Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858973 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3735 on: March 21, 2018, 06:20:00 pm »

good old electoral college, the only reason it exists is because the government thought normal people couldn't handle elections
No, it exists because before the adoption of the Constitution the states were essentially independent entities, and less-populous states refused to ratify unless they could be promised that the big states wouldn't dominate the political process. Back then, you were a New Yorker (say) first and an American second if at all, and you certainly didn't trust the people in those other states to have your state's interests at heart.

That's the first time I've heard that as an explaination. And no, it was a compromise between the slaveholding southern states which had more slaves than non-slaves and the northern states. Plus it being a compromise between the larger states and the smaller states.

Which, uh, I have to say, looks pretty vindicated.

Is that supposed to be a jab at California? ;) lol

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: March 21, 2018, 06:24:16 pm »

And no, it was a compromise between the slaveholding southern states which had more slaves than non-slaves and the northern states. Plus it being a compromise between the larger states and the smaller states.
You say "no" but those are literally the same thing

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: March 21, 2018, 06:45:14 pm »

I don't know why it's hard to understand that rural states don't want to be dominated utterly by urban states.

I don't think it actually is hard to understand. I don't think there are many people who don't understand this.

I think that people pretend they don't get it because of the most recent election, and they think they are being clever instead of obnoxiously obtuse.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: March 21, 2018, 07:35:41 pm »

Does Wisconsin count as a rural state, if so then I'm from one and I want that, as this election in particular proves the faults of such a system

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: March 21, 2018, 07:38:31 pm »

Does Wisconsin count as a rural state, if so then I'm from one and I want that, as this election in particular proves the faults of such a system
This election in particular was the system working perfectly.

I'm from an urban, populous state and I can see this. :|

You don't have to like the results to realise that they are what the system was designed to produce, for a good reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: March 21, 2018, 07:44:24 pm »

And no, it was a compromise between the slaveholding southern states which had more slaves than non-slaves and the northern states. Plus it being a compromise between the larger states and the smaller states.
You say "no" but those are literally the same thing

I kind of only read the second sentence, somehow.

This election in particular was the system working perfectly.

I'm from an urban, populous state and I can see this. :|

You don't have to like the results to realise that they are what the system was designed to produce, for a good reason.

He might be referring to the fact that the populous states have more EC votes than less populous states.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:45 pm »

I kind of only read the second sentence, somehow.
Oh, haha, I just said "New Yorker" because that's my state, not because it was directly relevant to the compromise.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: March 21, 2018, 10:28:01 pm »

I don't know why it's hard to understand that rural states don't want to be dominated utterly by urban states.

I don't think it actually is hard to understand. I don't think there are many people who don't understand this.

I think that people pretend they don't get it because of the most recent election, and they think they are being clever instead of obnoxiously obtuse.
I wonder if it's as frustrating as living in an urban area of an east coast state and having the rural areas decide the governor, senators, and most of the representatives?  Such concentrated groups of people, mechanically disenfranchised, might get resentful.

But a person in North Dakota (760,000 people) shouldn't have to feel dominated either.  Agricultural states getting dominated by dense population centers didn't turn out well last time.  That's why I'm just fine with every North Dakotan literally getting 10X as much representation in the Senate.  The Senate is the equalizer of states.

What bothers me is that they get 2X as much influence over the electoral college.  People in less-populated states get mad because their individual states don't get much time, but that's ignoring how much they get courted as a bloc.  It also helps if the states have any chance of swinging, of course.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:36 pm »

I would like to point out the electoral college has noting to do with compensating for urban rural divides or anything like that. And state boundaries are generally terrible as they have little relation to modern realities. The EC needs scraped, it makes no sense and never worked in the first place for what it was designed to do. There is a really good reason none of the other 200 odd countries on the planet use our stupid system. don't pretend its good, its shit and in desperate need for reform.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: March 21, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »

The urban/rural divide as we see it didn't exist in the 18th century anyway. Yes, there was a split or friction between urban centers and rural areas, there always has been, but it wasn't the sharp polarizing split that we see today.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: March 22, 2018, 08:24:06 am »

I'm not sure if I felt bad earlier, but I certainly do now.
Hard to pin down just why... I do have a little bit of a cold (thanks, sudden temperature change and workplace full of sick co-workers), but I think the amount of procrastination I just inconvenienced myself by doing, my vague, nagging desires for a change of scenery, the clothes I forgot to take out of the washing machine (shit, I'll do it tomorrow, honest) and the general bleakness of existence all have a hand in it as well.
I feel pretty bad. I wish I had a nice comfy reading spot to just curl up in...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: March 22, 2018, 09:08:47 am »

good old electoral college, the only reason it exists is because the government thought normal people couldn't handle elections
No, it exists because before the adoption of the Constitution the states were essentially independent entities, and less-populous states refused to ratify unless they could be promised that the big states wouldn't dominate the political process. Back then, you were a New Yorker (say) first and an American second if at all, and you certainly didn't trust the people in those other states to have your state's interests at heart.

I remember the college was made after normal people were able to vote, it was something about how the government and the rich thought they weren't educated enough to vote correctly.

but I could be wrong about that.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: March 22, 2018, 12:35:57 pm »

The EC is based on the number of Senators plus Representatives in a state, so the citizen's vote simply tells then who to vote for, state-by-state.

TBH I wish voting was treated more like Jury duty. Not only is it a right, but a duty of the citizen to vote and there are penalties to not voting, even if it's just to cast a blank ballot.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:23 pm »

The EC is based on the number of Senators plus Representatives in a state, so the citizen's vote simply tells then who to vote for, state-by-state.

TBH I wish voting was treated more like Jury duty. Not only is it a right, but a duty of the citizen to vote and there are penalties to not voting, even if it's just to cast a blank ballot.
Also, y'know, the EC folks don't actually have to vote like their states did. They usually do, but nothing stopping them otherwise.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: March 22, 2018, 12:39:10 pm »

I know that, I'm just talking about why it was made.
same, I also wish people would stop voting for memes
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 779