Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 795

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1127462 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10455 on: October 17, 2022, 07:30:37 pm »

Trying to find the right thread to post something but it's impossible because 90% of the threads on this fucking board are scoops novel spamming low-effort bullshit. 
Shoes...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: October 17, 2022, 07:43:39 pm »

Legit debt collection should be via written mail. If it’s email or phone it’s not likely legit.
Also check your credit report and make sure you didn’t have someone use your identity.

I received several fake phone calls/messages over the span of a few months a few years ago trying to say I was behind on a utility bill… it was a well-publicized scam.

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: October 18, 2022, 02:25:33 pm »

I feel like I'm being gaslit rn because no one seems surprised that I couldn't sell this CO2 cartridge to the metal scrappers.  People are mostly like "Oh yeah canisters might have dangerous gas" and at the same time "Just saw it in half like they asked"

It's marked CO2, and the valve was already open, but I *completely* understand why they didn't want it from me in that state.  I was fine when they asked me to take the valve off - who can trust a decades-old valve, or a label on a 4-ft-long canister?  It says CO2 but there could be anything in there, and the valve might be clogged!  It's not their job to check (I don't know who's job it IS, but I GUESS IT'S MINE, that's... okay!)

But I'm UPSET because I took it back to them and someone else told me something completely different, that I need to saw it in half.  And people in my life just accept that that's a reasonable thing for ME TO DO??  And my dad thinks I should confirm that it's aluminum for them.

because when I think of an industrial scrap operation, I know two things:  They can only handle handfuls of metal at a time, and they DON'T HAVE MAGNETS???  Whereas yeah sure I'll just break out my tablesaw (I jest.  he just wants me to come hang out and borrow his boomer-tools so he can justify his toys)

This is fucking absurd.  It's a large chunk of safe aluminum (I don't believe for a second this is steel, and even if I'm wrong it's not my job to check).  I took it to "professionals" and they handled my situation completely ineptly.  I'm going full Karen over this.  "You gotta saw it in half" FUCKER DO I LOOK LIKE I SAW FOOT-DIAMETER METAL CYLINDERS IN HALF??  fuck maybe I do.  I certainly don't mind doing dirty jobs.  Maybe it's a smell thing.  I probably smell like working class.  I take that as a compliment but that doesn't mean I have a metal scrapping operation in my "backyard"!  Bold of them to assume I have a yard at all!

I've been cleaning toilets and a kitchen and maggoty piles of food, and hauling trash and recycling to the APPROPRIATE places, including what dipshits dumped in my personal bin at HOME.  I'm not "beneath" shit.  But I draw the line at amateur metalworking.  Everyone involved in this can fuck right off.  If this scrap wasn't worth upwards of $10 I'd be planting it behind someone's Prius.  FUCK.
YES I'M SCARED OF TAKING A METAL SAW TO A BIGASS FOOT-DIAMETER CYLINDER WITH NO CLAMP
I'M A COWARD I GUESS
NOT MY JOB

ALSO I CAN BARELY SPEAK RN DUE TO SOME THROAT THING AND I FIND THAT FRUSTRATING
though my whisper-voice is quite soft, that's pleasant <3

(also maybe it is steel and I'm strong than I think  :) )
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: October 18, 2022, 03:01:12 pm »

Oh nono... When you mentioned it the first time allready gave up once trying to write an answer. :( I don't know which angle to come at it from, I have no real help to offer, just that everything you said sounds way too familiar and I've gone numb a while ago.

Those things are a nuisance because work safety standards don't allow us to threat them legally, something happens insurance is null.

They're supposed to be in some sort of deposit cycle, you get your money back once they take their canister back.

All of which results in oftentimes the person meaning to do the right thing being left holding the bag.

You might have gotten lucky because some worker there was understanding of your situation and would probably have passed it off as "woops I didn't see that sorry I'll try to pay better attention next time".

But you weren't lucky, now they know you and might have to be careful, or you get blessed by our god lord and somebody forwarded the issue higher up begging for some real solutions for once.

We're currently stashing old helium tanks in our office because we're tired of not having something sensible to tell folks, my money is on: someday they will vanish out of the office, we will get a half answer, and everything will stay the same.

