Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Foundations of Government (OOC)  (Read 14836 times)

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foundations of Government (OOC)
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »

Ammunition will not decrease peacetime supply cost. The $10 per Soldier cost represents things like rations, textiles (replacing clothing, backpacks, the like), repairing equipment, toiletries, magazines, etc.

$10 is rather low supply spending, but it could be decreased even further to maybe $7ish; there'd be a helluva lot of complaints, though. $30ish would be pretty high supply spending (as one might see in a modern country) [you could also not supply soldiers, but they'd be furious on their already-low wage. That'd be a great way to have a coup].
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Nunzillor

« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2016, 07:35:48 pm »

Thanks for the explanations.  Also, if I exchanged embassies in Debril, shouldn't I be receiving $150/weekly from them?

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2016, 01:29:56 am »

It's assumed that by exchanging embassies, you aren't charging them and they aren't charging you. They probably wouldn't be too pleased if you made them pay for their lodgings when they're letting you stay for free.

Nunzillor

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2016, 02:36:01 am »

Ah... that makes sense.  Honestly, I don't really know what I'm doing.  I have a feeling my Ministry is a disaster waiting to happen.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2016, 02:57:21 am »

In my personal opinion, I think most of you are doing pretty well. The ones (you and Transportation) who are positive without tax income are golden, and Engineering's been doing a good job of keeping the gears running while the rest of you have been messing around with balancing your incomes. Adv. Defense is probably larger than everyone else combined, and is still trying to expand; he's very precise, which I like. If any one of you is likely to shoot yourself in the foot, it'll probably be Advanced Defense or Criminality tbh. Both of em have problems with funds, wages, and immoral activities. Looking forward to Ghazkull's compound being finished, too; it seems like it'll be alot of !FUN!.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »

DBTM: Not sure if I should necessarily be doing this OOC, but can I get some projections on costs for improving the prison sweatshops workshops, as well as potential income from doing what I wanna do?

You said this in turn 4 regarding it:

Quote from: Don'tBandTheMan
... The cost to set up the basic workshops (which have basic functionality; no smelteries or the like) was $3000. Goods worth roughly $0.5/work hour are made. Earnings can be increased through increasing work hours, training prisoners, adopting a more factorized system (with trained foremen and the like), and improving the workshops into proper factories (the cost would be in the tens of thousands of dollars). At current, the workshops have a capacity of three hundred prisoners [150 each prison] (cost to expand is $10/prisoner, but would require additional cost of expansion due to limited building capacity)...

So a few questions/desires:

1. Cost to expand is $10/prisoner. There are 70 (70*10=700) prisoners not working at any given time in the medium security prison, and 30 (30*10=300)  in minimum security. That means a minimum cost of (700+300=) $1,000 without considering the additional cost due to lack of space. How much to get everyone in medium and minimum security to be working?

2. A ballpark figure for improving the workshops into proper factories as "tens of thousands" is rather a wide range heh. Would it also be on a scaling system? For example, if you say it would cost $50k to turn one of them into a proper factory, but I only really wanted half of the prisoners to be working in a factory-like setting for whatever reason... would that cost $25k?

3. Another thought would be for Iskra, the company that provided the $200k investment, to provide free training for the prisoners at large (seeing as this benefits the company greatly) as well as some scheme they can run to provide some of the guards (or exceptionally well-behaved prisoners) foreman training. On top of this, some kind of analyst/expert to provide some guidance on what would be the most efficient setup of the stuff in questions 1 and 2. You mentioned I could add a few things in to the contract that I was offered by Iskra; is this something I can add?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2016, 02:39:40 am »

