Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006718 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10515 on: December 21, 2019, 10:48:42 am »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: December 21, 2019, 02:18:50 pm »

Many states that implement voter ID laws have a list of acceptable forms of ID, which is often used to boss the possible voter pool. For example, some states allow a concealed carry permit to be valid ID. In addition, even if the voting ID is "free", you often can't get it online, and the available locations are often only open during work hours.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: December 23, 2019, 08:39:29 am »

Many states that implement voter ID laws have a list of acceptable forms of ID, which is often used to boss the possible voter pool. For example, some states allow a concealed carry permit to be valid ID. In addition, even if the voting ID is "free", you often can't get it online, and the available locations are often only open during work hours.

Yeah, 2 forms of ID here to get an ID card, only available during business hours, only available in English, sometimes documents get "lost" repeatedly if you've got the wrong skin color. I think it only takes a month or two to get to you otherwise.

I don't think they'll let you get away with voting using just that ID, though. And they post armed police around the voting areas to intimidate potential voters.

Edit: A more interesting thing I've seen tried is elections only count if won by a certain percentage of the vote. Too many thing can go wrong with close votes, including fraud by voters or election officials.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:00:04 am by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: December 26, 2019, 09:38:50 pm »

Well many countries run national ID schemes, which you have to use to vote, but which you get by default by virtue of having a citizenship. Like the passport, if you like. I.. honestly don't see it as a big deal, never understood why the idea is so unpopular in English-speaking countries...

Heck, why not use passports as ID, for that matter? Just asking

Passports are expensive. I'll cite some details about the American situation. relatively few Americans have them. There are several hundreds of dollars worth of fees to even get one. About half of Americans say they've never left the country, so only about half the nation even has a passport. It would be equivalent to a poll tax of several hundred dollars.
https://www.rushmypassport.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a-passport/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lealane/2019/05/02/percentage-of-americans-who-never-traveled-beyond-the-state-where-they-were-born-a-surprise/#750a91742898
^ greater than 50% of American don't have a passport. So it's a very bad idea to "just" use a passport, for America. I live in Australia, I don't have a passport either, and it would cost me about $300 to get one.

If you look at the American statistics the sheer number of people lacking any proper ID is quite large. The Republicans like it because the people without ID tend to be in the Democrat voting camp: poor people, seniors, minorities, and women - due to things like marriage and divorce, so they're less likely to have cards with their "correct" name on it, and you can just bet the Republicans will be sticklers for not accepting your word on name changes when a black woman turns up to vote but it's in her maiden name or married name and she's changed status in the meantime.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:45:18 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: December 26, 2019, 09:44:50 pm »

The voter ID laws are bad, but even as incompetent as they are the Dems can work around with showering people with ID forms and petitioning through courts to accept any scrap of paper with a name on it that was at one point touched by a government official as voter ID. Plus the laws are discarded as unconstitutional by any non-Republican judge outright.

The real fucked thing is just not setting up polling places at all in areas where black people or students live, and oversaturating boomervilles with voting booths in every church, retirement home, and country club.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: December 27, 2019, 08:48:56 am »

Hadn't heard that criticism. Wonder if there's a map out there.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: December 27, 2019, 10:05:42 am »

Hadn't heard that criticism. Wonder if there's a map out there.
Not quite a map, but I do have this article about an incident in Georgia: Article

In addition, many voting machines shipped to majority minority counties arrived without power cords, and despite long lines, they didn't even ship out all the machines. Granted, some of them are messed up, but it's still hella shady.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: December 27, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

Well, anything with voting machines is automatically fucked anyway. Bush and co. are heavily connected to a company that makes them and there was some statistic along the lines that Bush didn't lose a single county in 04 that used the machines from that company. Everyone knows electronic machines can modify the count, which is why you have occasional incidents of Republicans frantically scrambling to order paper ballots destroyed in cases where both kinds are kept.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: December 27, 2019, 10:49:34 am »

Well, keeping the debate more in Georgia, our old, broken voting machines were originally proposed to be replaced with a paper ballot (very nice, yes, some machines related, but more secure) and somehow, a voting machine company that our governor's son works for got a multi-million contract for a non-paper based machine. :Bigthonk:

So yeah, voting machines are unreliable and great for giving government money to your buddies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: January 03, 2020, 09:28:12 am »

Happy New Year folks, and cheers to all of you for keeping the thread friendly and polite!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: January 03, 2020, 02:43:34 pm »

Happy New Year folks, and cheers to all of you for keeping the thread friendly and polite!

And full of terrible jokes, as per the thread title.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10527 on: January 13, 2020, 05:22:26 pm »

EU are all wonderful

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: January 13, 2020, 05:43:57 pm »

I still in awe of how the  french keep their uninterrupted protest going since the eighteenth century.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:18 pm »

I still in awe of how the  french keep their uninterrupted protest going since the eighteenth century.
Taking shifts on who's outraged helps maintain steam.
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 793