Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1067354 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10395 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:35 am »

I was wondering why the tomb looks so well-maintained (I would support allowing it to deteriorate and be vandalized if demolition isn't an option), but the mainstream conservatives being francoboos explains it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: October 19, 2019, 10:46:03 am »

I was wondering why the tomb looks so well-maintained (I would support allowing it to deteriorate and be vandalized if demolition isn't an option), but the mainstream conservatives being francoboos explains it.
Or make it into a theme park

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: October 19, 2019, 12:28:50 pm »

Isn't the central government a right wing government atm, I forget? I can understand them trying to break with and reconcile with the past regardless of political leaning though.

In Brexit news, Parliament has rejected (I think) Johnson's deal and voted on an extension, meanwhile, he has until 11PM London time to send a letter requesting an extension while at the same time being defiant and saying he won't. So, expect more drama to come.

The Parliament didn't reject BoJo's bill. They passed an amendment to withhold approval of it until the relevant legislation is passed. This leads to BoJo looking for a ditch to die in, because he'd rather do that than request a brexit extension, which he is now legally obliged to do. BoJo and his party were in such a hurry to find a suitable ditch, that they left the room before the deal was voted on.

About a month ago, the Parliament passed the Benn act, which requires the government to request a brexit extension if a brexit deal (or leaving without a deal) isn't approved by Parliament tonight. Just approving a deal (or no deal) today would mean that BoJo wouldn't have to ask for an extension.

The problem with the Benn act is that before an act becomes a law, it has to be accepted three times in the Parliament: 1. the lower house aka the commons, 2. the upper house aka the lords, and 3. the lower house again. So, passing the deal tonight would have led to BoJo not having to request an extension, and then the deal could be voted down in the next step, which would most likely lead to Britain crashing out of the EU with no deal. As the hard line conservative brexiters backed BoJo's deal today, they were probably counting on torpedoing the deal the next time it came around, giving them what they want - a hard brexit.

Edit: I wonder how Theresa May is going to vote when BoJo's deal is actually brought before the Parliament. When she was the PM, she said that no British PM could accept a deal that included a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. BoJo's deal has just that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:41:22 pm by Ametsala »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: October 19, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »

I'm just waiting for the conclusion of this debacle wherein the cogs of state produce a Brexit so strangled with red tape that one must squint and turn one's head to the side to ensure that it is, indeed, Brexit.

Or is it Michaelangelo's David?  ???
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: October 20, 2019, 06:43:28 am »

Ever since the day it was announced people said that Britain would end up with all the drawbacks and none of the benefits of the EU, and it seems to be the winning prediction right now.

Let's see if BoJo gets his full brexit.
In a time before time, I had a name.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:01 am »

Anyways: news about Franco: we have a date and a plan: he'll be exhumed and removed from his casket on Thursday at 10:30 AM.  According to his embalmer he should be fairly well preserved, the major change will be that "his skin will be hard as leather now".

Later he'll be moved by helicopter to his former palace, El Pardo, in order to await removal to a military cemetery.

Rumors about the Spanish far-right planning to use absconded SS-Ahnenerbe technology to raise him as a lich are so far unconfirmed

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: October 21, 2019, 08:27:06 am »

They passed an amendment to withhold approval of it until the relevant legislation is passed.

I look forward to them passing that legislation sometime in 3020.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: October 28, 2019, 10:04:05 am »

Anything going on outside of the UK?

Anyways, *PUNT!* Brexit is now extended to January 31st. Meanwhile, British Parliament is discussing a December election. Won't starting an election trigger another extensuon? I thought there was an automatic extension if there was an election or something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: October 28, 2019, 06:24:33 pm »

As eternally and surely as the leaves changing color or the days getting shorter, so too does Brexit get extended once again.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: October 29, 2019, 12:56:24 am »

By the time Brexit actually happens, the EU will have dissolved due to Grexit, Frexit, Germexit, Spexit etc, and the UK will be the only remaining nation in the EU. And then finally, the UK will vote to leave themselves.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10406 on: October 29, 2019, 01:08:34 am »

When did Brexit even start? Like, 2016? At this rate they'll get out just in time for the Second Coming of Christ.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: October 29, 2019, 02:01:57 am »

When did Brexit even start? Like, 2016? At this rate they'll get out just in time for the Second Coming of Christ.

When Trump hears "Second Coming of Christ" his first thought is of himself winning re-election in 2020.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: October 29, 2019, 04:24:17 am »

Sometimes I think it would probably have been faster to divide the UK into pro-Brexit and anti-Brexit constituencies, make two separate countries out of them and then work out the legalities of the resulting patchwork border mess.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: October 29, 2019, 08:22:48 am »

It would have been easier to give a timeline for the people who suggested it give everyone a workable plan. When they didn't, Brexit should have fallen through, because the people in charge can't make it work. If you can't answer "how?", don't try to make your idea law.

Actually, requiring someone to explain how their idea works, and lets the people listening point out the issues would prevent a lot of bad laws, in a reasonable world.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 795