Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Foundations of Government (OOC)  (Read 14847 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foundations of Government (OOC)
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 08:44:13 am »

Instate the Aigre. Aigre for Finance minster.

I will whip this tax system into shape through paperwork kungfu.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:14 am »

I've edited some of my actions, or rather just added one in. I've made it red, so you know which one.

Link, so you can find it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 01:22:13 pm »

Just letting you guys know so you aren't surprised by the next turn; the Taxes Consolidation Act provided organized rules for tax collection, but it did nothing in actually aiding in the collection of taxes. You're unsure how many taxes you'll receive because there's no employees whose goal it is to find out; and no one whose job it is to collect them/organize them (though using armed goons to go door to door will likely provide atleast some result).
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Nunzillor

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 02:20:37 pm »

Just letting you guys know so you aren't surprised by the next turn; the Taxes Consolidation Act provided organized rules for tax collection, but it did nothing in actually aiding in the collection of taxes. You're unsure how many taxes you'll receive because there's no employees whose goal it is to find out; and no one whose job it is to collect them/organize them (though using armed goons to go door to door will likely provide atleast some result).
Hi Aigre, with this in mind I do think The Ministry of Finance would be most useful.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:25:44 pm by Nunzillor »

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:28 pm »

I'm going a temporary hire auditors and tax collectors which will then transfer to another department when done.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2016, 01:32:08 am »

If elected, I pledge to bring this beast under control through...

Census,
Registration of properties, land and businesses,

Working with the ministry of truth to communicate our will and policies to the people. I'm thinking of:

Public Broadcast systems: Attention! Collect your ID cards and file for taxes naow!
National Newspapers...

If the situation is really really shit, to the level where no one listens short of goons knocking on their door, I think setting up tolls and checkpoints will be a more feasible means than door to door collections. We could combine it with a system of Roman-Style tax farming to keep our bureaucrats loyal through sanctioned totally-not-corruption... But that's a worst case scenario option.
Another variation of straight up tax farming is rent farming. Seize the most important business areas and then grow from there. This is more centralized in execution, but again it's a blunt instrument.

One way to shake up the system and deal with any apathy towards new policies would be to do things like: Attention, all businesses are now illegal unless you purchase a government license. All law abiding business owners MUST register their businesses immediately. Anyone else is subject to property seizure and criminal action...

Once we bring legal businesses into line, we can slowly bring the Urban pops into line. Then work on our rurals, and people on the fringe. Go for highest impact and highest returns first.

DontBanTheMan: What do we have in the way of public infrastructure, public services, cities, ports, rural developments and natural resources?

I see we've tried to tax cars and trains. How are our roads and railways doing? (I propose the checkpoint method to solve immediate collection issues for this, until we can keep tabs on every single vehicle and make people comply with our laws requiring them to register all vehicles.)

Agriculture wise, what can we grow?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:52:21 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Nunzillor

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2016, 02:14:41 am »

Public broadcasting systems blaring government propaganda at every street corner is exactly the sort of dystopianprogressive policy that the Ministry of Truth would support.  You have my vote!

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 02:22:06 am »

Well techwise only broadcasting methods we have now is newspaper and gossipers. until either tv broadcasting or internet made hehe.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2016, 02:52:49 am »

As an accountant, I would say that accounting professionals are completely useless without things actually getting done. You can't have beancounters without beans actually getting planted, grown and harvested.

If the bid to hire them goes through, I would re-license them all, retain them in government employ and use them in our plans for business registration. A smaller portion of them will work on getting some credibility into the profession by making all paperwork conform to internationally established accounting and bookkeeping standards.

Then, require all businesses (maybe in the capital city for starters) with a permanent premise (we won't bother with the hotdog pushcart man just yet) to register themselves with the government or be foreclosed. (Oh god the queues and paperwork avalanche). Require all honest registered businesses to employ a government approved accountant or bookkeeper. ($500 a week for accountants for businesses with a turnover above 1 million. $100 a week for a bookkeeper for all smaller sized enterprises) The accounting staff will look over the shoulders of everyone and be entitled to half the payments. The other half goes back to the ministry.

When there is some semblance of order and control, we can start thinking about imposing and enforcing blanket taxes. In the meantime, we'll make do with things like registration fees.

Loudspeakers are pretty simple tech... And so are those old soviet and chinese style public announcement systems...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:00:25 am by Aigre Excalibur »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2016, 05:13:40 pm »

I've edited in a few actions, as well as correct an unforgivable error with my letter. I'm feeling rather embarrassed right now.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Nunzillor

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2016, 06:09:45 pm »

DBTM: I've made some very minor edits to the proposal I'm submitting.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:12 pm »

DontBanTheMan: What do we have in the way of public infrastructure, public services, cities, ports, rural developments and natural resources?

I see we've tried to tax cars and trains. How are our roads and railways doing? (I propose the checkpoint method to solve immediate collection issues for this, until we can keep tabs on every single vehicle and make people comply with our laws requiring them to register all vehicles.)

Agriculture wise, what can we grow?

Alot of this information is simply stuff that needs to be discovered in game, but generally the following:
- Unsure how roads/railways are doing; infrastructure scouts are currently searching for disrepair, but there haven't been any major huge failures recently to your knowledge.
- Public infrastructure mostly consists of 2 or 4-lane roads, with inter-city travel being almost entirely via railway for lack of decent highways. Public services; read in-game stuff unless you're asking for a specific thing. Cities; the Capital, one or two other cities. Condition of said cities is unknown since no one's bothered to check since the revolution ended. Ports; read in-game, once again. Rural developments are unsure; mostly farms to your knowledge. Natural resources: for the most part, agriculture. There's a few assorted resources being exploited by private companies (coal and iron), no oil to your knowledge. Once again, it's to be discovered.
- For the agriculture thing; conduct a survey. For the most part, whatever is grown in the Balkans. That's where this game takes place.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2016, 10:51:31 pm »

I would like to join as one of the following:
Ministry of Espionage: Spying on enemies within and without.
Ministry of Information: Informs everyone about things. Controls what is released to the public. Works with the Ministry of criminality and the Ministry of truth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:23:31 pm by Liberonscien »
Discord: Liberonscien#0930

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:55 am »

Well we don't have ministry of sport, culture(religion, arts, ), environment(enviromental laws, parks)-community planning(local councils, planning zones, etc.) or social protection(dealing with youths, family stuff)

Two ministries being voted in this turn would have education(knowledge) and enterprise(Commerce and Labor) roles.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:19:30 am by flazeo25 »

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:24 am »

Well we don't have ministry of sport, culture(religion, arts, ), environment(enviromental laws, parks)-community planning(local councils, planning zones, etc.) or social protection(dealing with youths, family stuff)

Two ministries being voted in this turn would have education(knowledge) and enterprise(Commerce and Labor) roles.
Alright.
I see.
I would like to run Ministry of Education, then.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:11:20 am by Liberonscien »
Discord: Liberonscien#0930
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16