Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006695 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5250 on: March 22, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »

Anyone reminded of the Canadian Parliament shooting? Thankfully it seems the attacker in this case never had chance of making it that far into the House of Commons.

Well it's kinda hard to shoot up parliament without a gun.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: March 22, 2017, 02:17:42 pm »

There's a blurb going around the internet about the attacker being one Abu Izzadeen, known radical islamic preacher.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: March 22, 2017, 04:29:51 pm »

Well. The man certainly does look the part. It is a matter of 'was', now. Luckily and regrettably. There is one less, but also one less to interrogate. It is, as always, an uneven exchange.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: March 22, 2017, 04:58:54 pm »

I have to say, I'm finding some of the flippancy used here distasteful.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: March 22, 2017, 05:30:04 pm »

It is a matter of fatigue, in my case. I am simply unsure of what else to say. Wrapping it all up in the usual statements ("my thoughts are here and there, my heart goes out to there and here") does not truly contribute. It is, of course, a tragedy. Three people (at time of writing) has been cowardly and cruelly murdered, for no reason and for no good whatsoever. This attack and this attacker was particularly pathetic, but it does not mean that good people have not lost their lives.
I do understand that my brief contribution sounds awfully callous and uncaring, which is rather the mistake in hindsight. I do care. It is simply that by this point, it feels rather hollow and worn to telegraph that in the usual phrases, and I am not particularly good at thinking of new ways to do that.
I also believe that a certain degree of weariness is unavoidable, with these sort of events having become a fairly normal occurrence. Not that it means a complete lack of care and thought, but in the current climate, it is not entirely unreasonable to suspect that they might be.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5255 on: March 22, 2017, 06:44:08 pm »

Yeah, gotta to say the response in London was remarkably normal, besides Westminster effectively being on lockdown things returned back to normal in short order, I myself went on with dinner plans with my family and found amusingly the restaurants underbooked that day for obvious reasons. Did nearly have a heart attack when one of the waiters started shouting, fortunately only to announce someone's birthday. Besides usual fatigue, you've always got to consider that the main damage of terrorism is not the casualty number. I've often seen people say that since terrorism kills less than car crashes or heart disease it should be ignored, ignorant of this simple thing. You murder one person in a market and you shut that market down and you change the behaviour of everyone who was in that market, you murder a few people in a global city and you cause ripples throughout the world and such - thus, challenging the strength of the nation state and the global world. Things like today or in Paris where the state manifests its might and sorts everything out with admirable professionalism (the police did an amazing job on the ground ensuring things amongst the normal populace returned back to normal immediately while also neutralizing the threat immediately) is ultimately beneficial for everyone. It's when unprepared states or states losing their ability to govern like the middle east of germany that's when things look uglier and terrorism holds greater impact

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5256 on: March 22, 2017, 07:06:32 pm »

Also local politics is a great way to see immediate change. Just cos parliamentary political change is slow as fuck and likely to result in little unless you create a national movement from whole cloth (tfw UKIP so many votes but no seats), local politics helps where things matter the most and reduce lines of communication to the smallest possible lines, between those with grievances and those with the ability to coordinate responses. I think what Greatorder was referring to was terrorism itself, which you really can't do much about, this is a war where the enemy live amongst us and wear our colours until they strike - thus the best we can do is prepare for their strikes, strike back, and avoid sowing discord amongst ourselves

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: March 22, 2017, 07:54:13 pm »

In short, dont be France?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:34 am »

Well, as a Brit I have to say that the typical response I see to these things from Brits basically boils down to "Well, nothing the average person can do about it. May as well just get on with things."

We don't become overwhelmed by grief. Hell, there's usually a few dark humour jokes tossed around too.

There's plenty we can do, starting in the voting booths. We just allow ourselves to be mollified and talked around by those who are in power and want to stay there. They don't want to upset the apple cart; they want us to remain docile while they bleed us dry.

Let the political derp commence.

Blast from the past.

Fuck Sadiq Khan, and fuck Tony Blair too for good measure.

Pray, what can we do? Hunker down in bulletproof voting booths?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: March 23, 2017, 09:15:12 am »

Well, as a Brit I have to say that the typical response I see to these things from Brits basically boils down to "Well, nothing the average person can do about it. May as well just get on with things."

We don't become overwhelmed by grief. Hell, there's usually a few dark humour jokes tossed around too.

There's plenty we can do, starting in the voting booths. We just allow ourselves to be mollified and talked around by those who are in power and want to stay there. They don't want to upset the apple cart; they want us to remain docile while they bleed us dry.

Let the political derp commence.

Blast from the past.