:(

Find somebody who trades with those bottles, have them take it off you free of charge hopefully, and be done with the godforsaken canister, it's not worth your health. Yes realistically helium and CO2 are more or less inert and safe gasses, that being said even a kamikaze MF like myself never tried to pierce one. Not worth the risk.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 03:14:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: October 18, 2022, 03:09:50 pm »

Can't you just leave the tank in a landfill at this point? (or maybe in someone else's backyard)
Or maybe pass it on to some unsuspecting punk like it's a cursed artifact for something
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: October 18, 2022, 03:22:06 pm »

moved my edit into a new post because tamer was so quick:

Honestly I can't even judge if they'd enjoy you take the risk in their place, so they can trade the metal, or if they'd rather have everybody be safe and every material in it's correct channel. To be entirely honest that might depend on the person working there and their mood of the day. It's all shite I tell you!

If it's a scrapyard, their considerations are money vs risk. If it's a recycling center the problem lies probably more somewhere in the realm of: this is our duty vs I cannot be responsible of every stupid shit, and also if it's a recycling center they'd absolutely prefer you refer to them as something in that vein, because people considering it a "dump" or a "landfill" are an issue to those places.

Are there private landfills in the USA where you can dump for money? I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in the EU. But who knows. But I'd reckon if there are landfills, they're not some sort of public facing private business, but a channel of some larger operation, and I doubt private people are supposed to be able to access them.
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: October 18, 2022, 03:27:35 pm »

Oh I'll probably just take it to my dad's tomorrow and saw the damn thing.  He needs something hauled anyway.
I just shouldn't have to.

I could probably hand it off to my city's waste disposal center, they accept CRT monitors for free.
mostly I just needed to scream a bit

I kinda like the idea that people look at me and assume I can just saw metal like this.  I'm just scared of saws and sparks and stuff.

Edit: Now if I *can't* scrap this properly for recycling value, there IS a phone number on it for "proper" returning to it's owners.  I called them first thing, and they said they don't want it anymore.
They're half an hour out of town, but I'll toss this on their doorstep rather than in the woods.  It's technically their responsibility, and they were VERY rude to me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 03:33:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: October 18, 2022, 03:32:04 pm »

Saws aren't that scary, they only lop off people's fingers on occasion. Fingers for the Saw God, and all that.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: October 18, 2022, 03:39:31 pm »

I can only tell you how it works here but what you describe seem to stick:

CRT monitors and other electronics are accepted because the manufacturers allready paid, or rather had their customers pay their contribution to those recycling channels.

But these signs signs here

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might be like garlic to vampires, just as much to your waste disposal center, as it is to us at our job... It's silly I know.

We refer all people who have those heavy tanks, to a shop who sells propane. He is the good guy in this and he will gracefully send them down the correct channels, it doesn't seem to be an issue for him. I'm somewhat convinced places who trade with canisters but refuse to take them back just don't want to deal with any extra work. Our issue specifically is with helium tanks, he doesn't take those stupid small 5l helium tanks, and as I said our hands are bound because of some safety symbol.
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: October 19, 2022, 02:41:24 am »

Be safe, rolan
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: October 23, 2022, 06:40:22 pm »

I tried to make a star system generator geared for my new game. But the stupid website didn't let me, for reasons I cannot fathom. The save button was missing, so all I the code wrote went down the drain. There is no way to make a new generator.

Oh well, I have the Astropedia, and the star generator. With a simple, five sided dice, I could use their combined input to procedurally generate star systems. Sure, there will be some holes in its function here and there, but nothing I can't fix.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: October 24, 2022, 12:48:12 pm »

The kitchen sink won't drain. I am unreasonably stressed about it. We have so many dishes that need to be washed, I feel grimy and gross, it's in my best interests to take all these dishes to my next apartment down the road and wash them there, but also I need to do laundry cuz, y'know, I've soiled towels and clothes and things from futzing with the kitchen sink, and this is all getting in the way of the packing/cleaning my roommate and I have to do before the weekend.

Oh, and the plumber won't be by until tomorrow.

I am straight-up not having a good time today.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: October 24, 2022, 01:05:05 pm »

Don't you have a large plastic bowl? Wash them there and flush the dirty water down the loo. Or use the bathroom sink.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: October 25, 2022, 07:15:14 pm »

Microsoft Word has, after two years, finally realised I don't actually have a product key. No idea why it never prompted me for one.

Slight issue because I don't want to fork out a load of money for it, and my CV has a typo.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: October 25, 2022, 07:30:35 pm »

Can't you use google docs or libre office?
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 795