is just a thing he does.
It made me feel so much better.

"The feeling where you don't believe you can do a thing anymore, but then you have to do it, and you do it well because you're desperate, and you actually do a good job" why isn't that a word?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:07:45 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: September 26, 2018, 03:18:02 pm »

Let's make it one. We need someone that knows Greek and Latin pre/suffixes
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: September 26, 2018, 03:22:56 pm »

"Hope"?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: September 27, 2018, 12:00:41 am »

Incapabilitybeliefdesperativediligensesuccessitude
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 779