Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006893 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8730 on: September 17, 2018, 07:33:54 am »

Would EU meme culture just... straight up cease to exist?
EU meme culture wouldn't budge, since it would be protected under parody clauses regardless of any other changes, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: September 17, 2018, 07:50:07 am »

EU meme culture wouldn't budge, since it would be protected under parody clauses regardless of any other changes, apparently.
Forgive me for any misunderstanding (not a lawyer or a programmer, so I get the double whammy of ignorance here) but isn't the issue not that anything would become illegal, but rather this puts in place requirements to look for illegal things that will inevitably  result in a lot of false positive. Parody and fair use don't get stricken down, but rather slowly strangled under the reality of article 13s requirement that "Information society service providers" have to put in place the ability to "prevent the availability on their services of works or other subject-matter identified by rightholders through the cooperation with the service providers. Those measures, such as the use of effective content recognition technologies, shall be appropriate and proportionate." IE: Youtubes copywrite filter, which has tons of false positives and abuse by copywrite trolls all the time. And for such a big service provider like reddit or youtube really doesn't care about the false positives, they just care about reducing their own potential legal troubles. Sure, memes or whatever are technically still legal, it's just too hard for an automated system to tell the difference between them and genuine copywrite infringement, so they are defacto banned by the systems put in place to stop infringement.

Then again, not a lawyer, so not sure if that's what the article actually requires (but afaik that's what people who are upset about it are reading from it, and it looks to me like it could mean that.) and not a programmer so I don't know the specifics of how "effective content recognition technologies" work, but given youtubes false positive rate and lack of care, it seems like it could be an issue.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8732 on: September 17, 2018, 08:04:31 am »

I dunno, in the UK our judge ruled that context and intent don't matter, so parody will not protect you if the EU follows suit

basically

oi bruv u gotta loicense for dem memes

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: September 17, 2018, 08:12:18 am »

If memes were banned in the UK, would the police have to learn how to ask for licenses in legible non cockney (or whatever) English?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:30 am »

And for such a big service provider like reddit or youtube really doesn't care about the false positives, they just care about reducing their own potential legal troubles.
They will, if it ends up cutting their traffic by half or some such.

One effect I can think of this might have, is sudden proliferation of 'this content is a parody' notifications everywhere. Maybe even encouraged by the service providers by providing tickboxes with a ready-made statement.
Kinda like what happened in Poland back when adverts of alcoholic beverages were briefly banned, which resulted in all beer companies ostensibly advertising alcohol-free beer with actors literally winking at the audience.
People tend to openly work around sufficiently unpopular legislature, is what I'm thinking.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:20 am »

What if said meme originated in the US (which would be difficult to prove, but still, for hypotheticals sake)? Parody is protected speech over here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: September 17, 2018, 08:31:10 am »

If memes were banned in the UK, would the police have to learn how to ask for licenses in legible non cockney (or whatever) English?

Soon Britain with have Meme Detector Vans driving up and down all residential streets. They're able to hear through walls and detect any meme at 200 paces.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:02 am »

Kilroy is not here any more
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: September 19, 2018, 03:08:18 pm »

They won’t be able to do this. The Internet is unimaginably huge, with no room in between it, and the world isn’t just google and youtube. If they want to enforce it, they will have to get every website on the internet that is based in Europe to install a filter, or face legal charges. I would appreciate the internet still being a free place, since after this, you probably won’t be allowed to upload anything on the topic of anything that can sue. It will destroy everything, and I’m conflicted as to whether I should be terrified and crying, or smug in that they can’t do this.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: September 19, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »

The way I see it, the Internet isn't a technology that we've invented like an airplane, where we can just keep making more of them so long as we know how. The internet is a singular mega project, like the Eiffel tower. It can be destroyed, and even if we rebuild it it won't be the same thing. It's easier to lose entirely than people realize, I think.

So, if the EU makes an internet law that cannot be enforced, but try to enforce it anyway, they could actually damage the internet, and then the "world-wide" web doesn't exist in Europe any more.
That's a worst case scenario, of course. But it's... possible?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: September 19, 2018, 03:53:29 pm »

As I tried to make the point of in several posts, it's likely to run afoul of laws in countries outside the EU. I doubt Google, Facebook, etc are going to only enforce it for the EU, it'll be easier to just try to enforce it on everybody, which is where problems start.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: September 19, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »

For the record Spain has been doing this for a few years and it doesnt really work. They did get google and some other big ones to remove google news access from the .es page (do google.whatever and you're still fine) but that's as far as it went.

Given that both are a poor decision by tech illiterate after lobbying by not much more savvy record companies I expect they'll pretty much mirror each other
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: September 19, 2018, 04:06:54 pm »

I want a straight answer, since all I can find is fearmongering, faffing about with previous legislation, and everything in between. What does article 13 actually mean for the internet, what will it do to sites like bay12, and how likely is it that any of this is going to work.
Admittely, chairmanpoo answered the last one, so... Nevermind it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: September 19, 2018, 08:52:43 pm »

I want a straight answer, since all I can find is fearmongering, faffing about with previous legislation, and everything in between. What does article 13 actually mean for the internet, what will it do to sites like bay12, and how likely is it that any of this is going to work.
Admittely, chairmanpoo answered the last one, so... Nevermind it.
Having read it, it'll do nothing. The only time such a thing would ever be enforced is if a specific copyright holder went up to the website owner and asked for content to be removed. Only if the owner of the site refused could they stir a fuss with the EU about following proper legislation. All this law does is specify that they are liable should they not do this. Hence, it's not the EU that takes the first step in causing problems, but the copyright holder.

In short, it's a storm in a teacup.

But dude my memes
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: September 20, 2018, 12:17:12 pm »

Just when you thought we reached peak meme.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45586070
Trump urged Spain to 'build a wall' across Sahara, says minister

Build a wall across the Sahara and make the Africa Pay for it?
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 793