Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006855 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7515 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:16 pm »

Yes, I believe they found technical evidence or data pointing to that after they salvaged the boat.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: January 24, 2018, 04:28:22 pm »

The Madsen case has been interesting to follow in all its bizarre gruesomeness. At one point he seemed to change his story every week, which really tells us that he’s not a terribly smart man. I doubt the crime was premeditated - surely he’d have at least planned an explanation in advance if that was the case?

I’ll be very surprised if he’s not convicted. Bizarre case. Could be out of a Nordic Noir or something.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: January 24, 2018, 05:55:26 pm »

Should be called a Scandinavian Blanche, what with how much snowy landscape they're showing and all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: January 24, 2018, 05:57:35 pm »

He's also already been found not legally insane prior to (or as part of?) the case reaching the court, so that's already been cleared.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:01 pm »

The only risk now is that he buys every prison he is sent to and has all staff fired
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: January 24, 2018, 07:02:46 pm »

The only risk now is that he buys every prison he is sent to and has all staff fired

He is, luckily, not that wealthy. If he is convicted, he will have other concerns, mind. I do not know the Danish prison system in detail, but I do know that criminals of his type are never popular. He will likely be sent to a special facility, or put on isolation. If he is imprisoned amongst the general population, or even in a high security prison, it would not take long until someone stoved his head in with a sock-full of soap bars.

Should be called a Scandinavian Blanche, what with how much snowy landscape they're showing and all.

It depends on where they are shot and set, these dramas. Along the coasts and in the south, there is no guarantee for any lasting snowfall. But then again, it looks rather good on television; I imagine they do a lot of bulk filming for the few days of winter when there are snow available. Further inland and north, though, they can usually snow it up to their heart's content.

On the matter of nordic noir, the comparison drawn earlier, that of 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea meets The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, was not drawn loosely. That story describes people like him, creatures with his behaviour. That is what creeps under one's skin about this particular case. My word. Simply monstrous. One should not encourage, nor even appear to endorse, such behaviour in prison, I know, I know, but it would itch in me to order a fruit-basket afterwards for any possible Sir Soap-Sock out there.

He's also already been found not legally insane prior to (or as part of?) the case reaching the court, so that's already been cleared.

I find that fact particularly terrifying. Of course, as has been established, he is mentally sound but, thankfully, incredibly stupid. Still, the things we can do, and still be effectively mentally sound... Good Lord.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: January 24, 2018, 08:20:47 pm »

I don´t think he was stupid (he did build a functional submarine, after all). Maybe a good chunk of the stupid is attributable to it being a spur of the moment series of actions.. Consider this scenario. he thought he would charm the pants off the dead journalist, she rebuffed him, he went ballistic, killed her. Then he panicks, and goes through with the first, dumbest, plan he can think about.

There was a similar case in Spain some ten years ago. A resident physician (of psychiatry, of all things) killed a nurse, then latter tried to cover the crime up in a ludicrous fashion. He actually tried to constript someone else into helping him hide the body (or else "he would kill himself"). His friend persuaded him to confess the crime instead.

Anyhow, I think that there are more borderline psychos than one would think even among otherwise functional to that point people. And that human beings as a whole are far closer to violence than we assume. Add those two variables up and you get bizarre crimes like this one.

So, the idea is that he raped her (I'm guessing it was more than a hand on the knee, such as some celebrities have been villified for) in a sexual fantasy situation, then tore her body apart and dumped it in the sea? And it was probably premeditated?

Did he just assume money and renown would just make it all go away? Wth.
One of the defining traits of sociopathy (Though medically not a thing any more, it's good enough for casual conversation) is poor impulse control. Fun fact: Businessmen are, on average, further along the scale of sociopathy than the average bloke. Given they also performed a murder, I'd be unsurprised if it turned out they're further along than even the average businessman.

Kind of ninjaed
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: January 24, 2018, 09:00:05 pm »

I disagree. That it occured as a horrid spur of the moment is, indeed, the most logical chain of events. That is what one would assume, and no doubt the line on which inquiries were first based. However, the reason I am unsure that it was an escalating chain of events or a sudden impulse on Madsen's part is the fact that the prosecution intends to charge him on premeditated murder. That is, of course, quite a far-reaching charge, and they would likely not do so if they were not confident that they were equipped with the evidence to prove it.

The man is indeed a clever engineer, but intelligence is not always universal in an individual. It is very possible to do something incredibly stupid although one is very gifted, or to fail to see great flaws in a plan. It is all very strange, and if I were not quite convinced of the capabilities of the investigators, and the weight of the evidence secured (and, more to the point, the potential weight of the evidence as of yet unreleased to public scrutiny), then I would be rather baffled by the charges pressed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: January 24, 2018, 09:20:58 pm »

Also, to be honest, genius and madness have been linked in the past. You would need to be a little off kilter to make your own submarine in the first place.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:12 pm »

I figure if you're smart enough to make a submarine, you might also be egotistical enough to figure that you're smart enough to get away with murder without a plan.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: January 26, 2018, 03:08:39 am »

The main jewish organistation in Austria is boycotting the yearly Holocaust memorial service.
The memorial is traditionally visited by the ministers of state.

Austria now has an extreme-right government.

The Jewsish organistation states that they do not wish to memorize the Shoah with 'this kind of people'.
Direct reason for this was finding out that one of the lead candidates for the extreme right party FPÖ, Udo Landbauer, is the vice-chairman of student association Germania, and extreme right student movement.

One of their songs goes like this: "There walked in their middle, the Jew Ben Gurion. Give gas, dear Germanic people, and we'll make it to seven million"

Give gas is hard to translate. In German (and Dutch) it means 'put the pedal to the metal when referring to driving cars, and it means 'give gas' when referring to gas.

The Green president of Austria said he was shocked when learning about the song book used by Germania. He rebuked the denial by Lanbauer, who claimed he had no knowledge of that song, by stating that every single member of Germania knows that song.

The FPÖ, founded in 1955 by two Waffen SS veterans, has always had extreme right, and antisemitic members.
Antisemitic violence has been on the rise in Austria for the past few years.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: January 26, 2018, 03:27:25 am »

You know, with the Golden Dawn I can see they came from an extreme xenophobic reaction and callback to the Megali Idea, with Alternative for Germany I can see they came from Euroskeptics getting entry-ed to death by neo-nazis, with Jobbik I can see they came from antisemetic conspiracy theorists, and with the Swedish Democrats I can see they came from people who read too many Sweden YES memes.

But the Freedom Party? Who have arguably been more successful than all of the above? I got fucking nothing. Is it just the SS officers? Is that it? Is it just Literally Hitler, hiding in Austria for decades while everyone else focuses on watching Germany, waiting for the chance to rebrand?

I should have known something was up with Austria after all the kids locked in basements.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: January 26, 2018, 03:48:37 am »

The FPÖ, founded in 1955 by two Waffen SS veterans

Well, you'd be hard pressed to go more "literal nazi" than that.
The real question is how literal nazis managedmto get so much support.  :o
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:38 am »

The FPÖ, founded in 1955 by two Waffen SS veterans

Well, you'd be hard pressed to go more "literal nazi" than that.
The real question is how literal nazis managedmto get so much support.  :o

Because Austria never had the self reckoning (and at times, self flagellation) Germany had after WWII?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: January 29, 2018, 06:31:26 am »

Dutch largest banks ING, RABO and ABN AMRO have been DDos'd hard the past couple of days, much to the detriment of shop owners that had to send their customers away because they couldn't use their bank cards to pay.

Not the first time this happens, but one of the more severe attacks.
Probably Russian vengeance for the Cozy Bear hacks.

Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 793