Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006912 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #3540 on: August 02, 2016, 03:05:33 pm »

Journalists are supposed to remain impartial, the BBC in particular, given it's a public broadcaster.

Anyhow: Current BBC political editor manufactures news story.

Former BBC political editor lies.
Lmao that's reaching much

She highlighted a series of tweets about both the left wing and right wing bias of Newsnight regarding the same edition of the programme
Also lol, "manufactures", they didn't force Stephen to resign, they got the exclusive. Also lol @ right wing bias, the Beeb has driven diversity harder than any Brit institution shot of the gov
Should've seen one of our QT where Beeb stacked the audience 3/5 left wing and 2/5 Tory, then pretended it was even split, before announcing that it was 3/5 left wing after it was politically insignificant. Organized, or accident?

That's the thing about Beeb bias, in that it's mutable, and everyone is convinced it's against them. But if it's against everyone, to whom is it biased? To that end the Beeb is second to none, except Reuters who I think as of late have been trying harder than Beeb.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 02, 2016, 03:38:51 pm »

Joseph Stiglitz ripped IMF to shreds 15 years ago for the austerity BS. He asked them why they did a whole range of policies that wrecked asian economies after the 1998 Asian meltdown and the only answer was "that's what we always tell them to do". Basically they tell you to tighten your belt and sell everything off, while eliminating all barriers to foreign ownership, regardless of what the actual circumstances are like in a per-country basis. In fact, the asian meltdown occurred in part because IMF previously pushed financial deregulation on Asia in the decade before that, which made things like dependence on foreign capital more intense, and made it easier for capital flight to exacerbate any economic hiccup. In other words, they have their own agenda (which is about opening up markets to corporate investors, and bailing out same investors if things subsequently collapse) and always push same policies regardless of the specific circumstances of any country. They're still doing the same shit the same way almost 20 years after Stiglitz (who was chief economist of the World Bank) called them out for that behavior.

As you probably notice, the successful countries don't actually operate the way the IMF tells you to do things, although they pull the strings of the IMF. It's a case of "do as we tell you, not as we do!" A common sense approach is to save in the good years, spend in the bad years. The only problem is that it's not politically expedient to pull the brakes on government spending during the boom years. But it's something that really needs to happen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:47:08 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3542 on: August 02, 2016, 05:43:51 pm »

It's the Express, but still relevant.
Quote from: The article
A spokeswoman for BBC defended the advert.
She said: “This is not a job, but simply a training and development opportunity.
Funny that; my companies in the Virgin Islands aren't tax havens, they're simply legitimate holding corporations.
Spoiler: Mfw I'm BBC director (click to show/hide)

Joseph Stiglitz ripped IMF to shreds 15 years ago for the austerity BS. He asked them why they did a whole range of policies that wrecked asian economies after the 1998 Asian meltdown and the only answer was "that's what we always tell them to do". Basically they tell you to tighten your belt and sell everything off, while eliminating all barriers to foreign ownership, regardless of what the actual circumstances are like in a per-country basis. In fact, the asian meltdown occurred in part because IMF previously pushed financial deregulation on Asia in the decade before that, which made things like dependence on foreign capital more intense, and made it easier for capital flight to exacerbate any economic hiccup. In other words, they have their own agenda (which is about opening up markets to corporate investors, and bailing out same investors if things subsequently collapse) and always push same policies regardless of the specific circumstances of any country. They're still doing the same shit the same way almost 20 years after Stiglitz (who was chief economist of the World Bank) called them out for that behavior.
I thought the IMF's goal was to create a global reserve currency to supplant the Dollar, which is why they so obsequiously stuck to the Eurozone, even if it meant the US had to pay some of the cost, developing economies were not given the loans they needed to actually develop, and the Eurozone was proving to be more intellectual wank than actual money in the bank.
I love this stuff:
Fund officials had severe doubts about whether Greece's debt would be sustainable even after the first bailout was provided in May 2010 and only agreed to the plan because of fears of contagion.
While it succeeded in keeping Greece in the eurozone, the report admitted the bailout included notable failures.
"Market confidence was not restored, the banking system lost 30% of its deposits and the economy encountered a much deeper than expected recession with exceptionally high unemployment."
Shows how they were clearly clever enough to realize what they were about to do, but chose to ignore these possibilities anyways out of political ambition

Cheeky monkeys

As you probably notice, the successful countries don't actually operate the way the IMF tells you to do things, although they pull the strings of the IMF. It's a case of "do as we tell you, not as we do!" A common sense approach is to save in the good years, spend in the bad years. The only problem is that it's not politically expedient to pull the brakes on government spending during the boom years. But it's something that really needs to happen.
Yeah that's pretty common sense. I've got nothing more to add on this, you summed it up.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 02, 2016, 08:42:34 pm »

I really wish politics and common sense intersected more. As it is, they only intersect when common sense is beneficial for politics.
You and me both.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3544 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:40 am »

I really wish politics and common sense intersected more. As it is, they only intersect when common sense is beneficial for politics.
Well the purples with their bloody common sense can get fucked, as a red, I think we should talk about how the blues are even worse than the yellows

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3545 on: August 03, 2016, 09:28:55 pm »

Fuckit I'm making the Purple Party
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 04, 2016, 03:54:42 am »

A 19 year old person started slashing people with a knife in the streets of London. One elderly woman died, 5  people were taken to hospital with injuries.
The perpetrator has been tazed and arrested, and is charged with murder.

Police cannot comment on the motive, but cannot rule out terrorism.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 04, 2016, 08:57:28 am »

Motive may never be known, definitely not Islam, mentally ill, etc. etc.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: August 04, 2016, 09:28:55 am »

Motive may never be known, definitely not Islam, mentally ill, etc. etc.
¨

A Norwegian with Somali background.

Definitely not terrorism.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3549 on: August 04, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »

Norway YES

Anyways the guy was completely silent when he was stabbing everyone, so probably just a mentally ill migrant nothing to see here

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 04, 2016, 02:23:22 pm »

Norway YES

Anyways the guy was completely silent when he was stabbing everyone, so probably just a mentally ill migrant nothing to see here
I'll bet you that disproportionate numbers of people who are poor, and therefore want to move to nicer places, have mental health problems.

Still sucks for the people he stabbed. Hope no one else dies from it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3551 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:04 pm »

I'll bet you that disproportionate numbers of people who are poor, and therefore want to move to nicer places, have mental health problems.

Still sucks for the people he stabbed. Hope no one else dies from it.
Everyone wants to move to nice places, the grass is always greener on the other side

One of these days we will succeed in deporting all Scandinavians back to Somalia

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: August 04, 2016, 02:50:44 pm »

It just needs to get colder, LW.

Migrantory patterns in humans may come soon.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3553 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »

It just needs to get colder, LW.

Migrantory patterns in humans may come soon.
That won't work because we have no Genghis Khan

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3554 on: August 04, 2016, 07:02:46 pm »

Who's in charge of Mongolia these days?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 793