Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006716 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9945 on: April 16, 2019, 10:41:53 am »

Then why should we mourn at all? The "former" Notre Dame was never an independent entity to even be destroyed, it was merely a part of the transition to the Notre Dame of today.
Statements like this are why I lost hope for the future. For starters it is unknown how much damage has been incurred and to how many pieces or parts of the Church have been damaged or lost - the impression is that it has not been totally catastrophic, but I can immediately tell you now if I walked up to the 800 year old stained glass windows and kicked a boot through it I'd not have a leg to stand on in court by telling them I was just helping the windows transition into modernity like an ISIS interior designer.

She didn't pass into death, but rather added this moment to her history.
Brb, just going to go commit suicide and add that transition to my history

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: April 16, 2019, 10:56:37 am »

So, you're mourning the original pieces of the structure that may or may not have been the first pieces to serve those roles, but are the originals because they were damaged by this fire and will need to be replaced. Gotcha.

I can immediately tell you now if I walked up to the 800 year old stained glass windows and kicked a boot through it I'd not have a leg to stand on in court by telling them I was just helping the windows transition into modernity like an ISIS interior designer.
Of course you wouldn't; it'd be stuck in the window.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9947 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:15 am »

So, you're mourning the original pieces of the structure that may or may not have been the first pieces to serve those roles, but are the originals because they were damaged by this fire and will need to be replaced. Gotcha.
I don't mourn it, I mourn myself, because I am dead

At last you see!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: April 16, 2019, 11:10:10 am »

At last you see!
How Can Stained Glass Windows Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: April 16, 2019, 11:18:33 am »

Then why should we mourn at all? The "former" Notre Dame was never an independent entity to even be destroyed, it was merely a part of the transition to the Notre Dame of today.
Statements like this are why I lost hope for the future. For starters it is unknown how much damage has been incurred and to how many pieces or parts of the Church have been damaged or lost - the impression is that it has not been totally catastrophic, but I can immediately tell you now if I walked up to the 800 year old stained glass windows and kicked a boot through it I'd not have a leg to stand on in court by telling them I was just helping the windows transition into modernity like an ISIS interior designer.

Of course not, it's a philosophical argument, not a legal one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9950 on: April 16, 2019, 11:25:52 am »

How Can Stained Glass Windows Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real?
Kos, or some say Kosm Smith

Of course not, it's a philosophical argument, not a legal one.
Of course not, all legal arguments are ontological arguments.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:19 pm »

Ontological ontosmogical, when are we going to admit the harsh reality that somewhere in Paris there is a construction worker who has been possessed by the infernal spirit of Robespierre, called forth from the void by this sacrifice?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: April 16, 2019, 03:16:48 pm »

He is to do battle with the spirit of Ras-Putin, who has been long awaiting this very moment.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: April 16, 2019, 03:53:33 pm »

Ontological ontosmogical, when are we going to admit the harsh reality that somewhere in Paris there is a construction worker who has been possessed by the infernal spirit of Robespierre, called forth from the void by this sacrifice?

That all it takes for heroes?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: April 16, 2019, 09:33:37 pm »

So, apparently Macron wants to try and get it rebuilt in five years, but everything I've heard and read indicates that it's going to be a long delicate proccess that is going to take 10 years to complete because there is a lot of careful work that you have to do.

The roof is likely going to be prioritized for obvious reasons and I could see that getting set up quickly, but even if you poured a HUGE amount of resources into it, it still doesn't change the fact that it's not something that can be slapped together in the same way you can build a skyscraper in five years. I checked and the next French Presidential elections are three years away, so, there may not be political motivation in the sense of upcoming elections, but still.

Speaking of the earlier Ship of Theseus discussion, it's definetly manifesting in a real way here because one of the major questions going to be asked is whether or not to go with the 19th century restoration or the earlier one which that restoration replaced. I know it's not strictly the same as the philosophical concept, but the thought of 'what's original?' is in line with it.

Edit: Or design a completely new one for the modern era, why not. Im sure it’s going to be a much debated topic in France.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:40:07 pm by smjjames »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: April 21, 2019, 12:14:11 pm »

Meanwhile in Ukraine... Pro-Russian candidate has won presidential elections. Isn't it hilarious? EU should start preparing for a country exploding at its border.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: April 21, 2019, 03:24:02 pm »

Russian? All I’ve heard is that he speaks Russian natively, which in the Ukraine is probably the same as someone speaking Spanish here in the US. Minus the immigration association perhaps and the fact that Ukranian and Russian are more closely related than Spanish and English are.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: April 21, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »

Stop me if you've heard this one before: a TV star with no concrete political platform or experience, who has a history of expressing affection for the Russian side of things, is elected on a wave of dissatisfaction with the status-quo.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: April 21, 2019, 06:08:26 pm »

So, I take it the referendums to join the EU and NATO he offered are a lie?  My apologies, but this is not intended to be fatuitous; I haven't followed the Ukrainian election.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: April 21, 2019, 07:09:48 pm »

I barely even know much of anything about Ukraines election myself other than that a comedian/actor is more or less pulling a Trump, they once had a debate at a stadium which they took a drug test beforehand for (what even was up with that? Did it have something to do with the location being a stadium), and Poroshenko debated once at an empty podium. Let alone what was promised or whatever.

An article I read though suggested that he'd still be about as West-friendly as Poroshenko and things wouldn't actually change relations wise towards Russia.

I wonder if Trump would have any political tips for him, heh. Sounds like Trump had way more experience with politics to begin with than Zelenskiy is starting with.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:20:35 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 793