Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006667 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #3420 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:16 am »

Meanwhile, Turkey and Russia had a diplomatic meeting today to "restore trade relations to what they were, or better yet, improve them over the situation before november 24th".

On that day, Russian-Turkish relations were seriously damaged by Turkey shooting down a Russian jet fighter.

Perhaps Erdogan is preparing for the leave NATO scenario?

Yesterday, Erdogan ranted about Europe violating the refugee agreement, not paying up and not allowing Turks to enter the EU without visum yet, in an interview with the german ARD channel. He also reiterated in the interview, that "the people of Turkey want the death penalty back, we have to listen to them".
http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/erdogan-interview-107.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:36:55 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3421 on: July 26, 2016, 05:36:15 am »

Perhaps Erdogan is preparing for the leave NATO scenario?
Seems like a prudent decision. Strategically it'd be good for Russia to have closer ties with Turkey as well.

Yesterday, Erdogan ranted about Europe violating the refugee agreement, not paying up and not allowing Turks to enter the EU without visum yet.
Haha, it's almost as though Turkey's not in the EU
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3422 on: July 26, 2016, 05:36:54 am »

After the perpetrators were shot, police found that they had killed the priest by slitting his throat. Another hostage is in hospital in critical condition.
There's some reports the bearded men shouted 'Daesh'.
Does not make sense though, I thought Daesh was a curse word for IS, not used by them themselves.
It's just the Arabic acronym, means the same thing. Westerners love it because they get tired of saying "so-called" every time they say Islamic State, and if they say Daesh no one knows what it means so they don't have to bother saying "so-called Daesh", cos it's just the acronym for Dawlat al-Islamiyah f'al-Iraq wa al-Sham. It's supposed to be derogatory cos Daesh sounds like the Arabic words that translate to "to trample on" so whilst Daesh try to appear civilized and shit, the name says they're trampling on stuff. Which is pretty weak if you ask me, since they don't really care if anyone says they're trampling on infidels. Much better off just calling them goat-fucking outcasts, or G(T)FO

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: July 26, 2016, 05:40:56 am »

I dont think this is more than just theater for interior politics. Or with time, Uncle Erdö will find out that the Russki will not forget. Nor forgive.

Russia still fights a foe that Turkey supports, or at least tolerates, and threat of Islamic Jihadists is very real in both nations.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: July 26, 2016, 06:18:30 am »

problem is, erdogan is discovering that his allies don't like him at all.
He might want to get closer ties to russia, if not to fully change alliances at least to have another bargaining chip.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: July 26, 2016, 06:56:58 am »

President Hollande has confirmed in a press conference that the church assailants claimed to act on behalf of IS.
He say that France will continue it's battle with IS with 'all means available'. Does he mean nukes?

The Vatican has condemned the "barbaric murder" of the 86 year old priest and said that "it's even more gruesome because it happened in a holy place".

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3426 on: July 26, 2016, 07:11:48 am »

Unlikeliness aside, it would be pretty satisfying to see Raqqa go up in a mushroom cloud
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 26, 2016, 07:14:37 am »

Nuke's too fast, dirty bomb plox so they take days or weeks to die of radiation poisoning. I mean, that's where the discussion is going, right?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 26, 2016, 07:17:32 am »

Don't you think that's a bit of sensationalist editorialising?
Maybe a bit. I did genuinly wonder though what Hollande meant with 'all means available', with France having the 3d or 4th largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: July 26, 2016, 07:22:48 am »

No matter what means are used, what exactly would be accomplished by complete destruction of Raqqa?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3430 on: July 26, 2016, 07:36:31 am »

No matter what means are used, what exactly would be accomplished by complete destruction of Raqqa?
It'd be a nightmare for IS to recover, logistically. If the centre of their organisation is gone, it's not a stretch to imagine splinters opening up all over the place.
Morale would be ruined. Capital of the Caliphate, vaporised? Fuck, maybe this war isn't worth fighting any more.
Morale would be ruined on the coalition side, which might give pacifists and progressives enough leverage to convince everyone to stop fighting.
Hundreds of thousands of Sunni Muslims also vaporised. That's a plus for militant Shiites, crusaders, and the alt-right. UN and HRW can suck it.
Finally, we get to see a cool mushroom cloud.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: July 26, 2016, 07:49:04 am »

Yeah, but our problem isn't really the ones in Syria, it's the ones in Europe. Sure, they declare allegiance to IS, but I doubt there's much real connection between them. If there was some sort of a hierarchy, intelligence agencies wouldn't so powerless to prevent these attacks. So yeah, can't really disrupt logistics, and as far as morale is concerned I think nuking the Caliphate would be more likely to radicalize them even more than to demoralize them into quitting.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: July 26, 2016, 08:14:23 am »

It's not about flying off to Syria. DJ means that it would possibly radicalize more of the EU-born muslims, and cause more Paris / Nice/ Munich / etc. attacks.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: July 26, 2016, 08:17:45 am »

Yeah, them flying off to Syria and getting out of our hair is actually a good thing. Especially if they wind up killed by Kurds.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:05 am »

Not to mention that using nukes is against international law. And it would severely wreck relations with other countries.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 793