Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29

Author Topic: Gender quotas  (Read 36635 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Gender quotas
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 11:05:57 pm »

The optimal thing would be actually be in some ways kind of the opposite: to obfuscate gender entirely from those making hiring, payment, and promotion decisions; but that would likely entail unworkably extreme measures.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »

I'm starting to pick up a distinct whiff of MRA in this thread. Let's not go there.
That really isn't an argument.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2016, 11:47:43 pm »

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:37 pm »

The optimal thing would be actually be in some ways kind of the opposite: to obfuscate gender entirely from those making hiring, payment, and promotion decisions; but that would likely entail unworkably extreme measures.
Actually, this is done to some point in the hiring of musicians for orchestras. It was discovered that when measures are taken to hide the gender of the performer (namely, a screen to hide their physical person and the removal of shoes to mask the sounds), women made it to the next step of the audition something like 1.5 times more often, which is pretty huge.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2016, 12:29:36 am »

Translation: "Let's go there."
I'm just pointing out that it's a meaningless statement, and no different from "I'm starting to pick up a distinct whiff of SJW in this thread. Let's not go there."
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2016, 12:51:53 am »

Antioch, do you believe that women and men are fundamentally different and always will be, and in what ways?
Dangly vs. not-dangly, muscle mass, brain structure, XX vs. XY, etc

I think you're going to have a harder time if you want to argue that men and women are fundamentally the same
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2016, 12:53:47 am »

Antioch, do you believe that women and men are fundamentally different and always will be, and in what ways?
Do you not believe in trans people somehow? Cause they're a fact of our world, and not believing in a real thing doesn't really make much sense.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:55 am »

I think you're going to have a harder time if you want to argue that men and women are fundamentally the same

This discussion was about hiring practices if I remember correctly.  In what way are dangly bits fundamental to hiring practices or work?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2016, 01:03:54 am »

This discussion was about hiring practices if I remember correctly.  In what way are dangly bits fundamental to hiring practices or work?
Not at all, I was talking about interests and such. More women apply to nursing and childhood education type fields, more men apply to engineering and suchlike. If hiring practises for the given fields are fair between sexes, then the ratio of sexes in those fields will reflect the interest in them.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2016, 01:08:50 am »

Not at all, I was talking about interests and such. More women apply to nursing and childhood education type fields, more men apply to engineering and suchlike.
But those things are entirely cultural.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2016, 01:11:51 am »

Not at all, I was talking about interests and such. More women apply to nursing and childhood education type fields, more men apply to engineering and suchlike.

That's a very difficult statement to prove or disprove. Personally, I think calling it "entirely cultural" is just as stupid as calling it "entirely biological".
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2016, 01:13:46 am »

And in addition, the sexism that is PARTICULARLY applied in STEM fields against women in regards to hiring also drives them away from majoring in those fields. I mean, think about it, if a woman has an interest in engineering, but she knows there's a good chance she will be discriminated against and end up jobless after 4 years of school, that might kinda deter her from pursuing an engineering career, right?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2016, 01:18:25 am »

Do you not believe in trans people somehow? Cause they're a fact of our world, and not believing in a real thing doesn't really make much sense.

Completely unrelated social phenomenon
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:22:00 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2016, 01:25:21 am »

Bohandas: Master of The Worst Possible Way To Make a Point. Who apparently realized it and edited out the statement.

HE MADE PROGRESS GUYS :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2016, 01:53:11 am »

And in addition, the sexism that is PARTICULARLY applied in STEM fields against women in regards to hiring
But... is it? I mean, there's going to be some, certainly, (in both directions too, I don't doubt) but is it actually a major thing, statistically speaking? I see no reason to assume sexist hiring is anywhere near as prolific as you assert.

I mean, think about it, if a woman has an interest in engineering, but she knows there's a good chance she will be discriminated against and end up jobless after 4 years of school, that might kinda deter her from pursuing an engineering career, right?
Sure, but that's assuming employers discriminate against women in the first place. Heck, during my time in university, we had it relentlessly drilled into us that the opposite is true.

That's a very difficult statement to prove or disprove. Personally, I think calling it "entirely cultural" is just as stupid as calling it "entirely biological".
What this guy said. What we do know is that men and women have statistically apparent differences in interests - whether this is mostly cultural or mostly biological is moot. Claiming that it's sexist is kinda excessive.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29