Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006771 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2415 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:37 am »

I'd be a lot happier with the EU if it ran itself like an actual country, (or even like the Use-impaired Nations), rather than like an extended business affair.
I want a bigass unitary European state.
Unitary Europe is impossible for many reasons, the first (but not the last) one of which is "there's no common European language".
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: June 11, 2016, 08:52:57 am »

I'd be a lot happier with the EU if it ran itself like an actual country, (or even like the Use-impaired Nations), rather than like an extended business affair.
Unitary Europe is impossible for many reasons, the first (but not the last) one of which is "there's no common European language".

Unitary Switzerland/Belgium/Canada/India is impossible for many reasons, the first (but not the last) one of which is "there's no common Swiss/Belgian/Canadian/Indian language".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 11, 2016, 08:53:54 am »

Well, why are you quoting my message then, if you're not addressing my argument?

I am responding to your statement about how the EU being ruled by the parliament would be a good thing. In itself.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 11, 2016, 08:58:15 am »

I was pointing out that the EU is run more "like a country" than like a business. Unless you think that a Board of Director would be better than the Parliament, we probable agree. :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 11, 2016, 08:59:16 am »

Unitary Switzerland/Belgium/Canada/India is impossible for many reasons, the first (but not the last) one of which is "there's no common Swiss/Belgian/Canadian/Indian language".
These are unitary states? I was pretty sure they were federalized. Switzerland especially so, what with "cantons" being semi-independent entities and all. Belgium is federalized as well, given that it has the whole "flemish vs someone else" as a differentiating factor, Canada - obviously, is somewhat federalized as well, given that Quebec even wanted to secede at some point, and India is infamous for having very little centralization.

These are some mighty poor examples.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 11, 2016, 09:03:05 am »

Oh, yeah, I didn't get that you meant 'Unitary' as opposed to 'Federal'. Yeah, you're probably right then.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 11, 2016, 09:04:55 am »

I was pointing out that the EU is run more "like a country" than like a business. Unless you think that a Board of Director would be better than the Parliament, we probable agree. :p

Nope, I think the EU should be run more like a council, and with all decisions being agreed or disagreed on by each member state's government, so that any country's sovereignty is not trampled on by a majority of other countries who do not answer to or represent the tramplee's people. That way no government can hide behind "it was the EU who decided it!" excuses for their own actions either.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: June 11, 2016, 09:09:42 am »

Nope, I think the EU should be run more like a council, and with all decisions being agreed or disagreed on by each member state's government, so that any country's sovereignty is not trampled on by a majority of other countries who do not answer to or represent the tramplee's people. That way no government can hide behind "it was the EU who decided it!" excuses for their own actions either.

They managed to do it before Lisbon, when that was the case. Even now with most matter managed by QMV, the Council require unanimity for taxation, finance, social policy, citizenship, foreign policy and a bunch of other.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 11, 2016, 09:26:34 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pduRbz7IbIo
Well looks like EA found a solution to the immigration crisis before it even began.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 11, 2016, 09:38:28 am »

I'm wondering how long until you start posting pictures of concentration camps after finding out that those guys also had a pretty swell solution to people they don't like.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: June 11, 2016, 09:42:27 am »

Perhaps, in a way. I don't see how a parliament is supposed to help, though. All it does is moving the power from "technically has power to say no but spineless politicians" to "does not have any power to govern itself". For smaller countries it would literally mean being ruled by countries who are not elected by our people, who do not answer to our people, who do not have to concern itself with our people, and who feels no loyalty, solidarity, or community with our people. It is the opposite of what western democracy wants to achieve - it is literally one more German cannibal trend away from being the wolves voting with the sheep.

(that is a literal hyperbole)

I'm wondering how long until you start posting pictures of concentration camps after finding out that those guys also had a pretty swell solution to people they don't like.

There already are immigration concentration camps, you know?
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 11, 2016, 09:45:04 am »

Well, I quite like the idea of a Parliament myself. It's an area where european policies can be hashed out in public more clearly than in the necessarily more opaque intergovernemental Council. Plus, at the moment, we have a Parliament AND a Council, so you're represented twice, by your MEP, and by your minister! Ain't that swell?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: June 11, 2016, 09:55:24 am »

Ah yes, in the words of the ones on top the pile is always the best state of being.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: June 11, 2016, 10:05:38 am »

Ooooh, I've been promoted to "someone at the top". I did use to buy my sandwhiches from the same shop that Verhofstadt patroned.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 11, 2016, 10:07:06 am »

4. Do you believe Germans have a choice in taking in refugees
Nope. They're coming either way. I want this to happen with the least amount of friction.

The least amount of friction is the worst possible thing that can happen to Europe. They are not going to give up their culture, traditions and way of life so if there is only little friction, it only means Europe gives up its own.
Why does it mean that we're giving up our own culture? I am really wanting for some description of how that would happen. Only because I'm letting people live near me and don't expect them to act as I do doesn't mean that I have to take on their culture.

So, how will we lose our culture?
By churches being burned down? By Muslims storming the Louvre and destroying everything inside? By Christians, Jews and Atheists converting to Islam? Will future musicians feel forced to sing about the greatness of Allah? Will they outbreed us until all the earlier Europeans go extinct?
I really, honestly do not get how letting them have their culture (as long as it's frictionless, of course) would impede us in our ability to keep our culture.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 793