Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859221 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4395 on: September 05, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »

"I need to get to bed early tonight, so I can get enough sleep for work tomorrow, especially since I'm sick"
--My Girlfriend

That was a few hours ago. It's now 11:30. She's still watching her TV on the big screen because her ears hurt if she uses earbuds. I'm really just waiting at this point for her to announce that she's too tired/sick/short of time to walk the dogs tonight, and that I have to pick up the slack.

Apparently this is "our show" now, too. I don't even like this series, it's just hard to ignore it for 100% of the time when it's on the flatscreen in the middle of the room and I don't have headphones that can override the sound. Since she's hooked on it, she'll now get antsy if I'm not "available" to watch it with her, because she can't watch "our show" when I'm not watching because that would be impolite.

That reminds me, I need to give her 30% of my disability payments again...

EDIT: Oh, hey, anybody have experience with the Fountain House organization, perchance? Looks like I'm gonna end up as a member at least for a while, wanted to know if anyone else had a background of swimming in the shallow end of the loony bin.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: September 05, 2018, 06:00:44 pm »

Yeah, it's bad enough that one meeting had a fellow atheist leave all references of god out of a certain passage, and half the people got up and left all pissed off.

I mean, that's kind of a dick move, since this is supposed to be the most sacred, important thing in their lives, and this friend removed the most important part of it since , you know, sacrilege and all that is usually a big deal, I mean unless these are the "trump is a gift from god" type of Christian, in which case they probably don't actually follow the bible's teaching.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: September 05, 2018, 06:02:19 pm »

Yeah, it's bad enough that one meeting had a fellow atheist leave all references of god out of a certain passage, and half the people got up and left all pissed off.

I mean, that's kind of a dick move, since this is supposed to be the most sacred, important thing in their lives, and this friend removed the most important part of it since , you know, sacrilege and all that is usually a big deal, I mean unless these are the "trump is a gift from god" type of Christian, in which case they probably don't actually follow the bible's teaching.
Well, the thing is, AA is often a court ordered program. Would it be ethical to court order an atheist to pray?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: September 05, 2018, 06:03:25 pm »

I'm not saying they should be forced to pray, just that it's not exactly wrong for a Christian to be upset at someone removing God from the passages of their most important book

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: September 05, 2018, 06:05:58 pm »

Yeah, behaving like that would be more an insult to the other people in the group, not the organisation itself.

In my own, most-current mild sad: holy heck I wish I had some energy drink right now. Bluh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:56 pm »

I'm not saying they should be forced to pray, just that it's not exactly wrong for a Christian to be upset at someone removing God from the passages of their most important book
Granted, but that's not the issue here.  AA claims to be nonreligious, presumably to keep getting sent initiates by US courts.  Supposedly the program is for atheists and theists alike.  The anecdote claims they don't necessarily follow that internally.

Which doesn't surprise me at all, based on their publicly-available "steps" and reputation.  They're secular in name only, but I'm sure they believe their cause justifies the dishonesty.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 05, 2018, 06:23:02 pm »

One of the common AA sayings is "your best thinking got you here" and "stinkin' thinkin'" is another popular one. Basically, they have a lot of saying amounting to "don't think, thinking is bad".

https://www.eliterehabplacement.com/overcoming-addiction-2/best-thinking-got/

The statement "your best thinking got you here" is used to shut you down if you ever start a statement with "I think" and then disagree with something from the "one true book" of AA that was written back in the 1930s. Effectively, they're locked in with some nutty 1930s alcoholic preacher's view of how addiction works, and they never update that. But if you don't agree with any of it, that's that bad "thinking" at work.

The goal, as I stated, is to stamp out your personality and rebuild your self-image as an "alcoholic" which is a strictly defined thing in the "Big Book" of AA, which you're literally not allowed to question. you're an alcoholic, alcoholics are exactly one way, as stated in the 80 year old book, and without AA all alcoholics will end up in institutions, dead or in prison. Apparently it's a common thing to tell to sober people who decide to leave AA: you'll end up in an institution, dead or prison if you stop going to the meetings.

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/ff-alcoholics-anonymous/

Secret of AA: After 75 Years, We Don't Know How It Works

That won't be a problem for a thickset man in a baggy beige sweat suit. "Doesn't matter how much snow we get—a foot, 10 feet piled up in front of the door," he says. "I will leave my apartment tomorrow and go find a meeting."

He clasps his hands together and draws them to his heart: "You understand me? I need this." Daily meetings, the man says, are all that prevent him from winding up dead in the gutter, shoes gone because he sold them for booze or crack. And he hasn't had a drink in more than a decade.

Process that for a second. The guy hasn't had a drink in 10 years, but he's panicking because they're not holding an AA meeting that day, and he actually believes that if he doesn't attend them he'll "sell his shoes" for crack or booze and end up dead in the gutter.

