Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006819 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9855 on: March 29, 2019, 02:09:56 pm »

Ok, but after austerity I still don't see how the Brits aren't making guillotine memes, let alone the new layer of hell we've discovered here. Even the Corbynites won't do it. Does Liz really have that much mental real estate?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: March 29, 2019, 09:11:50 pm »

Ok, but after austerity I still don't see how the Brits aren't making guillotine memes, let alone the new layer of hell we've discovered here. Even the Corbynites won't do it. Does Liz really have that much mental real estate?

Well it ain’t her fault, is it?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: March 29, 2019, 09:17:02 pm »

T’be fair, she could’ve refused to endorse the government - or whatever it is she does to rubber stamp it - but that would very likely have ended up poorly.

Would’ve been brilliant though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: March 30, 2019, 04:37:13 am »

T’be fair, she could’ve refused to endorse the government - or whatever it is she does to rubber stamp it - but that would very likely have ended up poorly.

I think the king of Belgium or the Netherlands or one of those anyway recently did something like that.... a mini abdication for five minutes  during which the acting head of state was the PM so that he could have someone else sign a law that he disliked (I think it was something concerning abortion?) . I remember this be ause the king of Spain when askedmif he would do the same about gay marriage he declined (I think he was self-conscious that constitutional monarchies put up with the figure of the king largely insofar as that king doesnt become a pain in the ass... )

Anyways:  rumors are Theresa May is planning asking for an extension WITH a general election... probably with a long extension for brexit in the process. I'm not sure as to whether an election would fix anything given that all recent polls suggest an even more hung parliament.

My personal theory is that she will let the MPs do the second round of indicative voting and then try to frame a final vote between her deal and whichever is the least disliked option, with an either/or operator in the vote.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:50:32 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9859 on: March 30, 2019, 09:15:26 am »

In this case, the Queen could actually pull it off, especially since the actual authority of May's government is more symbolic than the Queen's atm. It would need the support of Boris AND Corbyn, but it could be done

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: March 30, 2019, 05:35:27 pm »

It would come at a huge cost to the monarchy, though. The Queen, in particular, would be hailed by the most fervent as an anti-democratic tyrant imposing her will on the Government, even with key Parliamentary allies. Only at the moment of greatest crisis would I condone the Queen's direct intervention, and we are not (quite) there yet.

The Clock is ticking, though, and I suspect the Fourth May Not Be With Us. We are teetering on the edge of having an anti-democratic government, whatever flowery language and justifications given.

As an aside, was in London last week. Got to shake my fist at Parliament buildings, which was cathartic but ultimately fruitless.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: March 30, 2019, 08:57:34 pm »

Aren't the most fervent going to call her a tyrant if she even says anything anyway?

She has more subtle methods and she knows how to employ them without riling up those who would object. So, it'd be one of those.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: April 01, 2019, 06:37:54 pm »

They still can't decide: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47781009 Theres gotta be a better way to resolve this...

Also, a week or two ago, I saw an article saying that a former Irish PM (well, a former politician, I forget who) said that they could ttry public commissions or something which are common in NI or something. That idea would have been good to suggest two years ago.....

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: April 01, 2019, 07:13:12 pm »

I have a question concerning shipping stuff to Ireland (for obvious reasons) for anyone familiar with sea routes: Is there any reason why freighters can't sail directly across the Gulf of Biscay to and From Ireland?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: April 01, 2019, 07:22:40 pm »

They can and do. If I had to take a guess, though, it's because the ports on the Bay of Biscay don't amount to a fraction of the traffic coming out of north European ports like Le Havre, Antwerp, Bremen, Hamburg, Rotterdam, and Felixstowe.  I've added an interesting map I found while poking around at this question; you can still see some traffic following the route you suggest, even if it's not as much because the source and destination ports aren't as large.

What really surprised me looking at this is that Bordeaux doesn't even seem to rank compared to most hubs, given how it's always been an excellent harbour through history.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:28:05 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: April 01, 2019, 07:28:21 pm »

Starting from where? Spain? Though looking at wikipedia, it's home to some of the nastiest storm conditions in the Atlantic.

edit: Ninja'd. Though if you want whatever is being delivered to arrive in a reasonable amount of time (for the item), you'd be better off doing it by air.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: April 01, 2019, 07:33:06 pm »

I'm mostly thinking groceries. I'm talking about supermarket levels of shipping, not me arranging shipping anything.

Mostly I'm concerned about my orange supplies, and to a lesser extent my salad supplies

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: April 01, 2019, 07:36:15 pm »

You'd probably be better off asking your supplier. Unless theres some sort of dockworker strike I haven't heard about, not sure why you'd be worried about the shipping.

If you're worried about Brexit, a no-deal Brexit will screw with everything, even with contingency plans in place. Though I think those contingency plans are mainly just to keep it from getting to apocalypse levels of crisis.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:38:28 pm by smjjames »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: April 01, 2019, 07:52:38 pm »

If this is about the potential impact of Brexit on Irish shipping, it's also worth noting that it seems less than 10% of Ireland's combined imports and exports come from overland routes, and if I figure it right, that's essentially bilateral trade with Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK that doesn't go any further.  Even leaving aside the particular case of Ireland being an island, direct bulk transport of goods is just so much more efficient by maritime routes where such options exist, and I'm not sure Ireland imports that much food from the UK directly.  It's likely more efficient, leaving aside maximum local capacities which I couldn't track down, to have food come in from most of the world to offload it in Cork or Dublin instead of moving through the Irish Sea to Belfast (which seem to be the three container ports on the island).  That said, Ireland is also mostly self-sufficient in food if you listen to their own Department of Agriculture, so imports would likely come from nations that don't have similar climates and by extension crops.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:56:03 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: April 01, 2019, 08:04:44 pm »

Maybe he's in NI and not ROI?

Also, while it won't affect Ireland directly, the ripple effects will, which could be what he's worried about. Not sure how the Bay of Biscay fits into his worries about his favorite oranges though, other than maybe the Basque region? *shrug*
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 793