Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1068772 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9825 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »

I’m not sure the monarch dying would do that much, seeing as they don’t do anything, but I’m a staunch Republican so I would say that.

Anyway, this just makes the idea of some Tory Brexiteers supporting May’s deal because she’s leaving more sickening. This is apparently a game to them, and the goal of the game is evidently how they can secure more power for themselves within their own party while they allow the country to hurtle off the cliff.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: March 27, 2019, 06:41:55 pm »

Every. Single. Indicator. Vote. Got. Voted. Down.. O.o How.... just how does this happen? I'm a mix of O.o and WTF here, lol.

Since they don't want any of them, that kind of leaves the only option to either pull the plug (revoke article 50) or commit economic seppuku (Brexit crash through). Or maybe let the Queen decide if they're so helpless? I mean, Queen Elizabeth has gotta be seriously facepalming here.
Except that revoking article 50 (184-293) and crashing out with no deal (160-400) were two of the votes that failed.

Picture if you will, four Brits in a sinking rowboat. Each spots land in a different cardinal direction and proceeds to row as hard as they can in their chosen direction. Thus, the boat goes nowhere and eventually they're all going to drown, even though they've voted out drowning as an option.

Honestly, the Crown dissolving Parliament and retaking the reins of power would be hilarious at this stage. Let the Iron Fist of Windsor rule Brittania!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: March 27, 2019, 06:51:39 pm »

The most that I can see Queen Elizabeth doing is giving Parliament a stern talking to, but from what I know of her, even doing that wouldn't be her style, at least not in a direct way.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: March 27, 2019, 09:34:45 pm »

*America burns in the background*

I mean, do they have protocols for this shit? Maybe do a ranked choice vote, at least tear 1 or 2 options out?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: March 27, 2019, 09:42:04 pm »

*America burns in the background*

I mean, do they have protocols for this shit? Maybe do a ranked choice vote, at least tear 1 or 2 options out?

Seems to have been the political equivalent of throwing food at a wall and seeing what sticks. No idea what their protocol for this kind of thing is, or how unusual the method of voting for several things at once like that is.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: March 27, 2019, 09:45:19 pm »

None of the things that were being voted on were legally binding regardless of whether or not they would’ve got a majority. it was basically parliament flexing its muscles because they have no confidence in Theresa May’s government even though they voted that they had confidence in Theresa May’s government.

They’re basically acknowledging no deal will be a shitshow, and they’re trying to look as though they’re doing something about it until the point they actually have to do something about. The last part is more of a hope than what will probably happen, because everybody’s playing stupid political games and not thinking about how fucking stupid they all look.

PPE: this was basically expected to happen. The last time indicative votes were used was in ‘03 for House of Lords reform. None of the proposed reforms got a majority, and no reform took place.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: March 27, 2019, 11:05:04 pm »

... not thinking about how fucking stupid they all look.
Which is mildly odd, considering from a distance that seems to be literally the only thing they're actually accomplishing at the moment. Is there really no self-awareness as to how much of a farce all this is among the UK parliament?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9833 on: March 28, 2019, 08:27:07 am »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47725529
God bless are based NIrish
The DUP are hammering the nails in the coffin. May will step down

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: March 28, 2019, 09:39:14 am »

They're doing to do a debate on things tomorrow and possibly a new vote. Though both sound somewhat iffy whether they're going to happen or not, particularily the vote.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: March 28, 2019, 10:25:41 am »

Unionists are quite fond of the old "No Surrender" mantra. I've been worried the DUP would stab us in the back by caving at some point, but much less worried about it than I would be about an equivalent English party.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: March 28, 2019, 10:29:35 am »

Speaking of the DUP, I saw some speculation that the DUP might split over a new vote due to, um, sheneinighans or something involving Therea May offering to resign or something with some of them backing out from what the party was going to do or something.

Just politics as usual I guess.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: March 28, 2019, 01:20:28 pm »

Soo.. If I'm understanding this tomorrow's brexit vote/debate thing correct, the parliament will debate, and I presume vote, on the withdrawal agreement but not the political declaration guiding the future relationship between UK and EU. So in effect the vote is going to be Theresa's deal without promise for future.

I need to go through this again, because this doesn't make much sense to me:

In order get the twice defeated deal through, the deal hasn't been altered at all.
Instead Theresa May has set a less vague date for her resignation (IIRC May had promised to quit before the next election anyway), and there's no longer a political declaration (i.e. fancy words) about being friends with the EU in the future.

I saw a headline about journalists in the EU getting popcorn ready for more of the brexit circus. I think they'll rather be getting something for a sprained brain, like alcohol, aspirin and amphetamines.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: March 28, 2019, 02:16:48 pm »

I'm assuming it's to get round Bercow's "no vote on substantially the same thing" ruling, even though it is exactly the same thing that was voted on and defeated a few weeks back, without another superfluous bit on it.

Opposition parties raging though, as they say they were promised a meaningful vote on both the withdrawal agreement and also the fancy shmancy "we shall remain friends" political stuff.

I think Theresa May should just double down on the obtuse political nonsense.

"You've already had your meaningful vote," she'll say, "I even allowed you two!" and they will be silenced because she is right.

"We want you out!" they will shout.

"Then pass my deal and I'll be gone." she will respond.

etc I'm too tired.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: March 28, 2019, 02:36:44 pm »

Bercow has also been saying that he won't let the meaningful vote go through a third time without 'significant changes'.

Three different attempts to explain things:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/28/brexit-latest-news-live-no-deal-on-12-april-most-likely-unless-mps-back-mays-deal-or-alternative-says-letwin-politics-live?page=with:block-5c9d0705e4b0b4d18bde1f81#block-5c9d0705e4b0b4d18bde1f81

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/28/why-are-mps-going-to-vote-on-just-the-brexit-withdrawal-agreement

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47739143

From what I can understand, the split is so that they can vote on the withdrawl agreement that extends the exit date to May 22nd (I think?) and if that vote fails, they're on an unstoppable path to no-deal Brexit crash through on April 12th, unless they revoke article 50. If it passes, the exit date gets extended to May 22nd. However, I'm not sure whether the May 22nd is supposed to be also no-deal or is going to be Theresa May's deal or if they still have to decide whether they want to have a no-deal exit or use May's plan for that date.

In order to extend it any further than May 22nd though, they'll have to decide whether to participate in the EU elections, which is counterintuitive to the point of Brexit.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 795