Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1067711 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10665 on: March 27, 2020, 09:32:49 am »

Italy sentenced him in absentia to jail for being involved with/leading a jihadist network, so they wanted him extradited there to serve his sentence.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: March 27, 2020, 09:40:10 am »

Erm is there not a thread for Great Britain? I was sure there was one. Did I really just have a dream that it existed?

Anyway, since I don't know where else to put this, Boris Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: March 27, 2020, 09:49:58 am »

And the reasons for not extraditing him amounts "he has Norwegian family"?

Sounds like he should have been extradited a long time ago. I don't think "family" is usually considered an extenuating circumstance when it comes to crimes.

Either way right wing reactionaries win. Maybe next time you shouldn't throw pity parties for scum and make following basic legal procedure a success for far right nationalists.

Or is the Italian case not trustworthy, maybe?

Erm is there not a thread for Great Britain? I was sure there was one. Did I really just have a dream that it existed?

Anyway, since I don't know where else to put this, Boris Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19.

There was a Brexit thread, but that was not a UK politics general thread. This is the Europolitics thread, not the EU thread, so this is the correct place to put that ;)
Love, scriver~

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: March 27, 2020, 10:16:29 am »

Comrade Coronavirus strikes again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: March 27, 2020, 10:56:35 am »

Sounds like he should have been extradited a long time ago. I don't think "family" is usually considered an extenuating circumstance when it comes to crimes.

Either way right wing reactionaries win. Maybe next time you shouldn't throw pity parties for scum and make following basic legal procedure a success for far right nationalists.

He had refugee status in Norway, having fled from Iraqi Kurdistan in 1991, and prior extradition requests from Iraq, which refused to guarantee they wouldn't torture or kill him if he was extradited back to them, and Norway is a signatory of international treaties that forbid extradition under such circumstances.

He was only convicted in absentia by Italy last year, and they had dropped their prior extradition request for him in 2016 within a week of making it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: March 27, 2020, 11:00:35 am »

Generally when someone is convicted "in absentia", it means they didn't really get a chance to defend themselves. Due to not having been present. The facts of Krekar's involvement in terrorist action is what they've been fighting about in Norwegian court for the past decades, because if it could be proven beyond reasonable doubt then he'd automatically lose his refugee status.

Kurdistan has also wanted him extradited to them, but they'll give him a death sentence and as mentioned it's against Norwegian regulations to release someone into an execution (unless it's covid, apparently).

Also, Italy wanted Norway to extradite him to Italy so that Italy could extradite him to Kurdistan for the death penalty, since Italy doesn't have the same regulations as Norway on that account. Sooo... Yeah. One degree of separation apparently wasn't enough to make it a clean cut exemption.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:16 am »

One comforting thought for him...With all the lockdowns and travel restrictions, he won't be extradited to Kurdistan to be executed until after he's died of corona in Italy
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: March 27, 2020, 11:06:40 am »

Also, Italy wanted Norway to extradite him to Italy so that Italy could extradite him to Kurdistan for the death penalty, since Italy doesn't have the same regulations as Norway on that account. Sooo... Yeah. One degree of separation apparently wasn't enough to make it a clean cut exemption.
Isnt it an EU wide regulation though?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: March 27, 2020, 11:30:49 am »

Isnt it an EU wide regulation though?

There are multiple treaties that cover the same general subject, Norway and Italy are signatories of the UN convention against torture as well as subject to EU human rights laws. I'm not familiar with Norwegian laws/regulations and treaties, so they may also be part of a regulation that Italy isn't that would forbid the extradition to Iraq.

They may also have different internal standards for the assurances of fair treatment the state requesting extradition needs to meet. Generally speaking if the recipient country can show they don't intend to violate the human rights of the person in question the extradition is allowed to proceed, with exceptions for countries with a history of abusing human rights regardless of assurances or conventions.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: March 27, 2020, 11:31:59 am »

He had refugee status in Norway, having fled from Iraqi Kurdistan in 1991, and prior extradition requests from Iraq, which refused to guarantee they wouldn't torture or kill him if he was extradited back to them, and Norway is a signatory of international treaties that forbid extradition under such circumstances.

He was only convicted in absentia by Italy last year, and they had dropped their prior extradition request for him in 2016 within a week of making it.

Refugee status isn't relevant, it doesn't excuse you from doing crime. Thanks for the information about the case, though. It changes the light a lot.

Generally when someone is convicted "in absentia", it means they didn't really get a chance to defend themselves. Due to not having been present. The facts of Krekar's involvement in terrorist action is what they've been fighting about in Norwegian court for the past decades, because if it could be proven beyond reasonable doubt then he'd automatically lose his refugee status.

I'm pretty sure Italy would gave him a chance and he chose not to.

Kurdistan has also wanted him extradited to them, but they'll give him a death sentence and as mentioned it's against Norwegian regulations to release someone into an execution (unless it's covid, apparently).

I agree that this is enough to make his extradition not standard procedure.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: March 27, 2020, 11:42:02 am »

I would generally say being a refugee from a state matters when considering an extradition request from that state, or from a country with extradition arrangements with that state. The whole point of granting someone refugee status is to protect them from being abused in their country of origin by private or state actors.

He was arrested a few times in Norway for various things from what I can find, mostly threats and incitement to violence, but I'm unclear on how much of his prison sentences were carried out.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: March 27, 2020, 11:57:53 am »

I would say what matters is if the thing he is wanted for is a thing the refuge state would find criminal (and of coursr whether the charge is trustworthy or not).
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: March 27, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »

I would say what matters is if the thing he is wanted for is a thing the refuge state would find criminal (and of coursr whether the charge is trustworthy or not).

You don't think the possibility of humans rights violations by the recipient country matters?

If I thought a refugee who'd committed say, a murder, in their home country couldn't be sent back without getting tortured and killed I'd offer to let their home country hold a trial in absentia, sentence them to a prison sentence and then carry it out for them by proxy rather than throw human rights under the bus for convenience.

If you send someone to be executed you're basically executing him yourself by proxy, which is against the principles of basically every European nation except Belarus.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: March 27, 2020, 05:14:42 pm »

You don't think the possibility of humans rights violations by the recipient country matters?

I said I did literally just two posts above that one. The quoted post was about whether or not refugee status is relevant when considering extradition.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: March 27, 2020, 05:29:55 pm »

I said I did literally just two posts above that one. The quoted post was about whether or not refugee status is relevant when considering extradition.

I can't imagine any circumstances where someone would have refugee status without coming from a home nation that poses a human rights risk. Giving someone refugee status is an implicit declaration that any criminal prosecution against them from their home can't be dealt with humanely.

Or a declaration that their home country is dangerous enough for them that being there is a human rights violation. But that means much the same.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 795