Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Author Topic: Gender quotas  (Read 36520 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Gender quotas
« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2016, 06:12:26 pm »

The whole point of a post-scarcity economy is that capitalism isn't the governing force any more. Those without jobs can be provided for because those with jobs and robots will be producing far more than is needed.
Taxes and a welfare state aren't impossibilities.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 24, 2016, 06:47:56 pm »

North Korea may have the ideal solution here. If all the intelligent people participated in farming or service jobs part time, society wouldn't have to have full time workers for these things. As everyone is intelligent, they will be able to perform their jobs better and more efficiently than an unintelligent person, and eventually invent ways to automate these tasks. And while they're on the job they'll be thinking about the universe and ideas that can help society instead of the next big curling game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2016, 06:52:21 pm »

North Korea may have the ideal solution here. If all the intelligent people participated in farming or service jobs part time, society wouldn't have to have full time workers for these things. As everyone is intelligent, they will be able to perform their jobs better and more efficiently than an unintelligent person, and eventually invent ways to automate these tasks. And while they're on the job they'll be thinking about the universe and ideas that can help society instead of the next big curling game.
Nah what you need is the middle path, when the Buddha was starving to death he realized he couldn't actually think about anything other than starving to death.

The Buddha = first advocate of middle class capitalism

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2016, 09:40:20 pm »

Budha was stupid, he never once argued for the mechanization and consolidation of agriculture.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 24, 2016, 10:44:31 pm »

By my reading, nullBolt didn't mean anything even remotely close to that.  In his original mention of "potential" as quoted by you in this post, he was speaking about very general things like intelligence and the ability to reach shelves.

How do you measure such "general" traits as "intelligence" and "ability to do [whatever]" in a person? By comparing their behaviour with generally accepted standards of behaving "intelligently" or being "competent" at whatever task. Sounds perfectly objective, right? Right?

No. Have you forgotten that we live in a capitalist reality? If you inherit a billion dollars from your poppa and invest them in Google stocks, you'll be richer than any "intelligent" person who has ever "earned" their way by relying solely on their own inherent "abilities." And if you have a billion dollars, people will think that you're "smart," "competent," and "able" even if you're utterly incompetent and rock-stupid. Case in point: it starts with a "T" and rhymes with "rump."

If you think that people have innate value besides their objective economic value, you are a bad capitalist, shame on you.  If you are not a capitalist, why are we even having this argument?

I fail to see how these questions are a suitable response.

A: "I liek mudkipz."

B: "Isn't that unsanitary?"

A: "...no?"

B: "Does your threat ever get sore?"

A: "Dude, what are you talking about?"

B: "You said you like mud kips. Never heard of a kip made of mud, but eating anything made of mud seems like a terrible idea."

A: "No, 'mudkips.' It's a pokemon.

B now has a choice!

B response 1: "Oh. Ok."

B response 2: "Well, how do you eat pokemon, then? They're not even real! Have you forgotten we live in the real world, not some video game? If you somehow had a bunch of pokemon and ate them, you'd be stuck with lightning and fire effects going off inside your stomach. Much worse off than people who very reasonable stick to eating regular food. Plus, eating your pokemon would make you a bad pokemon trainer, shame on you. And if you don't eat your pokemon, why are we even having this argument? "

You chose option 2.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 25, 2016, 04:10:31 am »

B sub 2)

depends on the pokemon. It may be possible to farm and consume plant type pokemon without killing them. Take for instance, mushroom based pokemon like cordyceps. Just keep feeding cordy, and cutting little bits off to stir fry.

EG, counter argument sub 2 begs the question when it makes bold, sweeping statements. ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #381 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:43 am »

dude mudkips ayyy lmao

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 25, 2016, 07:06:46 am »

Was the preachy parable really necessary to tell someone they're not responding to the point you're making?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:08:59 am by penguinofhonor »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:29 am »

No. Have you forgotten that we live in a capitalist reality? If you inherit a billion dollars from your poppa and invest them in Google stocks, you'll be richer than any "intelligent" person who has ever "earned" their way by relying solely on their own inherent "abilities." And if you have a billion dollars, people will think that you're "smart," "competent," and "able" even if you're utterly incompetent and rock-stupid. Case in point: it starts with a "T" and rhymes with "rump."

Oh yeah?

Quote from: A man much more successful then you!
"Proverbs, the chapter 'never bend to envy.' I've had that thing all of my life where people are bending to envy."

Not until robots can legally inherit property.

The robots wont need to phase us out then, they'll just own us.

#checkmateatheists
Robot owner can introduce sense, reason and logic into your life.Master robot punching you, when you are illogical or inefficient is something every person needs. Also no more worrying, or you get punched!
Also no bad habits, sleep problems,  as you are too busy mining minerals for your robot owner, so he can make more robots, so he does not have to spend his time punching you.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 25, 2016, 09:07:11 am »

I fail to see how these questions are a suitable response.

By my reading, nullBolt didn't mean anything even remotely close to [potential == the ability to make money]. In his original mention of "potential" as quoted by you in this post, he was speaking about very general things like intelligence and the ability to reach shelves.
My point is that your "very general things" == "the ability to make money."

Your argument is of the form: "This guy wasn't talking about A; he was obviously talking about A."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 25, 2016, 10:56:30 am »

The truthfulness of that statement is found to be incorrect, when one encounters unintelligent agents successfully accruing money.

Take for instance, a bank account, held above the minimum balance, for any period of time.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 25, 2016, 11:59:40 am »

The truthfulness of that statement is found to be incorrect, when one encounters unintelligent agents successfully accruing money.
Either you're taking a piss, or you're secretly a politician.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:32 pm »

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it werent for you meddling kids!

;)

No, I was referring to how Mainiac mentioned that his interpretation of "general things" included such things as "intelligence."  A bank account is not capable of thought, or independent action, but is still capable of accumulating money.

Thus, there is a false equivalency in SirQuiamus's calculus.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:05 pm »

Who?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 25, 2016, 12:51:43 pm »

Sorry, quote attribution fail.

Should be LordBucket, not Mainiac. Sorry bro.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29