Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: Gender quotas  (Read 36611 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Gender quotas
« Reply #315 on: January 23, 2016, 08:48:21 pm »

Shooting them sounds like a waste of bullets. We should just revoke any legal rights they still have and let the free market sort it out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:58 pm »

Really, we should shoot the short guy and let the tall guy stand on his body. No matter what, the short man will never give the same back to society as the tall person for an equal investment of resources. So since everything he does is effectively a waste, it is ideal to prevent him from consuming any resources ever again.

The real question here is: should we also shoot the average guy? I'm leaning yes.

Why can't the short guy find something in which he has an inherent strength instead of demanding special power in something he isn't good at?

Should short people be given springy shoes to play basketball?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 23, 2016, 08:50:37 pm »

Really, we should shoot the short guy and let the tall guy stand on his body. No matter what, the short man will never give the same back to society as the tall person for an equal investment of resources. So since everything he does is effectively a waste, it is ideal to prevent him from consuming any resources ever again.
Eh, 3/5

The real question here is: should we also shoot the average guy? I'm leaning yes.
5/5 top kek.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 23, 2016, 08:53:55 pm »

Eh, 3/5

5/5 top kek.

Seriously, though, the idea that the short people don't have a contributory value is not mine. It is that the short people cannot contribute based on tallness. Which they cannot.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 23, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »

Humanity isn't a race of machines, efficiency shouldn't be placed above anything else.

By the same tract of logic that is "starve people who can't or won't contribute to society", should prisoners who aren't stamping license plates or doing workshop things be culled?
Depressed or suicidal people work less than content people, and it takes resources to maintain suicide prevention systems, should we shut them down and have people who needed that help be removed?

Morally, there are very few people who would stand for the death or removal of people who can't or won't contribute, and pragmatically, the resources, support, and information required to pull this off would be impossible to obtain.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:07 pm »

Humanity isn't a race of machines, efficiency shouldn't be placed above anything else.

By the same tract of logic that is "starve people who can't or won't contribute to society", should prisoners who aren't stamping license plates or doing workshop things be culled?
Depressed or suicidal people work less than content people, and it takes resources to maintain suicide prevention systems, should we shut them down and have people who needed that help be removed?

Morally, there are very few people who would stand for the death or removal of people who can't or won't contribute, and pragmatically, the resources, support, and information required to pull this off would be impossible to obtain.

Of course it should. Why should it not?

I did not suggest they should starve (although I will note that the threat of starvation has kept people working for millenia), merely that directing them to something more suitable for their talents is better for them and for society as a whole. They will be fulfilled and society will be contributed to.

If those suicidal people will never contribute and they will never live happy lives, why should they not have the option to take their own lives? This is another discussion entirely, though.

The issue is that well meaning and emotions is getting in the way of people feeling fulfilled. It's giving people unrealistic expectations and entitlement that reality just cannot live up to. If you're short, you're short. Don't cry that the tall man is tall. Find something that doesn't require to wear stilts and do it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #321 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »

Short people got, no reason to live

Nor should it be disregarded, a nation dies within before it is conquered without

Yeah we should, but on principle we also shouldn't

Lol we should basically abolish medicine at this point, why even bother

Takes more resources to keep people alive than let them die though, the whole point is that we hold our lives to be sacred and so we go out of our way to expend as much energy and resources as possible to keep propagating it. We don't do it because it's easy, it isn't

y will be fulfilled and society will be contributed to.
If those suicidal people will never contribute and they will never live happy lives, why should they not have the option to take their own lives? This is another discussion entirely, though.
Who you are whilst mentally ill cannot be said to be truly who you are

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »

Yeah the picture isn't really a very good analogy for equality.

Let's say everyone is equally tall.
What if one guy took 2 boxes with him, the other 1 and the last guy none. What if we still redistributed the boxes but instead of a binary can/can't see the game they can barely look over the fence and its just a shitty way of watching the game.

Is it ok to punish the guys who brought the boxes because everyone should be equal? What if the last guy refuses to take any boxes with him because he knows the boxes other people bring are going to be redistributed anyway? Is this a system that encourages people to take boxes to see the game?

But then of course we have the scenario where someone IS actually shorter than the rest, is it ok to redistribute the boxes in that case so the small guy can see? (I mean in this case he is actually disadvantaged and its not of his own doing)

As usual the answer lies somewhere in the middle. There has to be a balance between personal responsibility and equality.

The issue I have with the whole line of argument is the begged question it presupposes.

are females less able than men at certain jobs (and vice versa), and does this mean that women should get prefferential treatment in certain areas, even when no real disparity may exist at the individual level?

eg, imagine now that the presupposition is: "Women are typically shorter than men."  If we use the boxes analogy, then we need to start handing out complimentary boxes to all women, regardless of thier hight.  So, when the tall woman gets her box, she can stand on it, and be well above everyone else.  Is that fair for her to reap an advantage, because her gender is statistically more likely to be short?

If we instead just say "you have to be under this height to get this many boxes", regardless of gender, we solve that problem.

But then we ignore gender completely, and focus on correcting for the disadvantage itself.

If fairness is our goal, why is this about gender in the first place?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:10 pm »

It would be great if we could help everyone, but anything spent on the weak could be spent elsewhere. It's effectively theft. Instead of caring for all the sick and disabled like we do, we could be helping the smartest and most successful people push humanity to heights it has never seen.

What makes you think the short guy has an inherent strength of some sort? Humanity isn't magically designed so that everyone has a special unique talent. Some people are better and some are worse, that's undeniable. So the worse ones should be shot. Or at least left to wither and die.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »

Takes more resources to keep people alive than let them die though, the whole point is that we hold our lives to be sacred and so we go out of our way to expend as much energy and resources as possible to keep propagating it. We don't do it because it's easy, it isn't
To me, It's less about holding life to be sacred and more of the fact that I don't know what's on the other side of the glass.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2016, 09:11:02 pm »

To me, It's less about holding life to be sacred and more of the fact that I don't know what's on the other side of the glass.
What is the glaass?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2016, 09:12:29 pm »

What is the glass?
Life and death, the glass is what's between both.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2016, 09:12:38 pm »

What makes you think the short guy has an inherent strength of some sort? Humanity isn't magically designed so that everyone has a special unique talent. Some people are better and some are worse, that's undeniable. So the worse ones should be shot. Or at least left to wither and die.

If he is incompetent at everything, then there are plenty of necessary careers that do not require him to have any particular skills or abilities. Direct this short, unintelligent, uncharismatic etc etc man to be a cleaner or a fast food worker or any sort of an unskilled labourer. Any of them are very needed jobs that don't require you to be amazing skilled.

And then there is skilled labouring which doesn't demand a particularly difficult standard of perfection. This man could do them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2016, 09:18:07 pm »

Life and death, the glass is what's between both.
I see, I consider holding the present sacred as very similar and also a value I hold

If he is incompetent at everything, then there are plenty of necessary careers that do not require him to have any particular skills or abilities. Direct this short, unintelligent, uncharismatic etc etc man to be a cleaner or a fast food worker or any sort of an unskilled labourer. Any of them are very needed jobs that don't require you to be amazing skilled.
And then there is skilled labouring which doesn't demand a particularly difficult standard of perfection. This man could do them.
Do not forget as well that a skill practiced can become a skill perfected, no man is born a champion of their trade; take an unskilled, unintelligent, uncharismatic man and give him only time and motivation, in time he'll long surpass his own expectations

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2016, 09:19:19 pm »

That seems kinda lazy. If a person can possibly produce more than they consume, we should take advantage of that, even if it's just stitching crappy shirts in a sweatshop somewhere.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29