Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 792

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1088844 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2625 on: February 28, 2017, 01:47:03 pm »

(Honestly I think the legal age for any drug should be 21 all 'round...You know, at roughly the point where it doesn't get to play havoc upon developing brains.)
Oh, that's a horrible idea. You know what's great about letting kids take LSD? Their parents are still around. So you start by sharing a tab or two that somebody smuggled away from his parents, then you start having a couple dozen micrograms a night, but nothing too intense, since that's hard to get... Usually one of your friends has permissive parents, so you'll get the stuff before you're legally allowed to buy it yourself. But whatever you try, a responsible adult is never that far away, and you're usually in a safe environment, so nothing really bad can happen. The absolute worst would be a bad trip, but your parents' wrath will keep a check on that, too.

And so by the time you're on your own, living in a big town, buying your own groceries, studying or whatever, LSD is just another thing. It's not a taboo to break, and having a bad trip is not a way to prove your independence from your parents - it's just a way to embarass yourself in front of your friends, showing them you can't handle your LSD.

TL;DR: LSD is a cultural thing, so people need to learn how to deal with it. Being introduced to it slowly and under a degree of supervision is preferrable to ostrich tactics.

This is what most alcohol discussion reads like to me, except I know that alcohol is worse for you than LSD, because all actual evidence points to that.
If LSD use was wide-spread and an ingrained part of our culture, making eradication impossible, the above wouldn't be all that bad, no?

Example: Smoking opium in areas where that's a traditional thing is very different from smoking opium in a Western country.

Well, opium is opium regardless of where in the world you're smoking it, and will have the same effects on its user. Likewise just because a society don't see a person's dependence on opium as troublesome doesn't that that person doesn't have a dependence on opium.

And if you think society's relationship with alcohol can't change, just look at how the perception of tobacco has evolved over the years.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2626 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »

I mean, LSD has been pretty prolific in the scientific community, and has lead to some pretty ground breaking stuff. (see DNA) Everything in moderation, but i think it's an odd double standard that people are so ok with fucking with thier biology for anything even mildly medical related, but so averse to doing so for any other reason.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Well when it comes to medicine it's a little different. I think opening up your torso is frowned upon in polite society, for example, but when used for a precise medical purpose it can be worth the trouble. More specific to pharmacological arguments, for example I regard my medication not so much as "fucking it up" as correcting a neurochemical mistake. It's been carefully prescribed and I take it precisely as I am told, and it has the given and expected effects because a doctor monitored me when I first took it to watch for side effects, etc.

Ah, be careful. My mum's like that, and her very stringent anti-alcohol stance made my relationship with the stuff a bit... complicated. Less would have been more in this case.
Well my mother said very little at all. Perhaps if I got caught reeking of alcohol or something she would have changed her tune, but she was pretty solidly in the "don't be stupid, have fun" category. And that led to both of her children becoming teetotalers. Where does that fit in your schema?

The answer is probably that alcohol usage doesn't directly correlate to what your parents tell you about alcohol, but to other factors like availability, level of drinking in the home (which was nonexistent at my house, although my mother has no rule against it; it's just an unnecessary expense), how your parents treat you in general, socio-economic category, the type of friends you have, etc.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, LSD has been pretty prolific in the scientific community, and has lead to some pretty ground breaking stuff. (see DNA) Everything in moderation, but i think it's an odd double standard that people are so ok with fucking with thier biology for anything even mildly medical related, but so averse to doing so for any other reason.

LSD is also physically harmless, although it presents certain psychological hazards to vulnerable populations.

Alcohol is toxic to anyone who habitually consumes it in excess (although similarly the number of people peculiarly inclined to addiction are limited).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Incredibly mild sad: I finished my beer.    Also, LSD is great.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

My screen is broken again.

This is mild because of the three different ways in which my screen has been broken over the past two weeks, this version is easily the least annoying. It's just a crack, and something that looks like static-ink. A little annoying, but most of my screen is perfectly fine. i also already wanted to get this replaced (I had an HD before, I got a standard only because of time). And I'd bet it's a great conversation starter.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Got that general shitty feeling that comes from being sick, eating garbage and not getting enough sleep.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

There's a coyote in the woods not far away that just won't shut the fuck up. Neither will our dog. I really just want to sleep
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

There's a coyote in the woods not far away that just won't shut the fuck up. Neither will our dog. I really just want to sleep
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile

I'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul that i'm a better fiddler than you!
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile

SPAMKINGDOM+ means I really should have kept going with my SPAMKINGDOM binge instead of arbitrarily stopping because the first game ended.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul that i'm a better fiddler than you!

Well you're probably right because I've never once played a fiddle and I'm not a dumb hick so I'm not going to accept that bet. Feck off, evil dog.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're having a doggy d'n'm.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

Do not move?
Did not mind?
Diddly niddly middly?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Group project time. Group is in favor of doing the absolute least work possible and aiming for a solid no-effort C on one of the biggest assignments in the class. I don't care, I hate this class anyway.

I can't do anything productive. I'm exhausted and everything seems totally pointless, unimportant and put-off-able right now. I complain all day about never getting to do anything creative, then I finally have some time and end up doing stupid shit like video games or anime, or something that doesn't matter to me (like a group project nobody in my group cares about) for hours on end before I go to bed feeling unaccomplished and lazy.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 792