This is not the mentality of someone who's been helped, it's the mentality of someone who's been brainwashed, since AA constantly talks about alcohol. This is in fact how they work. They convince people that the meetings are the only thing standing between them and oblivion, and they make claims that your Higher Power grants you freedom from your addiction, but only today so you need to keep reconsecrating every day to maintain the willpower thing.

If you really want to help people, get them off booze then reduce the amount they talk or think about booze. Don't do some fucked up daily meetings where the only topic of conversation is booze, and telling them that if they ever stop going then booze will take over their lives whether they want it to or not. It'd be like helping rape victims by having daily meetings where everyone talks about rape and claiming that if you ever stop going, you might get raped.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:42:23 pm by Reelya »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 05, 2018, 07:14:18 pm »

Well they try to force you to pray. And the passage was from a guide to getting sober, not a holy text. In fact, I was quite often put in situations where it could affect my freedom if I didn't at least pretend to recite the Lord's prayer or otherwise show compliance in such circumstances.

Whatever, it's just, what, like the first amendment or something. And I was just some criminal with no recourse but to do as I was ordered.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 05, 2018, 08:18:16 pm »

Well they try to force you to pray. And the passage was from a guide to getting sober, not a holy text. In fact, I was quite often put in situations where it could affect my freedom if I didn't at least pretend to recite the Lord's prayer or otherwise show compliance in such circumstances.

Whatever, it's just, what, like the first amendment or something. And I was just some criminal with no recourse but to do as I was ordered.

I mean look, if it's a Christian setup, they need to say it's a Christian setup. If it isn't a Christian setup, they need to not make it mandatory at meetings. You can't like, trick people into coming to Bible Study For Alcoholics then brainwash them into adhering to Christian things. That's not how that works.

The Bible isn't meant for secular use, and if it's not a Christian setup they need to not use it as a primary reference.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:22:18 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 05, 2018, 11:42:58 pm »

To clarify: nobody is talking about the Bible, they're talking about pledges that AA makes you take, which references God, but they're really about pledging yourself over to the group itself. The real issue here is that AA gets court-ordered attendees fleshing out the ranks, and legally claims to be non-religious so as to skirt the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Also, while they appropriate many trappings of Christianity, their "religion" does not adhere to Christian theology at all. Basically they claim only God keeps you sober, one day at a time, but if you stop attending, you'll die instantly because the devil is waiting to get you with an uncontrollable booze binge. Yeah, it's a fucked up pseudo-religion with it's own bizarre and limited beliefs, just enough of a system to keep its hooks in people.

The reason that the other AA members were disproportionately offended at someone removing God from their AA pledge was that it undermines the cult-like rationale behind such groups. It's an example of free thought and free thought challenges the precepts that bind the group. They might not rationalize it to themselves like that, but that's how these types of groups sustain themselves at a meta-level.

Also, to stop you thinking they keep you on an endless series of mental busy-work and self-doubt by constantly "working the steps" most of which are about thinking about how useless you are and all the things you did wrong in your life before you got to AA. If any of the 12 "steps" don't work out for you, they tell you that you failed the steps and need to go back to step one. The steps don't fail you, you failed the steps. So, if you did the steps but still feel like drinking they tell you to go back to earlier steps, double-down on feeling useless and work out extra shitty things you must have done before joining AA that you apparently hadn't repented yet, or else God would have granted you sobriety already. This is really not that much like a Christian church at all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:15:09 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 06, 2018, 06:51:32 am »

I dunno, sounds a lot like Catholicism
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 06, 2018, 07:02:58 am »

I have the last two posts in the What Are You Reading thread and as such have nowhere particularly appropriate to enthuse about my second attempt at reading Shardik, where this time I have made it more than a few pages in and am very much enjoying it, even if that other book I bought recently still keeps trying to distract me enough to get hooked on it instead.

Shardik is interesting, though.
I renewed most of my library books (because an instance of poor time management on Saturday evening prevented me from stopping by the library or I would have missed the last bus) so I guess I have about a month to finish off this hefty tome.

Unfortunately, one - just one - of the books I had was unrenewable due to some prick having reserved it, so I suppose I'll be needing to pay some late fees before I can borrow anything new.
It was a book on PT network maps from around the world, too. Of all the things to get fined for it's a bloody book of foreign train maps. Heh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: September 06, 2018, 10:03:37 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:31:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4408 on: September 06, 2018, 10:30:46 am »

I'd forgotten how much casual bigotry goes on here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 06, 2018, 10:42:54 am »

Don't mind them. More harmless edge than the average black metal band. :P

My mild sad: I have too many tabs open, both on my phone's browser and that of my laptop. Just yet another way for my disorganised personality to manifest itself.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 779