Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006789 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1170 on: March 20, 2016, 01:56:26 am »

The comparison of Merkel to someone who's on the path to some ethnic cleansing routines seems a bit extreme to me, to be honest. 'Authoritarian' implies that no one wants it. I'm not saying it's a good thing to have, but people are rarely very good at knowing what's best for them. Odds are there's plenty of support for this, so calling a democratically elected leader enacting plans with popular support, ones that are supposed to be about inclusion and helping people. Incompetently so, yes. But the moral hierarchy does not place them at the bottom. Somewhere in the middle-ish, perhaps. Not the top either, though.

Seriously though the whole extreme sides of political spectrum on opposite sides of the Atlantic thing going on is really weird, anyone have any idea if they're feeding off each other?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 20, 2016, 05:09:02 am »

For the far-right, there is quite a bit of overlap in ideology due to the internet. Supporters of the European populist right often also support Trump, and vice versa. I would say that the authoritarian left is similar in that regard. However, I believe that right-wing nationalist movements are more likely to engage in symbiotic relationships with similar movements in other countries due to their more grassroots nature.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:12:44 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 20, 2016, 11:58:49 am »

Erdogan going full dictator so openly is something that should be impossible. Abusing a terrorism threat to destroy all rights is a move done so many times by dictators before. The fact that he is largely getting away with it ridiculous.

Why? France gets away with it after the Paris attacks (national state of emergency ever since, planned to go on for a few years, with extra special permissions for police and army, and curfews. Erdogan is just going like "hey I can do what France can do too!"

The scale of Erdogan's repression is a multitude worse than what France is doing. There is almost no comparing. France hasn't arrested 2000 people for insulting the president or closed newspapers for being too critical.

France has given out stiff fines for "insulting the dignity of the Republic" for decades. No further change was needed.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:06 am »

60 Minutes Australia crew rock up in Stockholm and get beaten up by Somali migrants after being there for five minutes. Somewhat unremarkable, sadly, but the moment when a native Swedish guy manages to save them by ramming his mobility scooter into one of the migrants at top speed is pretty hilarious and worth watching.

Though it looks like the 60 Minutes crew then basically legged it and left their heroic mobility-impaired Norse rescuer to fight the gang off himself. Sweden yes, Australia no?

To be fair, I suppose the soundman at least wasn't in much condition to fight after another group of Somali migrants ran him over within two minutes of the 60 Minutes crew first stepping out of their car (also quite funny, though I suppose it really shouldn't be. Happens at around the 3m mark).

Why were the migrants attacking the news crew though?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 21, 2016, 07:27:22 pm »

Why were the migrants attacking the news crew though?
Because the media is run by the white racist patriarchy and needs to be more progresiv and toleran and the only way to make that happen is to be violent and uncompromising. Haven't you learned anything from being on the internet?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 21, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »

Maybe they thought they were austrian instead of australian?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 21, 2016, 07:48:45 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:32:52 pm by Toady One »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 21, 2016, 07:54:10 pm »

(removed)

I can't tell if you're shitposting ironically or being bigoted.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:33:06 pm by Toady One »

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 21, 2016, 08:41:16 pm »

Shitposting.
But still,what does a country gain from this immigration thing?
I mean it may bring an economic boost when it is qualified people , holding technical degrees or professional ones.
But when it is someone that is barely literate in their own tongue? Then what could be hoped from a person that never got a good education?
Could they get a job that will let them live in a decent way or they will just slack and just farm social benefits and welfare?
(Want to see other people viewpoint on this topic.and since this should be a somewhat civilised forum let's hope it ain't devolving into petty shitposting.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 21, 2016, 08:53:14 pm »

Alright, I'll point out the obvious one:

Unqualified immigrants often do jobs that noone else wants to do. In that they can be a boon to the economy as well.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 21, 2016, 08:56:17 pm »

Well, that's exactly the topic that is raging over in Europe. The other (and not particularily publicized) problem that the European countries are facing is that their birth rate is below the replacement rate, so Europe really does need immigrants, just not at the firehose rate that they currently get. Although they are having serious problems with integrating those that they DO get otherwise.

Anyways, if the migrants are willing, they can be offered classes to help improve their education and develop skills.

Alright, I'll point out the obvious one:

Unqualified immigrants often do jobs that noone else wants to do. In that they can be a boon to the economy as well.

True that. See the agricultural industry here in the US and migrant workers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:13:00 pm by smjjames »

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 21, 2016, 09:31:33 pm »

The thing is if their sons or daughters will improve upon their parents.
About the Latin Americans as agricultural workers is the issue about that from my personal experience half the migrants we get in Chile as agricultural workers are what in not so nice words could be called poor urban populations.I believe this could true for several other countries.
As someone that studied in an agricultural school and now I'm my first year studying agronomy it pains me to see someone claim they used to be farmers and not even know how to hold a shovel or in fact use properly a hoe and then complain about back problems.
You will say that someone without any skill can be an agricultural worker.but the fact is most of the time they would be only good as menial workers or do extremely repetitive task that could be easily replaced by a cheap tractor.
Agricultural tasks require skilled people. This issue can easily be noticed with the Khmer rouge idiotic mentality.
You can't just drag a person from a city and expe ct them to be an effective farmer.
You just end up having less harvests for a given field and also lowering the quality of the soil and wasting water to get less money for your investments.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 21, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »

I was thinking mainly of the Mexican migrant workers. Can't vouch for their skill or anything, but apparently they are needed in the agricultural industry for the work that Americans don't want to do and that we haven't created cheap autonomous replacements for. I know the agricultural industry isn't the only place that immigrant workers play a role in.

The thing though is that we're talking about the American economy when we should be talking about the European economy, and I know nothing about the role of unskilled (or poorly skilled) immigrants in the European economy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:41:31 pm by smjjames »

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 21, 2016, 09:41:49 pm »

That last thing is what puzzles me.
In what economic roles they fail,In which ones they succeed.
It's something important to know once they became part of European Countries.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 22, 2016, 12:33:23 am »

Here's the thing.

A lot of the time, second generation immigrants have really damn good work ethic, because they have to, and their parents make sure they damn well know how hard it was to get to this point so they're gonna go to college goddamnit. Many of a country's best minds can be made of immigrants. Furthermore, immigrants provide cheap labor. Period. They are looked down on, don't have connections to get good jobs, rarely have the rights/respect of native workers, particularly if illegal, and have to make do with the jobs they get. In reasonable numbers, they tend to boost the economy. Massive influxes/a focus on human rights and not letting these people get treated like crap counters most of the advantages they bring due to less pressure and more overflow.

Thing is, Europe isn't America. America is a nation of immigrants. Europe is a continent that is already at capacity. Immigrants don't help nearly as much. They still do, but they don't have the same 'Capitalism HO!' mentality that allows for the same levels of exploitation. Even if they did, this many people simply can't be integrated into existing structures effectively.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 793