Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do Elves sleep on?  (Read 4092 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: What do Elves sleep on?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

I figured it was each other as well.  When will Toady add the elven nyphomaniacs?  :confused:
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 05:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:
<STRONG>I figured it was each other as well.  When will Toady add the elven nyphomaniacs?   :confused:</STRONG>

Hopefully just after (and not before) Toady adds Pyromaniac as a craft skill.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:
<STRONG>When will Toady add the elven nyphomaniacs?   ;)

More seriously, I restate that they probably just use wood that has "died" naturally, like the elves in Warcraft 3 :P

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

I always thought the elves just extracted the essence of the wood in warcraft3 -.-
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by short_dwarf:
<STRONG>I always thought the elves just extracted the essence of the wood in warcraft3 -.-</STRONG>

Are you sure?
Then why didn't the trees disappear?
I didn't play much of warcraft3, but I was under the impression that they gathered wood that died naturally.
Either way some fantasy setting has elves that pick up dead wood, I'm just not sure which :P

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 10:33:00 am »

It seems that every so often people need to see this story.
Forest Befouled
This line in the analysis is relevant to this discussion, "controlling plant growth up to the point where any desired object could be fashioned."
Often overlooked is that elves with this ability don't sound extraordinary by elven standards.

EDIT:  It should be noted that while this ability isn't implimented neither are other necessities of a functioning world, such as agriculture outside of caves.  I think this is one of those cases where we can assume all use of the ability takes place "off camera."

[ September 06, 2007: Message edited by: Cerej ]

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Toady has mentioned that the intent is that Elven druids can cast magic to shape wood into the forms they want without harming the plant.  Presumably their wooden items are still living and growing, or perhaps the tree they got the wood from simply wasn't harmed (via magic) in the extraction.</STRONG>

Ah, really good idea.

"It's unpossible!"

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Everything you can do elves can do better, elves are much better at everything than you.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

The cat-people from the game "Albion" come to mind. They don't build their houses so much as grow them, thanks to their mages, who can control plant growth in various ways.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>Everything you can do elves can do better, elves are much better at everything than you.</STRONG>

Funny, I've never seen the elves build anything like my Magma-Flood brand Elven extermination trade depot (patent pending) lately.

They also seem pretty lousy at attacking too - they just hide way out from the fortress throwing insults while we ignore then and continue chopping down tower caps to make ballista bolts to shoot at them.

As for the OP, I always figured they slept in the mud. seems nice and natural to me, and that's what elves are all about.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

It seems like there's been a lot of discussions about the elves lately, but there's not much in-game content to go on right now so it's mostly pure speculation. I've seen some interesting ideas of how they could be made more balanced but still unique, and I've come up with a couple of my own but it seems a bit pointless considering Toady's probably got an elaborate, ridiculously detailed culture already designed...I just wish we could get his take on the subject but obviously he's a little busy right now.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

Well as mentioned before, most of the stuff needed to flesh out the elves as a race is not completetly possible yet. Wood forming magic could go in now, but it would not be more complicated than "elf stands next to this tree for 5 minutes, out pops a table leg!"

Since Z levels are possible now it opens up treehouses. We can just focus on that for now.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »

They sleep on the grass. But its not normal grass. Its 'special' grass. Makes them smillee. And they sleep on eachother and have gross disgusting times together. Elves are disgusting creatures who do more than hug trees. - The Dwarf's Guide to Surviving the Ridiculous Wilderness ~ 'on Elvish Culture'

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

Hmm elf fortress woulden't work so good if they only use wood to build stuff.
Elf Leader: Ok men put and floodgate at the lava and as soon as it is in place we will gather at the end of the lava tunnel for the opening party.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

I don't think Elves would be interacting with the Lava much anyways, except possibly for jobs like Glassmaking where they wouldn't want to burn wood to make items. They aren't exactly the kind that are into demolishing mountains and diverting rivers, as far as I can tell.

(Although I think it would be more likely that they would go about crafts in a completely different manner than Dwarves do. Instead of Glassmaking they could have Ambershaping, for example.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3