Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1058580 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11895 on: June 09, 2024, 02:30:55 pm »

Welp, French far-right parties win 40% of votes for the European Parliament compared to 15% for Macron’s party, so Macron decides it’s time to call for a French general election.

Apparently they’re going to be held June 30th and July 7th, which seems awfully soon, but I guess if you want to shoot yourself in the foot, you want to get it over with quickly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: June 09, 2024, 04:24:38 pm »

This is ironic. My parents were discussing that exact topic when I opened my laptop, but were irritated with that choice in words.

'It's never "right of centre," it's always "far right," it's a derogatory term.'

Personally I'm not hugely invested in much of the right's policies, but I can't actually recall the last time someone on the right was described as anything other than 'far.'
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: June 09, 2024, 06:18:02 pm »

Depends on what they’re on about. Usually whenever I hear about a far-right politician, their main concern is usually border control, and all of society’s ills can be traced back to/will be made worse by lax immigration policy or can be improved/eliminated with better immigration policy.

RN has certainly chilled a bit on the bananas rhetoric, but they’re still much further right than Macron’s actual right-of-center party. They are also members of the far-right coalition in the European Parliament.

The other far-right party is called Reconquest, calling to mind throwing the Muslims out of Spain, and preaches the Great Replacement theory, so… pretty far-right.

Usually less far-right parties are a major party with a lot of history that pretty much everyone will know about, like the Tories, so it’s usually a given if someone is a member, they’re probably a it less extreme in their views. Usually.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: June 09, 2024, 08:57:35 pm »

That priming tho. Ah....

It's better to laugh, we're never getting our electionpromises anyway, just look at biden, promised nothing was going to fundamentally change and even rhat promise got broken, for the most part (except some miserable stragglers) nobody is talking about masks or vaccines anymore. Fucking liar promised conservation the status quo.
let

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: June 09, 2024, 09:37:59 pm »

Welp, French far-right parties win 40% of votes for the European Parliament compared to 15% for Macron’s party, so Macron decides it’s time to call for a French general election.

Apparently they’re going to be held June 30th and July 7th, which seems awfully soon, but I guess if you want to shoot yourself in the foot, you want to get it over with quickly.

When your party's support is collapsing you want earlier elections to get at least something because later it will be even less.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: June 10, 2024, 05:23:56 pm »

Just saw about Austria's result. The bit that got me was the right candidate saying that he was part of a coalition that thought Putin wasn't that bad.

Gee, wonder which side his bread's buttered.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11901 on: June 12, 2024, 05:23:46 am »

I used to count myself as a liberal, but the Overton window's shifted so far to the left, I think I'd be considered far right if I ever talked about what I believe in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window#

IMO there's a absolute stackload of social forcing going on.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11902 on: June 12, 2024, 05:52:58 am »

yeah yeah sure, god my palpebras are heavy
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: June 12, 2024, 07:41:08 am »

I used to count myself as a liberal, but the Overton window's shifted so far to the left, I think I'd be considered far right if I ever talked about what I believe in.

lmao

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11904 on: June 12, 2024, 08:05:42 am »

lmao

Nice rebuttal, I'm sure your local debating society loved your input. This is my opinion after watching half a century of "advance" on this planet... change my mind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: June 12, 2024, 09:32:14 am »

You didn't actually express an opinion to rebutt. 'Lmao' is a perfectly acceptable answer to inane complaints about social decay.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11906 on: June 12, 2024, 10:48:48 am »

You didn't actually express an opinion to rebutt. 'Lmao' is a perfectly acceptable answer to inane complaints about social decay.

odd, I thought that IMO meant "In My Opinion".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: June 12, 2024, 11:29:52 am »

You also didn’t cite any examples of why you think the Overton is shifting to the left.

Edit: or, indeed, why what you believe would be considered far-right.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 11:45:22 am by hector13 »

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11908 on: June 12, 2024, 12:26:49 pm »

You also didn’t cite any examples of why you think the Overton is shifting to the left.

Well, I assumed wouldn't need to cite examples when expressing an opinion on how I feel the political landscape is changing.

In terms of my honest opinions, I believe:
that capitalism has failed to provide a stable cultural and economical position from which to reach for the future, and alternatives should be explored and not suppressed
that modern "hate" laws oppress freedom of speech
that modern "security & immigration" laws suppress personal freedom
that immigration should only ever be accepted on a case-by-case basis, taking the immigrants political and religious views into account, and deny those entry who would seek to externally influence us. (yes, I'm a "getorrfmoiland" insular old man)
that some religious practices performed by other are abhorrent to me, but as long as it's done in their own country, under their own laws, they're free to do as they choose
that some cultures and ethics are anathema to others, will never reconcile, and need to be separated.

I admit, I know of no way to easily change this situation

so, I ask you, where do you put me? left, centre, right? wierdo?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: June 12, 2024, 02:37:56 pm »

Well, I assumed wouldn't need to cite examples when expressing an opinion on how I feel the political landscape is changing.

Well, if you do that all you get is yes or no responses, which isn't terribly interesting.

In terms of my honest opinions, I believe:
that capitalism has failed to provide a stable cultural and economical position from which to reach for the future, and alternatives should be explored and not suppressed

What alternatives do you think need to be explored or are being suppressed?

that modern "hate" laws oppress freedom of speech

What kind of speech is being oppressed by these laws?

that modern "security & immigration" laws suppress personal freedom

I’m not really sure what you mean here. Can you give an example of a law that suppresses any personal freedom?

that immigration should only ever be accepted on a case-by-case basis, taking the immigrants political and religious views into account, and deny those entry who would seek to externally influence us. (yes, I'm a "getorrfmoiland" insular old man)

I’m pretty sure this already happens. There have been examples of various speakers who have been banned from the UK for their views (Wikipedia list of such, I don’t know if it’s exhaustive or not).

that some religious practices performed by other are abhorrent to me, but as long as it's done in their own country, under their own laws, they're free to do as they choose

This is quite broad (there are lots of religions!) so could you give an example or two of what you find abhorrent?

that some cultures and ethics are anathema to others, will never reconcile, and need to be separated.

Eh, this one I would disagree with, we’re all humans after all, all it takes is a little effort and understanding on that point for people to see each other that way.

I’m not sure what you mean about ethics though.

I admit, I know of no way to easily change this situation

If you could do anything, what one thing do you think would improve society for you?

so, I ask you, where do you put me? left, centre, right? wierdo?

You sound pretty solidly Tory or Reform, depending on the specifics.

You lament that your personal freedoms are being impinged by government overreach, but you also want the government to heavily control foreign influences and behaviour.

Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795