Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006889 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6165 on: June 13, 2017, 06:24:26 pm »

I'd be okay with that too, actually. Although I'd rather have the EU recognize one of the factions and have that faction 'invite' the EU to come in and fix things. Makes things a little more legally legitimate.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: June 13, 2017, 06:25:05 pm »

Sure, but that's why you put people on the ground to find out who they are. They obviously need to be known by people in order to be useful, so you find out who they are, and then either use special forces to extract or eliminate them, or watch them until they are isolated from anyone else and drop a missile on their heads. Rinse and repeat until people are too scared to be smugglers.

Or maybe just arrest the smugglers? Dropping a missile on them would be too messy. Also, you just said that you'd have to occupy Libya.

At that point why don't you invade the country and install a stable government? Because it's starting to sound easier.

Maybe we should have done that in the first place. Oh wait! We already did with Iraq and look how that turned out! :P

I'd be okay with that too, actually. Although I'd rather have the EU recognize one of the factions and have that faction 'invite' the EU to come in and fix things. Makes things a little more legally legitimate.

One of the factions is already internationally recognized. Only problem is, those guys only control half the coastline.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:27:26 pm by smjjames »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: June 13, 2017, 06:29:33 pm »

One of the factions is already internationally recognized. Only problem is, those guys only control half the coastline.
Right, which is why they should ask the EU to come in and help them control the whole country (under the condition that migrants do not under any circumstances leave from Libya to Europe). And if they are hesitant to ask on their own, then EU should bribe their leaders into doing what they're told.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:57 pm »

Right, which is why they should ask the EU to come in and help them control the whole country (under the condition that migrants do not under any circumstances leave from Libya to Europe). And if they are hesitant to ask on their own, then EU should bribe their leaders into doing what they're told.

Bribe? You're so imperialist. (JOKING!)

Seriously though, there would have to be political will to actually do that in the first place, and it'd probably be either NATO or the UN rather than the EU, which doesn't actually have a common army called the 'EU army'.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:15 pm »

Cute. Who's going to provide boots on the ground?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: June 13, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »

France would probably take the lead on it, since they have the largest ground forces in the EU. Germany would hopefully play a large part as well, as Germany has a lot to gain in keeping the illegals out.

Bribe? You're so imperialist. (JOKING!)

Imperialism is underrated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:39 pm »

France would probably take the lead on it, since they have the largest ground forces in the EU. Germany would hopefully play a large part as well, as Germany has a lot to gain in keeping the illegals out.

It might be a better idea for an international force to do it, rather than have it be solely from a single country.

Trying to somehow get the various factions to coalesce together into a single government would be a much better idea, but that's a very long term thing, and I'm not sure if anybody is actually actively working on that.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: June 13, 2017, 06:42:29 pm »

Actually, yeah, I meant to add but forgot when I edited in the Imperialism thingy: I think it could be a wonderful proof of concept for a united EU military force.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:44 pm »

Another thing I wish Europe would do, in addition to other measures, is to target the smugglers. Arrest or assassinate them. If Europe makes being a people smuggler extremely hazardous to one's health, it will reduce the number of smugglers, thereby driving up prices and reducing flow out of Libya.

Arrest or assassinate them.

assassinate

Extrajudicial killings for the win. Works for Duterte, amirite?

Alternatively, any war on drugs. Pushing up prices is going to make it more appealing to criminals, not less.

I don't think it's sensible for a government - any government - to a) say they're too weak to be able to stand on their own and b) ask a foreign government to intercede on their behalf in an internal conflict.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: June 14, 2017, 12:26:37 am »

Actually, yeah, I meant to add but forgot when I edited in the Imperialism thingy: I think it could be a wonderful proof of concept for a united EU military force.

United EU military force, yeah thats what Junckner & CO want. More power to the large countries and Brussels' technocrats. Say no to eurofederalism. Ps. thats what this recent crisis in Finland was at least partially about too.

I dont think common armed forces or military units will materialize in larger scale than these small 1-2 battalion strong rapid response forces, as long as NATO exists. There are many EU countries that are not in NATO(some with long history of neutrality) and some European NATO countries that are not in EU, such as Norway.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: June 14, 2017, 06:28:20 am »

Finland elevates terrorist threat level today, after security intelligence service's latest threat assessment is published. In English: http://www.supo.fi/counterterrorism/terrorism_threat_assessment

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: June 14, 2017, 06:43:56 am »

Huge fire today as a 24 story hotel/apartment goes up in flames.

Oddly enough they did get a lot of complaints about issues that COULD have started the fire... at the same time they were also renovated AND met all the criteria so they shouldn't have had a fire due to any of those issues.

So either something fishy went on behind the scenes or this was just an unfortunate accident...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: June 14, 2017, 06:55:08 am »

They weren't renovated, they were only pimped, clad in nice looking plastic for 8 million pounds.
There's strong suspicion that the 8 million pound plastic is the main culprit for the fire spreading so fast.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: June 14, 2017, 07:07:57 am »

United EU military force, yeah thats what Junckner & CO want. More power to the large countries and Brussels' technocrats. Say no to eurofederalism. Ps. thats what this recent crisis in Finland was at least partially about too.

I dont think common armed forces or military units will materialize in larger scale than these small 1-2 battalion strong rapid response forces, as long as NATO exists. There are many EU countries that are not in NATO(some with long history of neutrality) and some European NATO countries that are not in EU, such as Norway.

It's funny, because I'm actually strongly in favour of an EU army, but I share your assesment of the likelihood of a common armed force.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: June 14, 2017, 07:38:15 am »

It's funny, because I'm actually strongly in favour of an EU army, but I share your assesment of the likelihood of a common armed force.

You might want to try the POV of someone who lives in a small country at the edge of the union, with a tiny voice in EU, little common with people and nations at the other side and who would be personally a part of that common armed force.

I've sworn an oath to defend in peace and war this fine nation, her people, laws, security and order. Not to Brussels or, say, Portugal or Greece.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 793