Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006847 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10710 on: April 12, 2020, 12:10:37 pm »

It's never to early for puns
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: April 12, 2020, 12:39:13 pm »

Let’s not bet swords ruin the pun

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: April 28, 2020, 10:35:55 am »

Or as a news reporter on Swedish news said: "The anniversary for the end of the German occupation of Italy"
Love, scriver~

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: April 28, 2020, 04:32:20 pm »

Or as a news reporter on Swedish news said: "The anniversary for the end of the German occupation of Italy"

Well, technically a correct statement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Social_Republic

Germany seized control of the northern half of Italy, freed Mussolini and brought him to the German-occupied area to establish a satellite regime. The Italian Social Republic was proclaimed on 23 September 1943.
Around 25 April 1945–nineteen months after the RSI's founding–it all but collapsed. In Italy, this day is known as Liberation Day (festa della liberazione). On this day a general partisan uprising, alongside the efforts of Allied forces during their final offensive in Italy, managed to oust the Germans from Italy almost entirely. On 27 April, Italian partisans caught Mussolini, his mistress (Clara Petacci), several RSI ministers and several other Italian Fascists while they were attempting to flee. On 28 April, the partisans shot Mussolini and most of the other captives, including Petacci. The RSI Minister of Defense Rodolfo Graziani surrendered what was left of the Italian Social Republic on 1 May, one day after the German forces in Italy capitulated.

However which date the occupation itself ended would be up to interpretation. It's officially marked on Apr 25 in Italy.

But focusing on that part could say more about Sweden than anything else. Do the swedes have a stick-it-to-the-Germans attitude?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:35:01 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: April 28, 2020, 04:47:24 pm »

Swedes, yes (because they are the worst), but the super EU-friendly media, no, they worship Germans.

I just thought it funny what a complete reshaping of history the statement was -- might as well hail the taking of Berlin as the day Russia freed Germany from German occupation
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10718 on: April 28, 2020, 06:18:18 pm »

20th century Italian history is the art of reshaping whose side you're on. Trust no one, not even yourself

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: April 28, 2020, 06:23:05 pm »

Italy is hilarious to me since it's a super-artificial country but has almost none of the internal conflicts about that like Spain does, even Lega Nord is just a meme party and ironically even more artificial than Italy itself.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10720 on: April 29, 2020, 06:40:04 am »

Italy is hilarious to me since it's a super-artificial country but has almost none of the internal conflicts about that like Spain does, even Lega Nord is just a meme party and ironically even more artificial than Italy itself.
Besides Sicily and Sardinia most of the independence movements lack the meme geography to justify redrawing the maps

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: April 29, 2020, 07:14:28 am »

I also think that, as far as I'm aware, the individual Italianese cultures are also still closer to each other than they are to cultures outside of Spain.

Catalonians are culturally closer to Occitanians (non-frank southern Francelanders) than to Castilians. And the Basque are of course only close to themselves and the part of themselves that live in southwest France (the Gasque)
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: April 29, 2020, 11:28:13 am »

The Basque people and their language share a common ancestor with Hungarians (Magyar) and Fins (Suomi).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: April 29, 2020, 11:51:36 am »

I don't think vasconic and uralic languages are related. 
IIRC there was some news item about steppe DNA but you see something in the news
every few years regarding the origin of the Basque people so, eh, who knows.   I guess they had to come from somewhere at some point, so the steppe is as good a guess as any ...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:56:04 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: April 29, 2020, 12:21:40 pm »

I mean, Indo-Euro and Finno-Ugro languages share a common ancestor too. As to IE and Basque.

So it's not wrong.

I find the idea that Basque would be particularly close to the FU culture to be completely ludicrous, though. The proto-culture basically never left the northern areas of Eurasia. That one splinter of it would somehow end up in the Pyrineans without a massive migration through (the populated) Europe is a huge, huge stretch.

Basque is a pre-IE language, sure, and FU also migrate to Europe before the IE (they beat IE to Scandinavia by 3000-4000 years, iirc, I'm only using that as an example because it's what j know -- I don't know how long before that the FU hung out in the European north-east), so it's technically another pre-IE language group. But they're not related by any close means as far as I know.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 793