Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006690 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9450 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:59 pm »

She has to. She must present plan B in 3 days
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: January 15, 2019, 03:09:25 pm »

I have no idea what's going on, but I was expecting the no confidence motion to be debated, like, now. Ah well, I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm not sure what's going to happen. After this massive defeat you would expect the government to lose a no confidence vote, but the DUP say they have her back, which means there has to be Tory rebels voting against her to make that go ahead, while the Tory's own no confidence vote passed with her staying in power so...

wtf happens if she wins?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: January 15, 2019, 03:19:59 pm »

By how much did she pass her own parties confidence vote though? They might have their own reasons for voting for confidence within the party but not the government as a whole.

As for what happens if she manages to win a confidence vote, I’d guess the same gridlock and impasse as has been happening?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:27 pm »

Also, the SNP is basically calling for a second referendum.
Lol, classic SNP bants.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: January 15, 2019, 03:27:55 pm »

By how much did she pass her own parties confidence vote though?
Not a whole lot. IIRC it was less than a hundred votes of difference

They might have their own reasons for voting for confidence within the party but not the government as a whole.
That's... unlikely. The private conservative vote is private. If they publically voted with the opposition to bring down their own goverment it wouldn't go well for them. In Europe party lines are far less permeable than in the US, and in fact in many European nations there are penalties (either direct or indirect) for voting in discordance with your party
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: January 15, 2019, 03:42:19 pm »

Heh. I read a while ago that the problem with doing a second referendum is that the question isn't yes or no anymore, it's do you want soft/hard/no brexit, if yes brexit, do you want this, do you want that, it would end up looking like a decision tree or a flowchart, or maybe it should just be a written/typed form saying what do you want out of brexit.

Sure, they could go for a simple yes/no question, but it's still not going to solve the details.

By how much did she pass her own parties confidence vote though?
Not a whole lot. IIRC it was less than a hundred votes of difference

They might have their own reasons for voting for confidence within the party but not the government as a whole.
That's... unlikely. The private conservative vote is private. If they publically voted with the opposition to bring down their own goverment it wouldn't go well for them. In Europe party lines are far less permeable than in the US, and in fact in many European nations there are penalties (either direct or indirect) for voting in discordance with your party

How do you get things done then if it's so inflexible? Not that the US Congress is being such a shining example.

Anyhow, given that logic, the DUP most likely voted for Mays proposal and given that a good chunk of rebel Tories must have voted in discordance with the party, it probably won't help a huge lot. Nvm, I did the math (helped by BBCs breakdown of who voted for what, and even with the DUP, they'd still have a very slim margin, but that assumes ALL of the Tory rebels side with her and everybody else votes against.

Given that they've already decided to revolt, nothings really stopping them from voting against party line. If she loses more than a handfull, she loses the confidence vote.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:59:26 pm by smjjames »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: January 15, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »

118 of the 317 conservative MPs voted against the deal. Division of the 202 yes-votes: 196 Conservatives, 3 independents and 3 Labour.

May won the December's confidence vote 200 to 117. Possibly the same people voted against her again, and if so, I'm pretty confident there's no confidence tomorrow.
They don't have to vote against their own government, they can just abstain/not show up, right?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: January 15, 2019, 03:55:48 pm »

Yes, but there is a difference between an internal party disagreement and voting with the actual rival party. 
How do you get things done then if it's so inflexible?
More than two parties in most European nations. Things  are done by multiple parties making deals for common positions. Eg: see the DUP - Tory "confidence and supply" deal.

But crucially the deals are done by the party
Ies leaderships, not (normally) by rogue MPs.  Even then an alliance with the wrong people can have a steep price if your bases dont like it. Eg: German Socialdemocrats basically blew themselves up by supporting Merkel's (conservative) goverment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: January 15, 2019, 04:06:12 pm »

I was making a mild joke at you guys with that comment.

118 of the 317 conservative MPs voted against the deal. Division of the 202 yes-votes: 196 Conservatives, 3 independents and 3 Labour.

May won the December's confidence vote 200 to 117. Possibly the same people voted against her again, and if so, I'm pretty confident there's no confidence tomorrow.
They don't have to vote against their own government, they can just abstain/not show up, right?

The thing though is that if everybody else votes against Theresa May (even those 6 breakaways from ind and labor), she would win by a slim margin and couldn't afford to lose any votes from her side.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: January 15, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »

Well, for the record, I don't like that there are only two parties in the US, functionally, but I do think that in ,any ways the dynamics are healthier than Europe. It's noteworthy that in Spain, for instance, the ones proposing adopting the US system of open primaries are on the left of the political spectrum

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: January 15, 2019, 04:50:27 pm »

So what's next for Britain? And is it or is it not time to start investing in Ron Paul memes?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: January 15, 2019, 05:02:23 pm »

I am thr parliament  https://youtu.be/_XWomD6TazQ

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: January 15, 2019, 05:03:10 pm »

Wow, the UK apparently kinda sucks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: January 15, 2019, 05:08:21 pm »

Both DUP and European Research Group (conservative hard-Brexiters) have pledged their support for May tomorrow. So there can be confidence after all.

Apparently, now that the deal that was reached after a year and a half of negotiations was handily defeated, May is in a better position to negotiate a better Brexit. How it will be better (harder/softer/higher/lower/lefter/righter/upper/downer/fishier/meatier/veggier/bluer/redder/technicolor/grayscale/whistling/humming...) depends on who you ask.

@Misko27: The Brexit merry-go-round continues on its merry way. Brexit memes still a safe investment.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:10:56 pm by Ametsala »
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 793