Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1059273 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5670 on: May 01, 2017, 06:32:15 am »

And I'm concerned that a break orchestrated by the likes of Farage or Le Pen will only lead to adch-conservatism, and a delliberate undermining of the welfare state.

I am far less concerned about conservatives undermining the welfare state than I am of neoliberals doing it.

neocon

I don't think there is such a thing as neocon which refers to actual conservatives, just what the americans call neoliberals.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5671 on: May 01, 2017, 07:34:27 am »

wait wat
Le Pen pro EU
Macron anti EU
Did we just get alternate timeline'd

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: May 01, 2017, 07:37:42 am »

The main theory I've seen there is that the Cons are deliberately defunding it so that they can go "Look, it's performing poorly. It'll perform better if privatised".
Heh heh heh. This happens everywhere.

They're not wrong, either, so I'd take to the streets if I were you.

Spoiler: The next step is to grant hospital management to "private managing companies". Wait and see how that turns out.  ;)

(BTW: what the hell is a HYS)

Anyway, I can tell you that NHS coverage is surprisingly miserly in several regards. In particular, in the last week I learned (or rather, confirmed) that the avaiability of certain advanced haem/onc treatments is severely (and surprisingly) restricted.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:41:43 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: May 01, 2017, 12:25:15 pm »

neocon

I don't think there is such a thing as neocon which refers to actual conservatives, just what the americans call neoliberals.
Neocons aren't neoliberals. Neoconservativism is....was the primary ideology of the Republicans, an amalgamate of religious fervor, interventionism, and laissez-faire economics as one system of belief instead of a multifaceted grouping of those as factions.

This is distinct from neoliberalism, who's greatest similarity is a desire for laissez-faire policies to benefit transnational corporations but is otherwise opposed to neocon policies.

I don't think you quite have neocons in Europe though, or at least not this century. It seems to be the kind of ideology that only exists when you have people who want to hegemonize the entire world under their nation. Russia has some people like this, and to a lesser degree so does China and India.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: May 01, 2017, 12:31:50 pm »

The terminology is used differently in the US and EU. Let's put it this way. Would you agree that for someone from the US, Thatcher and Reagan would be neocon?
For Europeans, they are called neoliberals. What US call neoliberal, is usually just classified as liberal in Europe. The term neocon does not exist in European terminology, or at least used to not exist, nowadays it's a repeat offender for confusing the hell out of conversations between US and EU, we now have arrived at a situation where both terms are interchangeable in the EU, and two different things in the US.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5675 on: May 01, 2017, 12:36:15 pm »

I thought Yuros just called them Thatcherites cos then you can just sidestep the silly neolib neocon nonsense

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: May 01, 2017, 12:42:20 pm »

"New Labour".
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5677 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:17 pm »

Now New Labour are commmies and "New Labour" are Old Labour

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »

"New Laor", even.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: May 03, 2017, 06:46:36 am »

In Belgium, the suspect in the infamous 'castle murder' 5 years ago, has confessed. He confessed that he hired 3 hitmen to take out the castle owner, his son in law.
Belgian public opinion is split. A lot of Belgians think the man deserves no punishment for the murder.

Three months before the deadly incident, in which the castle owner was shot, and his castle burned with the body inside, the man's father in law, a respected village doctor, had reported his son in law to the authorities for alleged sexual abuse of his children (the doctor's grandchildren). However, his son in law had friends within the justice department that protected him, and the accusations went unheard.
According to the man's defense lawyers, this left the grandfather with no choice. When he heard that his son in law was planning to move to Australia, he feared so much for the safety of his grandchildren, that he contacted an old friend, well known in the criminal circuit, and asked him to contact a squad of 3 hitmen. According to his lawyers, this was the only option left to him, since the justice department would not investigate the matter. "The wellbeing of his grandchildren was the only thing he could think of", according to the lawyers.

Accusations of covering up pedophilia by the justice department are still a very sensitive subject in Belgium, even 21 years after the Dutroux affair.
The defendant has a huge following of supporters, who believe the man should not be punished for the murder, but instead, a statue should be built in his honour.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:44 am »

I have no idea what you are referring to. None of the news site I follow mention this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: May 03, 2017, 07:28:01 am »

After some googling, I believe he's referring to this:
http://nltimes.nl/2017/05/03/father-law-confesses-belgian-lords-castle-murder

No mention that the sexual abuse accusation was actually reported to the authorities, though.

United Forenia Forever!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:01 am »

As far as I can see zero evidence for the accusations of sexual abuse were actually presented.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: May 03, 2017, 09:29:18 am »

As far as I can see zero evidence for the accusations of sexual abuse were actually presented.

I finally found trace in my papers. Apparently the girl complained to her nanny, and the dude's wife said that he was going to undergo therapy to suppress incestuous urges. It's not clear the accusations had been made to the authorities.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 795