Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1069154 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9645 on: February 28, 2019, 05:50:29 am »

Since random paramilitaries is a fairly low bar so far as ethical standards are concerned, I think it is fair to say most professional militaries are much, much better. You could argue they also have greater responsibility I suppose, but then you're really comparing them with an idealised version of themselves rather than paramilitary forces. So, both are problematic, but one is an order of magnitude or so better than the other for all practical purposes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: February 28, 2019, 06:44:28 am »

In my mind the problem is less that people were joining a foreign military or militia or whatever (which is nothing new, see the Spanish Civil war for a famous example, hell, even Lord Byron died while fighting for Greek independence from the Ottoman Empire). The problem is what ISIS stands for and what they did.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: February 28, 2019, 06:45:42 am »

In my mind the problem is less that people were joining a foreign military or militia or whatever (which is nothing new, see the Spanish Civil war for a famous example, hell, even Lord Byron died while fighting for Greek independence from the Ottoman Empire). The problem is what ISIS stands for and what they did.
QFT
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: February 28, 2019, 10:02:30 pm »

The Swiss are not part of the EU
Hence why I mentioned it's technically not EU news, though it is related to the topic that was at hand. :P

But yes, as far as I can tell, the Swiss constitutional amendment in question makes no provision for allied powers or terrorists, just foreign militaries in general; my jest on banning Swiss mercenaries does have truth behind it.  It doesn't matter if the Swiss citizen served in ISIS or YPG, or given the example in that news story, the French Foreign Legion. 

Well, that's not perfectly accurate, either.  If you fought for a proscribed group like ISIS, according to the article, you'd be punished even worse: a potential maximum of 20 years in prison instead of 3 years.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: March 01, 2019, 01:55:34 am »

Well, IIRC the FFL at least gets you French citizenship.  So the real question is whether you're willing to stop being Swiss.

On the other hand myreply was more for smj:  I dont see the Swiss in a Pan European army for the same reason Idont see Norway:  they're not actually part of the EU
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: March 09, 2019, 11:42:58 am »

So, in other Norwegian mining news... Seems some other mining operation has appealed to develop a rutile mine in Førde, which would then dump its waste into the nearby fjord (this is a different fjord from the last one, just to be clear). So they sent in an application to the government to get the requisite mining and dumping permits, which is currently being worked on even though technically we're still not allowing anyone to dump into the ocean. Except for the ones that we do allow to dump into the ocean.

The Norwegian Society for the Conservation of Nature (Naturvernforbundet) asked for a copy of the application, so that they could see just what kind of dumping operation was being organized and then scale their outrage accordingly.

So, yeah. "As per the wishes of Nordic Mining Inc., the Norwegian Directorate of Mining has decided that certain key details of the mining operation should be classified". This apparently includes such minutiae as: How much expected waste is to be moved and deposited, how fine the waste mass will be upon dumping, method of harvesting the ore, and what routines for subterranean operation will be. Plus just about everything else beyond "digging will be involved. A fjord will also be involved".

The full copy of the application that the Conservation Society received apparently held over a hundred pages that were 100% redacted. They've launched an official complaint, saying that this is honestly kind of ridiculous.

All I have to say is that I, for one, welcome the establishment of a Norwegian branch of the SCP Foundation.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: March 09, 2019, 11:48:37 am »

Maybe they are using shoggoths for mining?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: March 09, 2019, 12:12:15 pm »

Or maybe they're planning to dig too deep?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: March 09, 2019, 02:46:06 pm »

I much prefer the explanation of 'the Norwegian government is actually covering up Things Man Was Not Meant To Know' over the one of 'the Norwegian government is corrupt, greedy and a puppet of mining corporations'. If you're going to be short-sighted and evil, at least do it in an interesting way!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: March 11, 2019, 07:53:44 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47533164

Juncker added: "Let us speak crystal clear about the choice - it is this deal or Brexit might not happen at all."

So "it's this deal or brexit or brexit might not happen." You could have added the "or brexit" bit, rather than imply it, my good friend! (Mistyped as "food friend," kinda want to keep it).

The Eleventh Hour justification has been swept in. Now to see if MPs believe their constituents will buy it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: March 11, 2019, 09:49:01 pm »

It looks like they’ll be negotiating the changes to the backstop while they’re negotiating the future relationship, from my interpretation of the legalese at bedtime.

That’s not much of an assurance, legally binding or otherwise.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: March 11, 2019, 10:30:12 pm »

They could also extend the Brexit date. However, the only problem with getting an extension, other than Brexiteers going berserk, is that Juncker is saying that they don't have any more chances if it's voted down. Which I think may mean that if it's voted down, that's the end of negotiations, not completely sure.

Besides, it took them THIS long to agree to a small change, what groundbreaking thing are they going to figure out in the next three to six months? These MPs also do have a good point in that an extension for Brexit would hurt businesses who are already preparing for a Brexit crash out on the 29th.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: March 11, 2019, 10:31:27 pm »

Brexit will hurt business full-stop, May’s deal, no deal, or otherwise.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: March 11, 2019, 10:38:10 pm »

Their point is more that it would be an unneccesary disruption to businesses who are already preparing for Brexit on the 29th.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: March 12, 2019, 04:29:59 am »

The UK is also making an unilateral statement to the effect that they might leave the backstop if unhappy.

Which... was already a thing? I mean they probably could do that already, just as they can now. The problem is the fallout.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 795