Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1068960 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9750 on: March 19, 2019, 03:37:19 pm »

I kind of wonder about something concerning this: if NI was to join the ROI (with twin referendums in the ROI and NI).... how would it work out, exactly? AFAIK the parliament in Belfast has quite a bit of devolved authority (and the population itself is quite big). Also AFAIK: the ROI is quite centralized. So I'm not sure as to how it would work out, as I doubt very much the regional goverment would be happy giving up said devolved authority, regardless of who was in charge.  Keep it as it's now just transferring ultimate executive power to Dublin instead of London? That's also potentially troublesome. I guess a bit more viable politically speaking, but it kind of leaves the issue in the air and NI in a bit of a limbo.   Maybe remake the Irish republic into some sort of Province-based federal republic, with devolved parliaments in Belfast, Cork and Galway?  That's a huge change from the status quo, so it would be hard to have everyone agree to that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:53:39 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: March 19, 2019, 04:47:09 pm »

Disestablish both states in favor of a network of anarchist communes, eternal and invincible in their rebellion against She-Who-Is-Liz.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: March 19, 2019, 05:04:07 pm »

I kind of wonder about something concerning this: if NI was to join the ROI (with twin referendums in the ROI and NI).... how would it work out, exactly? AFAIK the parliament in Belfast has quite a bit of devolved authority (and the population itself is quite big). Also AFAIK: the ROI is quite centralized. So I'm not sure as to how it would work out, as I doubt very much the regional goverment would be happy giving up said devolved authority, regardless of who was in charge.  Keep it as it's now just transferring ultimate executive power to Dublin instead of London? That's also potentially troublesome. I guess a bit more viable politically speaking, but it kind of leaves the issue in the air and NI in a bit of a limbo.   Maybe remake the Irish republic into some sort of Province-based federal republic, with devolved parliaments in Belfast, Cork and Galway?  That's a huge change from the status quo, so it would be hard to have everyone agree to that.

Maybe some sort of special autonomy status? A hypothetical situation like that where it's done democratically isn't a very common thing, at least not peacefully. So, there aren't a whole lot of examples to look at. The only example I can really think of that happened is anything close to that would be the reuninifcation of East and West Germany.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: March 19, 2019, 05:52:28 pm »

In the event of a NI independence the most likely result would be them remaining independent from the RoI. They might hash out some kind of deals to work more closely along the border than they do now, probably maintain economic ties and so on and so forth, but actually joining together wouldn't work well at this time, too much difference in political systems and allegiances.

Nor is there really much point to them joining together tbh. They'd probably have few problems working together in the event of them both being sovereign nations as long as neither of them wind up in control of religious fundamentalists. There's not much to gain by becoming one country they can't get by just being friends and/or having an amiable business relationship.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: March 19, 2019, 06:39:22 pm »

It was apparently something that was considered as a possible option for the GFA, or was enough of a possibility that some parties wanted to leave the door open for it.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:11 am »

I don't really know much about the political climate of Europe other than you all seem to really hate each other :P (joking)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: March 20, 2019, 07:41:41 am »

We really only hate the French
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: March 20, 2019, 07:49:53 am »

And the Swedish
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: March 20, 2019, 07:51:07 am »

I dunno, the Belgians waffling seems to get quite a bit of press... 

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:53 am »

Exactly, I'm sure you guys can keep going until you admit you hate everyone including yourselves.
In a time before time, I had a name.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:53 am »

We hate ourselves more than anything
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: March 20, 2019, 01:11:32 pm »

So, anything happening with the British Parliament today as far as the Brexit vote goes?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: March 20, 2019, 01:25:42 pm »

No vote ‘til... next week at some point. May is apparently requesting a short extension tomorrow.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:17 pm »

Also apparently France is saying they're going to veto a short-term extension request unless there's serious guarantee a deal will be accepted in short order? Something like that.  if you're under the impression may can do jack all to guarantee that, you'd be right :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:53 pm »

Excellent. The bear trap she herself created is beginning to close over her paw.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 795