Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859092 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4305 on: August 26, 2018, 04:47:10 pm »

That sounds like if film was communism.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: August 26, 2018, 04:54:21 pm »

Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot.)
The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted.
The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
Optical work and filters are forbidden.
The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
Genre movies are not acceptable.
The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
The director must not be credited.

Sounds terribly boring

It is, however, a very interesting challenge for a filmmaker. Basically your entire bag of tricks for "fixing up" a movie is ripped out from under you: You can't force a mood by slapping a thematic soundtrack over a scene, you can't focus and clean up a cluttered scene by tampering with the lighting, you can't condense and concentrate a scene's essence by touching it up in post... Everything that allows a wealthier production studio to take utter crap and process it into perfectly consumable humdrum is taken away.

So what you're left with is the writing, the cameraman, and the actors. All these things need to be fucking Grade-A top class, and it really shows. Finding good locations is also very important, because you can't just slap together a set or patch together the necessary requisites.

Yes, there are some very bizarre rules involved (Academy 35mm? Lars, your boner is showing), but the essence of the ruleset is precisely that: Essence. It strips down all the boob jobs and tummy tucks of mainstream cinema, so you're left with just the core parts of the film laid bare and unprotected for all to see.

A lot of it really is just a big "Achievement Complete!" for directors who manage to make a good movie despite all the crippling handicaps... But it also makes it clear to the consumers that you're getting a movie that has a lot of soul in it. Mainly because there's... Nothing else to show.

The Celebration and Mifune are great examples of what works and what doesn't within the Dogme ruleset. Both feature extraordinary actors playing off of each other beautifully, engaging writing, and a cameraman who somehow manages to make everything work despite having little more than a goddamn camcorder. And, for someone who's looking, they also hint at some of the things that make such films difficult... The Celebration for instance has an outdoor scene which is so dark that it's nearly impossible to work out what, if anything, is actually happening.

Both are, in my opinion, very good films. I feel it is entirely possible to enjoy these films without any special background or whatnot, but the whole Dogme 95 movement is very much a film geek thing overall.

Oh good, I'm so glad we're not talking about the excellent movie Dogma, starring Ben Affleck aaaaaaaand.... Matt Damon, that's the one. A Masterpiece of not-so-modern cinema.
You wouldn't be forgetting that Alan Rickman was a literal angel in that movie now would you?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: August 26, 2018, 08:28:05 pm »

You must have me mixed up with someone else there, I didn't comment on Dogma.

Yes, I meant Kagus

Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot.)
The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted.
The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
Optical work and filters are forbidden.
The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
Genre movies are not acceptable.
The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
The director must not be credited.

Sounds terribly boring

Highlights are the ones which has had particularly disastrous impact on mainstream Swedish cinematography
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: August 26, 2018, 10:41:15 pm »

Internet is being especially terrible today.
Can't even play Town of Salem, let alone SS13. I wish I wasn't the sort of person to find a poor internet connection so distressing, but alas. I guess I'll read some more of Shardik, if I can get my attention span to work.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: August 27, 2018, 10:01:23 am »

I took one of them online ADD tests, yes I know they're utter drek and I'm not putting much stock in it, but some of the questions made me realize some unconscious behaviors I have that could be indicative of a diagnosis.

For example, I can barely listen to my wife talk if the TV is on, I daydream at work almost constantly, I'll start tasks, get sidelined and start another, I'll procrastinate important tasks or outright forget them. Also I get driven, focused and impatient other times, especially while driving, walking somewhere, or while doing certain tasks.

I need to talk to a psychologist or psychiatric doctor or therapist.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: August 27, 2018, 10:06:41 am »

I took one of those inventories and, uh, I think getting a 100% might be indicative of something. I've already started setting something up, though, and the doctor sent me an actual physical letter (?? i live a block away from the hospital and i would still rather get a text message or similar) saying i should call to set up an appointment about that, so that's good.

What's bad is, like, I don't know, I dropped out of college due to it, I guess. It sometimes takes me days to do things that, if I were to time the amount I actually spent on it, ends up being one or two hours. That kind of thing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: August 27, 2018, 10:14:19 am »

I took one of those inventories and, uh, I think getting a 100% might be indicative of something. I've already started setting something up, though, and the doctor sent me an actual physical letter (?? i live a block away from the hospital and i would still rather get a text message or similar) saying i should call to set up an appointment about that, so that's good.

What's bad is, like, I don't know, I dropped out of college due to it, I guess. It sometimes takes me days to do things that, if I were to time the amount I actually spent on it, ends up being one or two hours. That kind of thing.
If you can prove medical reasons, many colleges will let you back in. If you choose.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: August 27, 2018, 10:16:44 am »

I had some doubts about whether or not I might have some form of ADHD, and as my girlfriend has the diagnosis she was of course very happy to potentially see me get labeled with same. Shrink said "Alright, we'll start you on Ritalin and see what happens".

Started on Ritalin, didn't notice much. Got increased dose, still didn't notice much. Shrink said "If you had ADHD, you would have noticed something. Test concluded". And that's how I don't have ADHD.

Also, there's apparently a specific hearing disability that makes your specific hearing go out the window the moment there's much of any kind of background static. I definitely feel like I've got that, as even just a few people or a TV or something in the background will ruin my chances of actually understanding the person sitting two feet in front of me.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: August 27, 2018, 10:29:09 am »

I got a 39 and 34 was supposedly pretty certain ADHD. Both inattentive and hyperactive were high, at 20 and 19. Dunno. Gotta find a shrink near me. Guess I'll ask my doctor.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: August 27, 2018, 11:25:04 am »

I had some doubts about whether or not I might have some form of ADHD, and as my girlfriend has the diagnosis she was of course very happy to potentially see me get labeled with same. Shrink said "Alright, we'll start you on Ritalin and see what happens".

Started on Ritalin, didn't notice much. Got increased dose, still didn't notice much. Shrink said "If you had ADHD, you would have noticed something. Test concluded". And that's how I don't have ADHD.

Ritalin did nothing for me at all, but atomoxetine was a minor success. Thank the lord, that stuff's a lot less scary. Makes me piss funny, and I guess I'd be stuck with that forever, but damn was it nice to get multiple things done in one week.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: August 27, 2018, 11:34:25 am »

I am sad about Putnam's bladder comedians.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: August 27, 2018, 11:49:43 am »

It was awful. Just terribly unpleasant. There was always a delay, it was like having to sneeze and not being able to for, like, 5-10 seconds. Except it was pissing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: August 27, 2018, 06:14:06 pm »

Dextroamphetamine works just fine recreationally for me, I'm pretty sure that means one doesn't have ADD or similar?
I feel like I have enough on my plate without piling any more disorders on, anyway. Heh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:19 am »

That doesn't mean a whole lot. Someone who has ADHD isn't being prescribed a high dose of amphetamines, just enough to increase altertness and attention. People who have ADHD can certainly abuse the stuff recreationally, ADHD doesn't convey superpowers when meth doesn't affect you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: August 28, 2018, 02:03:20 am »

Huh, interesting. From what I'd been told they affect people with the condition at least somewhat differently to others, but I've never had much reason to research it myself.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 779