Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006888 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4785 on: February 04, 2017, 10:22:01 pm »

What Fillion thing?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: February 04, 2017, 10:23:31 pm »

What Fillion thing?

Huh? The link is of Marine Le Pen, not Fillion.

edit: Oh, I guess you meant Sheb.

Basically, from my understanding, Fillion had his wife as his secretary and paid her like 500,000 euro a month, but she never worked a single day as his secretary.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:27:04 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: February 04, 2017, 10:23:44 pm »

Sheb's Walloonian, so I guess he's the guy you want to talk to.

E: From context I'd say it means 'national narrative'.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:26:58 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: February 06, 2017, 03:21:53 am »

Yeah, Fillion hired his wife a his parliamentary assistant to pocket the salary. Hiring relatives isn't illegal, provided they do actual work. But she never did anything, and is on record saying so. He also hired his children at some point. In addition, some billionaires paid her vast sums for a few texts to a magazine (She was paid, like, 50 bucks a letter), which looks a lot like a bribe to her husband.

Fillion ran on a persona of personnal probity, especially against Sarkozy, so it's damaging his poll standing a lot.

That "national novel" got me a tad confused, because the Le Pen website does speak of "Roman national", which is a term I didn't know. It does broadly mean "national narrative", but there seems to be a distinction in France between "récit national" (which is pushed by people like Fillion) and "roman national", which both translate as narratives. Both seems to mean an idea of teaching history as a way to justify the existence and greatness of France, but roman has stronger implications, and seems to refers especially to the way history was thaught in the firt part of the 20th century, presenting the country's history as a long line of Great Deed done by Great Men.

Also significant is the " le refus des repentances d’État qui divisent" in the same sentence: the "refusal of state apologies that divides". Basically stop acknowledging that France ever did anything wrong and push a narrative of French greatness.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: February 06, 2017, 05:44:01 am »

Yeah, Fillion hired his wife a his parliamentary assistant to pocket the salary. Hiring relatives isn't illegal, provided they do actual work. But she never did anything, and is on record saying so. He also hired his children at some point. In addition, some billionaires paid her vast sums for a few texts to a magazine (She was paid, like, 50 bucks a letter), which looks a lot like a bribe to her husband.
50 bucks a letter is not a vast sum. It's super, super cheap. Try finding an lawyer or accountant that will write a letter for you for a mere 50 bucks. Did you mean 50 thousand maybe?
Or did you mean letter as in abcdefghij etc letters?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:52 am »

50 bucks a letter is not a vast sum. It's super, super cheap. Try finding an lawyer or accountant that will write a letter for you for a mere 50 bucks. Did you mean 50 thousand maybe?
Or did you mean letter as in abcdefghij etc letters?

Context is important, he mentioned that these were texts sent to a magazine, of which there was a very huge ratio of cash-to-characters
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: February 06, 2017, 06:17:09 am »

Yeah, I meant characters. She published two book reviews in La Revue des deux mondes, a formerly famous litterary magazine, but who know only has about 5000 readers. For her work over a period of two years, she received a monthly salary of about 5000 euros.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: February 06, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »

Geert Wilders reached a new low, by photoshopping a picture of a sharia for britain protest to make it look like the leader of the pragmatist democratic party (D66), Alexander Pechtold, was part of that protest holding a sharia sign, claiming it was a protest in the Netherlands, and sending the picture to his Twitter followers.

Pechtold rebuked at first by referring to a demonstration organized by Wilders, with neonazis attending, and said "sadly, the neo-nazis at his manifestation were not photoshopped".
Pechtold said somewhat later that he is considering pressing criminal charges against Wilders, if the public prosecutor doesn't press charges first, for incitement.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/den-haag-fel-om-tweet-wilders-met-bewerkte-foto-pechtold-als-shariah-aanhanger~a4458633/
https://twitter.com/geertwilderspvv/status/828502461421850624

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: February 07, 2017, 04:26:43 am »

Wouldn't that be libel rather than incitement?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: February 07, 2017, 08:14:12 am »

You'd think so, but apparently Pechtold thinks that the picture, combined with the political climate, Wilders' rhetoric and the amount of death threats Pechtold receives does make it incitement.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:16:07 am by martinuzz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: February 07, 2017, 09:43:54 am »

That seems like an incredibly light sentence, though not entirely unexpected, unfortunately.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4797 on: February 07, 2017, 10:00:08 am »

Sweden is like watching the Hindenburg set forth on its voyage

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:29 am »

The article says his age is 18, and he was 17 when he did it, so he was judged as a minor.

The worst part is that according to that aryicle he's since then raped another girl but wasn't even sentenced for rape then, just molestation/ assault  (I am unsure what it translates as, legally speaking).

The paper, by the way, is a reputable one. Not a high quality journalism one, but not British tabloid level either.Here is the same things reported by a higher standard paper, except the part about the second trial.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: February 07, 2017, 10:27:44 am »

Based on excerpts of some "family book", whatever that is, from Syria, yeah.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 793