Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006814 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7785 on: March 13, 2018, 04:46:25 pm »

I've heard the guy had heart problems, so, it may have nothing to do with the ex-spy. However, the timing of it and the fact that he was a critic of Putin does make it look extremely suspicious.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: March 13, 2018, 08:11:27 pm »

Russia did not respond to the UK's request for clarification.
The only reply they gave, was a text on the website of their embassy, saying "our British colleagues should save their fiery propaganda and slogans for their mentally retarded domestic public, maybe it has some merit there".

The UK has sent their embassador in the Hague to the OPCW, demanding Russia give full access to inspectors to check their chemical weapons programs.
The UK accuses Russia of witholding information from OPCW for years. The embassador stressed to the OPCW inspectors that "this is the first time since WW2 that chemical weapons were used on European soil."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:13:19 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: March 13, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »

Ouch, that's a heavy burn all right, and pretty close to qualifying for a diplomatic insult causus belli. Though that response would hardly be called diplomatic.

I wonder if that's actually an official official comment or a 'disgruntled staffer'? heh. Pulling a stunt like that with the language of the comment seems like something that would get an embassy staffer fired just about anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:19:08 pm by smjjames »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: March 13, 2018, 08:26:59 pm »

The only reply they gave, was a text on the website of their embassy, saying "our British colleagues should save their fiery propaganda and slogans for their mentally retarded domestic public, maybe it has some merit there".
Can I get a source on this? I'm not seeing anything of quite that magnitude.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »

Same here, looked around and didn't see any mention of it, which would definetly have elicted a response.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: March 13, 2018, 08:31:16 pm »

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/londen-klaagt-russen-aan-om-gifgas-en-voert-zo-de-druk-op-rusland-op~a4580674/

Probably in the Dutch news first, because UK plays it via the Hague

https://www.rusemb.org.uk/fnapr/6418:
"Our British colleagues should save their propaganda fervour and slogans for their unenlightened domestic audience, where perhaps they will have some effect".
Looks like my newspaper translated 'unenlightened' to 'achterlijk' which is dutch for 'mentally retarded'
Then again, 'unenlightened' isn't much better than 'retarded' anyways. Both are diplomatic faux pas.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:36:51 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: March 13, 2018, 08:34:44 pm »

Ah. Worded differently. Translation error, I guess. Thanks! It's definitely still a very sabre-rattling, inflammatory comment.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:59 pm »

They should have gone by the gamer mantra, 'Screenshots or it never happened.'

Ah. Worded differently. Translation error, I guess. Thanks! It's definitely still a very sabre-rattling, inflammatory comment.

The problem is that 'unenlightened' could be interpreted a load of different ways, but they're still calling British citizens dumb in a rather diplomatic way.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: March 13, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/londen-klaagt-russen-aan-om-gifgas-en-voert-zo-de-druk-op-rusland-op~a4580674/

Probably in the Dutch news first, because UK plays it via the Hague

https://www.rusemb.org.uk/fnapr/6418:
"Our British colleagues should save their propaganda fervour and slogans for their unenlightened domestic audience, where perhaps they will have some effect".
Looks like my newspaper translated 'unenlightened' to 'achterlijk' which is dutch for 'mentally retarded'
Then again, 'unenlightened' isn't much better than 'retarded' anyways. Both are diplomatic faux pas.

Agreed, calling a foriegn countries citizens unenlighted isn't nice, but as we've just seen, this is exactly the kind of word that will get mistranslated and misinterpreted.

Also, goggle translate outputted the dutch word as 'backward', which could be a PC'd version of that word, but otherwise, the output was coherent.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:45:38 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: March 13, 2018, 08:47:21 pm »

Nah, to call someone 'backward', you'd say 'je loopt achter' ('you are walking behind')
'achterlijk' is most definitly the word for 'mentally retarded' (literally: 'behindlike', with behind meaning being behind on mental development)

We don't really have a dutch word for unenlightened, we'd say 'niet (zo) heel verlicht' ('not (so) very enlightened')
We do have 'onverlicht' (literally unenlightened), but we use that for when someone does not have working light on their bicycle.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:51:09 pm by martinuzz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:44 pm »

I inputted je loopt achter into google translate and it outputted 'you're behind', would that be an accurate translation?

'Backward' in this case is using the english definition meaning undeveloped, primitive, less advanced.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: March 13, 2018, 08:56:06 pm »

Aren't those the same? Someone who is undeveloped, primitive and less advanced would be behind, no?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:08 pm »

It'd be the same meaning, yes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: March 13, 2018, 09:35:03 pm »

I like how they imply that Russia is some international bastion of enlightenment.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: March 13, 2018, 09:49:49 pm »

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of some tea-sipping Brit, but because I am enlightened by my own autocracy.
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 793