Fuck Sadiq Khan, and fuck Tony Blair too for good measure.

Coveneant means "Vote UKIP to keep the dangerous people out". Except that we're already leaving the EU by popular vote so I think he's actually having traumatic nightmares about if Brexit had failed instead of won and posting in his sleep.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5260 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:45 am »

Coveneant means "Vote UKIP to keep the dangerous people out". Except that we're already leaving the EU by popular vote so I think he's actually having traumatic nightmares about if Brexit had failed instead of won and posting in his sleep.
Hey guys let's join the Newropian Union, no affiliations with any Unions

Don't know what you're talking about m8 diversity is our strength

There's certainly more we could be doing. Sadly, we're hamstrung by fifth columnists, as seems to be the modern western way. Probably all Russia's fault, no doubt we'll be told.
Terrorists please stop killing people, you're making the right wing stronger

Voting booths are for electing leaders, electing leaders who don't want open borders with North Africa, Eastern Yurop and Turkey is a good start. The alternative is just continue as normal with more people dying as usual. That's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: March 23, 2017, 10:13:04 am »

Voting booths are for electing leaders, electing leaders who don't want open borders with North Africa, Eastern Yurop and Turkey is a good start. The alternative is just continue as normal with more people dying as usual. That's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

The only problem with the idea of blocking out people from North Africa, Turkey, and the MidEast (dunno if you're singling out Eastern Europe seriously or being ironic in the British way, going with Britishly ironic) is that the guy was born in the UK. There is little information on what exactly the background of the person is though.

Basically, keeping people out does nothing to stop those that were radicalized on home soil.

Also, it appears that another person in Antwerp tried to do a terror attack but failed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:16:17 am by smjjames »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: March 23, 2017, 10:17:11 am »

There are a couple of ways to take this - which do you mean?

Sorry for being late bruva, went to sleep after I posted that.

The general basis comes from what I've seen happening in france in comparison to the UK. Now now, I'm not saying the UK is a safe walk in the park, but france has gone to hell in a handbasket, and a good part of it is due to the french government's complete inability to deal with it and the feeling of terror coursing through the french people. The french have given up tons of civil liberties for the sake of feeling a little bit safer, and yet attacks hit it like a truck (er, no pun intended) every single time. Wwhile the UK has its own shenaningas, I see the UK as dealing with the terror attacks in a way better fashion. People seem to react better to it, recognizing the problem but realizing that going full panic about it doesnt solve anything and in fact just plays into the terrorist's hands.

The general idea is, I think the UK will get out of this a whole lot better than france will.

Wether one likes Tommy Robinson or not, its hard to disagree with his arguments, specially when the counter arguments are just the same repetitive drivel about such things having nothing to do with islam because magic, coupled with the smug fake laughter of cowards who refuse to deal with the problem in front of them
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:19:45 am by TempAcc »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: March 23, 2017, 10:20:23 am »

The only problem with the idea of blocking out people from North Africa, Turkey, and the MidEast (dunno if you're singling out Eastern Europe seriously or being ironic in the British way, going with Britishly ironic) is that the guy was born in the UK. There is little information on what exactly the background of the person is though.

Basically, keeping people out does nothing to stop those that were radicalized on home soil.

Also, it appears that another person in Antwerp tried to do a terror attack but failed.

I'm starting to wonder at how bad some many of these supposedly terrorists are at their job. It's like the Orly dude, what kind of radical jihadi get drunk before his attack? It's starting to look like suicide by cop more than anything else.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: March 23, 2017, 10:22:07 am »

There are a couple of ways to take this - which do you mean?

Sorry for being late bruva, went to sleep after I posted that.

The general basis comes from what I've seen happening in france in comparison to the UK. Now now, I'm not saying the UK is a safe walk in the park, but france has gone to hell in a handbasket, and a good part of it is due to the french government's complete inability to deal with it and the feeling of terror coursing through the french people. The french have given up tons of civil liberties for the sake of feeling a little bit safer, and yet attacks hit it like a truck (er, no pun intended) every single time. Wwhile the UK has its own shenaningas, I see the UK as dealing with the terror attacks in a way better fashion. People seem to react better to it, recognizing the problem but realizing that going full panic about it doesnt solve anything and in fact just plays into the terrorist's hands.

The general idea is, I think the UK will get out of this a whole lot better than france will.

Wether one likes Tommy Robinson or not, its hard to disagree with his arguments, specially when the counter arguments are just the same repetitive drivel about such things having nothing to do with islam because magic

Kind of sounds like you mean 'Don't be the US right after and up to some years after 9/11'. At least we didn't keep the 'state of emergency' up indefinetly.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 793