Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006896 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1965 on: April 28, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »

Paul is dead :(

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 28, 2016, 04:07:53 pm »

Paul is dead :(
RIP Paul. Never 4get.

We need another psychic mollusk.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 28, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »

Are they psychic thou- I mean, all hail our new mollusk overlords.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:44 pm »

In that case our dictators shall be selected by kittens. We simply release a box of kittens into a room containing the candidates, who are bound to the floor. The one with the largest number of kittens on or by them after 3 hours is the new supreme leader.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1970 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »

I want to get toxic plasmosis out of politics, not into it. I'd rather have psychic octopus and squid decide who our leaders are.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:56 pm »

I want to get toxic plasmosis out of politics, not into it. I'd rather have psychic octopus and squid decide who our leaders are.

Would cuttlefish be acceptable?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1972 on: April 28, 2016, 04:29:08 pm »

Would cuttlefish be acceptable?
Some people are allergic to cuttlefish and cannot develop tolerance to them, that would be unwise, especially with psychic cuttlefish

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 28, 2016, 04:37:02 pm »

Your memes are choking out your convincingness, LW :P
I'd be rather worried if I convinced people to adopt sharia law ironically
Yeah but you've gone so far into satire that you're going back around into being completely unconvincing for your actual point. You're starting to build strawmen by pretending to be a 'liberal' in response to someone pointing out that it isn't a liberal policy, it's a left-wing policy.

Thought police is bad, no matter the form. It's actions that matter, and if we want to be democratic, we lights let people vote for what they want. If we don't, that could be alright too, just be aware that's what you're doing and that the right dictators are in charge.
Who picks the right dictators
So you get my point then.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1974 on: April 28, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »

Yeah but you've gone so far into satire that you're going back around into being completely unconvincing for your actual point. You're starting to build strawmen by pretending to be a 'liberal' in response to someone pointing out that it isn't a liberal policy, it's a left-wing policy.
I already made my actual point, whatever follows is just banter

there is literally nothing wrong with multiculturalism
lel

So you get my point then.
That dictators are managers for the real dictators

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1975 on: April 28, 2016, 05:01:02 pm »

Who picks the right dictators
The previous dictator. It worked for the Nervan dynasty.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 29, 2016, 01:04:59 am »

The minister of defence is the one who coordinates all three branches of the military into one cohesive strategy.

Quoting several pages back, but I'll answer this: no it isnt. Minister of defence is typically not a military leader. He/she may be able to give the military some tasks, but is typically not part of the chain of command.

Militaries are led by whoever leads them, answering to the head of the state and/or minister of defence and/or minister of foreign affairs depending on the nation or country. Minister of defence "just" runs the ministry and is typically basically highest level the peacetime manager that has a lot to say about where the money goes over the actual military leaders.

Practices do vary but for example around here, military personnel and the high command themselves are apolitical and the military at most only gives recommendations, when asked, while the ministry and the minister of defence(a member of the parliament that has been voted to his/her position, unlike military leaders) are the ones that make the decisions for the military to execute. During peace, that. Generals and other high rankers only become political lobbyists for their branches or, less often, for their parties once they retire - though often the voices of these retired generals do reflect the thoughts and opinions from within their houses/factions.

We've also had female minister of defence in the 90s and the previous one before Niinistö, Carl Haglund, served in civilian service instead of armed service in the military. Great deal of people thought that alone made him an incompetent as a male leader.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:07:06 am by Erkki »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1977 on: April 29, 2016, 07:18:20 am »

Quoting several pages back, but I'll answer this: no it isnt. Minister of defence is typically not a military leader. He/she may be able to give the military some tasks, but is typically not part of the chain of command.
The role of a defence minister varies considerably from country to country; in some the minister is only in charge of general budget matters and procurement of equipment; while in others the minister is also, in addition, an integral part of the operational military chain of command.
Usually countries with active militaries have them as integral parts of the operational military chain of command, coordinating all the Air Chief Marshals, Admirals and Generals - the Defence Secretary sets the goals and sends forth his officers to achieve them. Most of our defence secretaries in the UK have been civilians, and the Ministry of Defence itself is a hodge podge of civilians, advisors, scientists and military officials - it helps to keep things under control and in line with civilian policy, in turn keeping the military in coordination and line.

Militaries are led by whoever leads them, answering to the head of the state and/or minister of defence and/or minister of foreign affairs depending on the nation or country. Minister of defence "just" runs the ministry and is typically basically highest level the peacetime manager that has a lot to say about where the money goes over the actual military leaders.
Such managerial duties falls to our Chief of Defence Materiel and the Logistics Officers. The role of Defence Minister as coordinator of all three branches goes back to the need for the Royal Navy, British Army and the fresh Royal Air Force to coordinate under one coherent leadership during WWII - hence Winston Churchill. It's been the basic standard Western framework that's been adopted most around the world because it is necessary, and defence policy cannot be conducted by independent generals in today's world operating outside of civilian governance and coherent strategy.

We've also had female minister of defence in the 90s and the previous one before Niinistö, Carl Haglund, served in civilian service instead of armed service in the military. Great deal of people thought that alone made him an incompetent as a male leader.
You've got the same model, only your Defence Secretary/Minister is called the Chief of Defence and your Defence Secretary acts as Chief of Defence Materiel
Though you're a bit weird in that your Chief of Defence is an actual military commander, not a cabinet post

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 29, 2016, 02:34:57 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/29/politics/russians-barrel-roll-air-force-plane/index.html (this is actually the second time this month)

Did the Russian military watch too much of Top Gun or something? You guys seem to be getting rather brazen recently. I know it's the usual Cold War style sabre rattling, but let's be serious here, would the Soviets have pulled off something that brazen?

Also, I wonder how Trump would react to that kind of stuff? Just some rhetorical food for thought for you guys. Obviously Hillary would show the same restraint, though with maybe a stronger worded response.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:38:52 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1979 on: April 29, 2016, 03:09:09 pm »

The Soviets couldn't and were also rather nervous because total annihilation of the human race and all

This is the second barrel roll maneuver over a U.S. aircraft by the Russians this month.
Banter
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 793