Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859260 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4155 on: July 30, 2018, 01:15:51 pm »

There's a new anime on the block: "Cells at Work" it's a delightful little show that anthropomorphizes the body's cells as people, and dramatizes their adventures, just like "Osmosis Jones" but Moe. The slight sadness I'm reporting doesn't come from the show, it's fun and educational in all the right ways, it's just that I find myself tearing up when watching it, almost unconsciously, because the show depicts such a wonderful and functioning community and the show reminds me how badly I long to be a part of society that is so closely knit, caring, and hardworking... and how what I actually exist in is so nearly the opposite.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: July 30, 2018, 01:17:16 pm »

Work to become part of the JET program then, and become a cog of the Japanese machine teaching English to Japanese students

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: July 30, 2018, 01:56:53 pm »

There's a new anime on the block: "Cells at Work" it's a delightful little show that anthropomorphizes the body's cells as people, and dramatizes their adventures, just like "Osmosis Jones" but Moe. The slight sadness I'm reporting doesn't come from the show, it's fun and educational in all the right ways, it's just that I find myself tearing up when watching it, almost unconsciously, because the show depicts such a wonderful and functioning community and the show reminds me how badly I long to be a part of society that is so closely knit, caring, and hardworking... and how what I actually exist in is so nearly the opposite.
"And that's what the cellular community looks like in a healthy, normal body! Now, let's take a look at the cells in my body! Or, as I like to call it, the ghetto."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: July 30, 2018, 03:14:47 pm »

I was going to make a joke but any overstranding between my body and the concept of ghettos immediately made it all very racist.
Love, scriver~

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: July 30, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »

my body is pretty much like cells at work except all the cells move at half speed and are constantly screaming things like "what? he did fucking what? he ate fucking what? you're fucking with me right???"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:00:33 pm by ggamer »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: July 30, 2018, 08:49:40 pm »

Work to become part of the JET program then, and become a cog of the Japanese machine teaching English to Japanese students

I'm not trying to imply I'm envious of Japanese society. From what I know of it, from testimonials of weebs like Gaijin Goomba, it matches the 'hardworking' descriptor, but not the 'caring or close knit' ones. It might be even worse in that regard than America, especially towards me, with the undercurrent of Xenophobia towards Americans and other foreigners.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: July 31, 2018, 04:16:54 am »

You've gotta be some special kind of fucked up to officially reprimand an employee for getting pregnant before her superior did.

I thought they at least had a good sense of communal child care/supervision, but that idea wasn't necessarily from the most trustworthy of sources.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: July 31, 2018, 08:48:17 am »

You've gotta be some special kind of fucked up to officially reprimand an employee for getting pregnant before her superior did.

What now?
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: July 31, 2018, 12:08:46 pm »

What now?

Context required.

My wife got fired for being pregnant. That was fun.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »

In Japan?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: July 31, 2018, 03:08:38 pm »

What now?

Context required.

Here you go. Have fun.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: July 31, 2018, 03:46:43 pm »

What now?

Context required.

Here you go. Have fun.

Basically exactly that, but in the USA.

Lady that did it had even gone through her own maternity period at work and assigned herself paperwork/desk duties for the duration. She got fired eventually but it was too late.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: July 31, 2018, 04:35:13 pm »

You can, uh, pursue some legal reparations there considering that's entirely illegal. Assuming you're USofAsian

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:26 pm »

You can, uh, pursue some legal reparations there considering that's entirely illegal. Assuming you're USofAsian

We definitely considered it, because it is totes mcgoats super illegal here in the US, but it was a case where it would essentially cost us more to sue than it would to move on. Also it was a matter of proving the motive behind the firing. Their corporate offices certainly were on our side after they investigated and fired her, and they offered to hire her back, but my wife was ready to give birth at that time and couldn't work at that point.

Her manager essentially figured out a way to hide it for long enough that it became moot. We almost lost our home, but we pulled through and everything is relatively fine these days.

C'est la vie.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:49 pm »

Today has just been one of those days where you need to buy the small carton of chocolate milk on your second trip to the grocery store and start drinking it while you walk back home, like a grown man.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 779