The problem with "price of factories" is not all factories are the same, and may incur separate costs. For example, flaze had factories but had to refurbish them with equipment to produce weapons. First you'll have to "factorize" the workshops (we'll say $5 per 100 prisoners, so maybe $50k to set up a factory large enough to accommodate 1000 prisoners). You'll also have to pay extra for security measures, so round the $50k up to $60k. Then, you'll need to decide what you want to produce; weapons would be useful, but producing them may flood the market once you and flaze both take off so it may be wise to make something else. Canned food is also very useful, but may not have as high profit margins. Textiles, steel, cars, tools, furniture, etc. are all examples of what you might produce. The price for this equipment is estimated, but essentially the more steps/materials involved, the higher cost. So to make a car involves alot of steps/materials, so it'd be very expensive. Steel is simple, and would have inexpensive equipment. This price is about $30k to $120k per thousand workers (flaze spent $90k on refurbishing his factories to produce weapons). So, we can estimate the price to refurbish all your workshops to factories to be about $90-$180 per prisoner. The potential income will be similar to what flazeo is making; POTENTIALLY (you won't make this much) up to or over $100/unit (these would be VERY efficient, modern factories producing a good in very high demand - weapons during war, for example), but more likely closer to $40 or $50/unit. 1 Worker will probably provide 1 WP, so $40 or $50 per worker in a good scenario. It'll be probably be lower to start - $30/worker, or $22.5/worker (with the 75% price reduction). Flazeo's factory is making nearly $60/worker (not including wages); however, weapons are in high demand right now and his workers are better-trained (prisoners will probably work very slowly, atleast to start). If you're lucky, you might be able to get near his profits within a few weeks.

1. The price to get everyone in the medium and minimum security prisons would be (if there are 100 not working in each) about $1000 to expand the workshops, and an additional cost. The neighboring structures are private property; shops, houses, and/or warehouses. The average cost of buying them out might be $5k to $15k each, and then you'd have to tear down some walls and restructure the prison. This would cost a few hundred or thousand in materials (probably no more than $5k) and a few thousand in expert/manpower costs (could be voided with maybe ten of Tophat's experts and the labor of your prisoners). To expand both would therefore cost maybe $15k to $30k, but would also yield an increase in room. You could also try to expand upwards or downards, but this would have a much higher material/manpower cost ($25 to $60k, maybe).

2. See above.

3. They'd probably agree to a point; they would certainly agree to send a couple of their employees over every day to help manage/train the factories/prisoners if you asked (partially as payment for the goods), but any more than that and they'd want payment (probably $100 to $150 in weekly wages each). In essence, they are willing to use lend you the use of two or three of their workers/foremen to help train prisoners/foremen. This foreman would undoubtedly be an expert in factory layout. They don't provide building services, so you're SOL in that department (they wouldn't have any architects to lend you). The two-employee thing can be considered added into the contract.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:42:20 am by DontBanTheMan »

Nunzillor

« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:25 am »

Impatient bump (sorry).

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2016, 07:37:36 am »

Working on mine one.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:09 am »

Getting my turn up, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2016, 06:10:43 pm »

Man, I absolutely love seeing the differing political viewpoints of the ministries. It's amazing seeing one ministry attempting to employ a progressive radical and another one suggesting outlawing thought crime. It'll be interesting seeing how this plays out in the future, after the foundations of government have been set up and there's more wiggle room for laws and enforcement.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2016, 12:42:59 am »

Done my turn.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2016, 02:25:03 am »

Have yet to receive a post from Aigre Excalibure (Ministry of Finance). However, I'll begin working on the turn. I'll do the players with (probably) completed actions first, and then go onto players who have no or few actions (Tophat, Ghazkull) to give them extra time to finish (or if they want to add anything). For players with >5 actions, feel free to add whatever for the next day or two without notifying me. Other players, please edit in the date modified and what was added if you want to add anything else into your actions (otherwise, I'll undoubtedly miss it).

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2016, 03:50:45 pm »

Actions have been added in, though not yet proposals. I have a few questions though, if I may:
1. I have completely forgotten about gas (ovens). Will I have to worry about this?
2. Do we have IC knowledge of others' interministry communications? (thinking of a particular one from MiniTru -> MiniCri, here)
3. How does this reality differ from history, with no WWII? Technologically, for example, I notice we're still using Anti-tank rifles - is this just because of our backwardness or have hand-held rocket launchers not yet been developed? What about nuclear weapons, the jet engine, and other such important things? Politically, how is the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe doing? What about Japan and China, or Britain and Germany?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Nunzillor

« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »

I think I can answer 2.  According to the OP rules, it is assumed that all players are privy to all inter-ministry communication.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16