Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1059193 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5715 on: May 05, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »

It's a bit too late for that to work, though. There's a media blackout on any political discussion in the day before the election day and during the election day itself, too.

BTW, the post-debate polls trend has been put on a graph. It's fucking amazing, she completely blew it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To note: Macron was supposed to be the one weak in debating, since he was not in politics until he announced his candidature for Presidency. And yet, here we are - Le Pen, utterly crushed in a debate.

Macron truly is the Savior of France and Europe. He will rally the forces of Western civilization against the outside threat and bring forth the new, better age. It's so amazing to see this long-awaited comeback against the growing tide of darkness actually starting to happen. I'm so, so happy.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: May 05, 2017, 10:23:56 pm »

He was the Treasurer (or economy minister or something) of the current president for a while, so, he's not ENTIRELY new to politics, but yeah, he's never held elected office before.

538 got to the point by saying that Le Pen is a massively unprecedented polling error behind Macron. The closest Le Pen ever got is more than twice the biggest lead that Clinton ever had over Trump.

And yeah, I read in the article that they were entering the campaign shutdown period.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: May 06, 2017, 02:55:48 am »

The French should get rid of that media silence during final election days thing. It's outdated by the internet. They can't stop social media.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: May 06, 2017, 03:49:58 am »

What would it bring?

Also, keep in mind that even if a leak doesn't change the presidential election, it could help make sure Macron can't get a legislative majority (The elections are in June).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: May 06, 2017, 04:20:35 am »

Well in the current age the media silence means that any fake news media can pump out as many horrible accusations as they like, and the politicians will not be able do defend themselves against those, because they're forbidden to speak in public until after the elections.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: May 06, 2017, 05:56:09 am »

It'd also mean that they have no chance to spread to the masses. Most people do not read Internet, you know? Besides, it's just one day.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5721 on: May 06, 2017, 08:24:06 am »

Nah, most French castles are inhabited by rich Dutch, German and Japanese people. There was this real castle rush some 20 years ago, when you could literally buy a castle in France for around 20 thousand euros. The French themselves had no interest, because they knew damn well most castles are in terrible shape and would require at least 10x the purchasing price in repairs. Still, a lot of foreigners, including my own countrymen were all like "hmm what to buy, new car, or a castle in France," and went with the castle. Nowadays castles aren't that cheap anymore, all the cheap ones have long since been sold.

EDIT: that's one thing that always makes me feel sorry for US folks. You don't have nice medieval castles. Closests you get is colonial age forts and residences, but those aren't the real thing.
I wonder how you'd pitch the planning application forms to your local council if you intended to build a modern supercastle to live in
Who wouldn't want to live in a Helm's deep

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:48 am »

We don't actually know yet if it really was the Russians, but it seems like the Russians would be more competent than that.

Of course, it's possible that they had thought one of the two main parties would win and had only effectively changed over to Macron at the last minute.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: May 06, 2017, 09:45:55 am »

We don't actually know yet if it really was the Russians, but it seems like the Russians would be more competent than that.

Of course, it's possible that they had thought one of the two main parties would win and had only effectively changed over to Macron at the last minute.
I dunno, sounds similar to the (oft compared) DNC email leak. Steal all the emails, dump them all, and wait for other people to pick through them for anything incriminating/able to be taken out of context, then spread that using the Russian propaganda machine.

Either way, it's come too late to affect the final part of the election since the media and campaigning lockdown came hours after it had happened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: May 06, 2017, 01:12:20 pm »

AFAIK, it was emails from the campaign. It's not as if the emails are from some private server that he was running while treasury minister.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5725 on: May 06, 2017, 06:41:49 pm »

Either way, it's come too late to affect the final part of the election since the media and campaigning lockdown came hours after it had happened.
The power of shitposts and word of mouth is incalculable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: May 07, 2017, 10:12:22 am »

Exit polls have Macron between 62 and 64%, very slightly overperforming his polls. Participation is way down though (65% at 17h, compared to 70% at that time in 2012 and 75% in 2017).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:08:36 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: May 07, 2017, 10:51:57 am »

Exit polls have Macron between 62 and 64%, very slightly overperforming his polls. Participation is way down though (65% at 17h, compared to 0% at that time in 2012 and 75% in 2017).
Uh, I think you messed up there.

I'll wait until the counting starts, though, so that I could properly annihilate this "meme magic" poison.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: May 07, 2017, 11:08:48 am »

Fixed that.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: May 07, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »

As by current counting, Macron leads smashes the shit out of Le Pen with a staggering 65.5 percent of the votes, actually outperforming his polling!

The percentage is likely to shift, buuuuut it's basically all ogre for Le Pen. Sorry, lads, no meme magic for you this day!
._.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 795