Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858909 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3885 on: May 04, 2018, 08:31:25 pm »

Usually a good idea to handle hunger first.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: May 04, 2018, 11:44:17 pm »

One fellow who got spread around an awful lot stated that it was "anyone born between the years of 2000 and 1986".
Wait, why do you emphasise the 86? That's the one that's actually in the right range; it's the 2000 that's way off. Millennials are supposed to be people who were reaching young adulthood on the cusp of the millennium.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: May 05, 2018, 03:50:39 am »

Well, I wasn't aware of the technical definition of the term, I was just reacting to the fairly broad strokes he used to classify the social group to which he was referring.

The rest of the talk was basically just one big pandering waffle... "Millenials are whiny, weak, narcissistic, socially incompetent and irresponsible... But it's okay, it's their parents' fault".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: May 05, 2018, 09:54:58 pm »

One fellow who got spread around an awful lot stated that it was "anyone born between the years of 2000 and 1986".
Wait, why do you emphasise the 86? That's the one that's actually in the right range; it's the 2000 that's way off. Millennials are supposed to be people who were reaching young adulthood on the cusp of the millennium.

If Milennial is a generation of the same scale as the other generations then it should span at least 15 years if not 20 years. I've noticed some Milennials want to define their own generation as a very narrow one, which - i strongly suspect - is centred on their own personal birthday, because the argument is usually that they "can't relate" with people born more than 5 years on either side of their own birth year. Which is an extremely self-centred way to define a "generation" since you'd therefore be lumping in people +5 years older with people -5 years younger, e.g. 10 years apart because of the personal "i can't related to people more than 5 years older/younger than me as being in my 'generation' "

Nope, just stick it at 20 years, or 15 being generous - since we're already lumping in Baby Boomers and Generation X as being 20 years long each. One possible fix for the mentioned issue is to shrink Gen X to 15 years, 1965-1980, then say Millennials are 1981-1995. Gen Z would then be 1996-2010.

EDIT: if you want the "cusp of the millennium" definition to work, then you need the center of the cohort turning 18 in 2000, so you want 1982 +/- 7 years. This would give you Boomers: 1946-1960, Gen X, 1961-1975, Millennials 1976-1990, Gen Z: 1991- 2005. This is a neat definition, but it's non-standard compared to how people actually use the terminology. However, a more standard interpretation would be the "first generation who came of age after the millennium", which the 1986-2000 cohort matches.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:08:43 pm by Reelya »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: May 05, 2018, 10:45:38 pm »

Well, I wasn't aware of the technical definition of the term, I was just reacting to the fairly broad strokes he used to classify the social group to which he was referring.

The rest of the talk was basically just one big pandering waffle... "Millenials are whiny, weak, narcissistic, socially incompetent and irresponsible... But it's okay, it's their parents' fault".

In this context, there really isn't one. Births happen continuously in our population, so there are no really informative ways to divide that continuum without being needlessly general. Which, since they're usually used in service of promulgating stereotypes (and comical levels of pedantry), is exactly the point.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: May 05, 2018, 11:04:05 pm »

Urrrghh I have a nasty stomach ache and there is nowhere to sit at this bus stop.
(I did have a seat, but some disgusting woman came and sat nearby with a troop of noisy children that she made no effort to control. People like that should be sterilised and their children put in the state's care.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

blazing glory

« Reply #3891 on: May 09, 2018, 02:57:43 pm »

Me bloody nose is blocked an' I can't fuckin' breathe

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: May 09, 2018, 08:16:50 pm »

Yup, that's the season/weather finally shifting into spring/summer/fuck-all-living-things mode. The bugs are back their full humanphagic bastardry. It was nice mostly not having to remember I live in a swamp for a while :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

blazing glory

« Reply #3893 on: May 09, 2018, 11:47:32 pm »

The sad part is that I'm not even on the right side of the planet for that, it's approaching winter nowadays.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: May 09, 2018, 11:56:01 pm »

Fall fucks up my tubes infinitely more than spring ever can.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: May 10, 2018, 08:30:28 am »

I am depressed again. I should make a graph of my episodes of depression.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: May 10, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »

I am depressed again. I should make a graph of my episodes of depression.

Journals/timelines are generally considered to be a pretty good idea for dealing with episodes, or at least getting a better understanding of the underlying causes. The problem, of course, is getting motivated enough to actually write an entry when you're having one, heh...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: May 10, 2018, 07:21:08 pm »

Ain't that the truth.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: May 10, 2018, 07:44:11 pm »

That's my definition of the range of millenial as well, basically those that were teenagers during the 90's and came of age around the turn of the millenium.

Trekkin has a point about births happening continually, so you can't really divide generations into a continuum. So, with the exception of the baby boomers which are centered on the postwar baby boom, the others are more or less centered around a cultural continuum rather than a fully generational based one.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:53 pm »

The problem, of course, is getting motivated enough to actually write an entry when you're having one, heh...
I feel personally attacked. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 779