Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006825 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6810 on: October 01, 2017, 10:37:06 am »

465 wounded
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: October 01, 2017, 01:28:16 pm »

In Marseilles, two young women (17 and 20) were killed by a man shouting Alahu Akhbar, while he sliced open one woman's abdomen, and slit another woman's throat. The man was shot and killed by the police shortly after. St. Charles station has been evacuated and the police asks people to avoid the area.

Meanwhile in Canada, a man ran over a traffic cop with a van, and proceeded to stab him repeatedly with a knife.
When Canadian police spotted the van used in the attack, it ran over 4 pedestrians in the following chase. Two hours later, the 30 year old driver was arrested. An IS flag was found in the van.
The traffic cop is in hospital, but out of life danger. The fate of the hit pedestrians is as of yet unknown.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: October 01, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »

Guy Verhofstadt's two cents:
I don’t want to interfere in the domestic issues of Spain but I absolutely condemn what happened today in Catalonia.

On one hand, the separatist parties went forward with a so-called referendum that was forbidden by the Constitutional Court, knowing all too well that only a minority would participate as 60 % of the Catalans are against separation.

And on the other hand - even when based on court decisions - the use of disproportionate violence to stop this.

In the European Union we try to find solutions through political dialogue and with respect for the constitutional order as enshrined in the Treaties, especially in art. 4.

It’s high time for de-escalation. Only a negotiated solution in which all political parties, including the opposition in the Catalan Parliament, are involved and with respect for the Constitutional and legal order of the country, is the way forward.
(Emphasis mine)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: October 01, 2017, 01:55:02 pm »

There was no situation where Spain would ever have let them do this. It would have been effectively committing suicide to do so. No state can ever let a part of it illegaly seceed. No other country would either as it would directly threaten there stability.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: October 01, 2017, 01:58:48 pm »

Catalonians wounded increased to 761. At some places Catalonian police is now trying to protect protestors from the national police.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: October 01, 2017, 02:06:12 pm »

Recent polls had that 41% of Catalonians supported independence. I'm kind of wondering whether the brutality could increase that over 50%. They could be digging their own grave. If independence was so unpopular as the Spanish prime minister was suggesting then it might have been safer to let the thing fizzle by itself.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: October 01, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »

Western style of democracy:
Plebs vote like you want them to - The people have spoken.
Plebs vote like you don't want them to - The people are mistaken, let them try again
Plebs disagree - Send in the tanks, kill the turrists
Plebs agree - Clearly, the people support our wise and just policy

i r8 dis b8 9/11, gr8 f8 no h8
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: October 01, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »

Recent polls had that 41% of Catalonians supported independence. I'm kind of wondering whether the brutality could increase that over 50%. They could be digging their own grave. If independence was so unpopular as the Spanish prime minister was suggesting then it might have been safer to let the thing fizzle by itself.
I have no doubts that support for independence has gone up, given the brutality shown by the castillian government.

At some places Catalonian police is now trying to protect protestors from the national police.
And considering this is happening, it's pretty obvious the situation will continue to escalate.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: October 01, 2017, 02:14:07 pm »

It actually was so. Catalonian nationalist parties had less total votes than non-nationalist ones. But see, if he did that he wouldn´t look as tough to his right wing voter base. Therefore he escalated the situation instead.

I don’t want to interfere in the domestic issues of Spain but I absolutely condemn what happened today in Catalonia.

On one hand, the separatist parties went forward with a so-called referendum that was forbidden by the Constitutional Court, knowing all too well that only a minority would participate as 60 % of the Catalans are against separation.

And on the other hand - even when based on court decisions - the use of disproportionate violence to stop this.

In the European Union we try to find solutions through political dialogue and with respect for the constitutional order as enshrined in the Treaties, especially in art. 4.

It’s high time for de-escalation. Only a negotiated solution in which all political parties, including the opposition in the Catalan Parliament, are involved and with respect for the Constitutional and legal order of the country, is the way forward
...likewise, 80% of the problem is that the PP goverment didn´t want to reach any sort of negotiated solution anytime soon (and for the record, 30 years afterwards the central goverment STILL hasn't fulfilled the deal struck with the Basque goverment. No wonder the Catalonians are skeptical about their own situation).  The Govern felt this was the only way to make the central goverment sit down to negotiate, and they have a strong point, to be honest.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: October 01, 2017, 02:18:12 pm »

Catalonian government has said the Spanish government will have to hold itself accountable in international court. I wonder if they're planning to sue them for crimes against civilian population at the ICC in The Hague.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: October 01, 2017, 02:22:48 pm »

Hmm yeah, also the constitutional clause that disallows any sort of referendum on independence is probably not legitimate in terms of international legal principles.

e.g. if you can't even ask to secede legally then your only resort is physical force. Denying any sort of negotiated legal avenue is in fact a dangerous game the Spanish government is playing: asking for independence is not "cheating" on the part of Catalonia. Democratic governments do not "own" people.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:27:11 pm by Reelya »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: October 01, 2017, 02:29:48 pm »

Hmm yeah, also the constitutional clause that disallows any sort of referendum is probably not legitimate in terms of international law. e.g. if you can't even ask to secede legally then your only resort is force. Hence, the way Catalonia is doing it is in fact the most legitimate tactic.
They can ask. They just need to amend the constitution, which is legally possible in their free and democratic country. Whether they have the political support for it is another matter, but the international law says nothing about that.

But regarding secession, customary international law is actually quite clear on this matter. The right to self-determination of people in non-colonial territory does not allow unilateral secession, save for remedial secession a la Kosovo--and Catalonia is not in a similar position for that to apply.

The other alternative is to settle it through war.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: October 01, 2017, 02:32:19 pm »

What is happening in Catalonia shows very well the real nature of the state.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: October 01, 2017, 02:34:27 pm »

What is happening in Catalonia shows very well the real nature of the state.

Shows very little about the State, other than the national government is responding heavily handed to a illegal secession referendum that lacked local, much less national, public support.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:07 pm »

Seeing as letting them do it is quite literally the state equivilent of suicide it's totally unsurprising.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 793