Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1068620 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7560 on: January 31, 2018, 01:09:33 pm »

Well, maybe we won't send the Duke of Leicester over to help your asses out of a touch of tyrannical overrule, then!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: January 31, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »

Then we'll just sink their navy again and have Willy marry Harry to become king of England. Been there, done that.

You mean William, he'd be the heir apparent after Charles. Though I'm probably missing some historical sublety here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: January 31, 2018, 05:05:13 pm »

Willy marrying Willy would just be too confusing
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: January 31, 2018, 05:56:28 pm »

Willy marrying Willy would just be too confusing
But it would be very much worth it for the dick jokes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:55:38 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7564 on: January 31, 2018, 06:20:45 pm »

You mean William, he'd be the heir apparent after Charles. Though I'm probably missing some historical sublety here.
In the late 17th century, King James II sought to rule all the Kingdoms of the British Isles as one United Kingdom; which caused rebellions from Scotland to England, both of which were crushed. The English were especially chafing under this monarch who flitted between religious toleration and Catholic assertion, who sought to rule as a Scottish King against an English parliament, curtailing the power of the parliament tremendously, making James II one of the most powerful monarchs in English history. King James II probably could have ruled until death had he not got his wife pregnant, which caused Protestants in Britain and Netherlands to increase their plotting to a frenetic level of energy. For the Westminster parliament, a definite catholic line of succession would spell the deathknell for their parliamentary power in favour of Royal rule, but for the Dutch this was absolutely worse case scenario. King Louis XIV of France had been expanding all over Europe, with three principle opponents: England, the United Provinces (Netherlands) and the Holy Roman Emperor, Emperor Leopold I.
Emperor Leopold I was preoccupied with fending off the great kebabini Empire (it had only been a few years since the siege of Vienna), thus the Emperor's support against France was uncertain. The Dutch were at this point a redonkulously stronk naval power, and while the Dutch could not defeat the French army, they could open their dykes and flood the Netherlands, grinding the French campaign to a halt. Consequently the French realized that in order to defeat the growing alliance of Italian, Dutch, German and Spanish states they needed an alliance with the English to neutralize their Dutch flanks, giving the English french monies in exchange for alliance. This made it all a very dangerous position for the Dutch, and so they planned to launch a military regime change in England, to depose the French-friendly Catholic monarch and replace him with a Dutch friendly protestant one. Before the Dutch can complete their invasion plans, William of Orange, the Stadtholder of the United Provinces, receives an invitation from English bishops, politicians (from both Tory and Whig parties) and commanders, to come to England and claim the throne himself.

The Dutch invaded, commanded by William the Most Highest Orangest. This is notable for being the last successful invasion of the British Isles in history; the Dutch forces were disciplined, looting nothing, working closely with their English allies to defeat James's less experienced forces (by contrast, the Dutch forces were veterans of many wars). The Dutch gained a powerful ally against the French (unfortunately for the Netherlands, the English would prove to be vastly more dangerous as allies than enemies), the English re-established the sovereignty of Parliament, revoking the ability for the Monarch to dispense laws or create armies in peacetime, entrenching parliamentary practice to this day. What is probably most remarkable is that the casualties incurred in the Dutch invasion were like 2 dozen dudes. It would also cause some severe shitflinging a century later, when French revolutionaries and their allies argued with British conservatives and their allies, with the Irish statesman saying the British had the Glorious Revolution, while the French had a fake news Revolution; Thomas Paine, the Anglo-American disagreed, saying the Glorious Revolution was the fake news Revolution. The rest would be bloody wars and that dickhead Napoleon slaughtering gorillions of people in the name of freedom, the first recorded instance of freedoming people into the liberty of death, only by bayonet instead of bomb.
But that's getting off topic, basically martinuzz is saying the Dutch will invade London, kick Theresa May out of no.10 and replace her with a Dutch sausage vendor

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: January 31, 2018, 06:38:05 pm »

Heh, if you replace the word Dutch with American, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference since it sounds exactly like something that we've done at least once.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:41 pm »

Sure, but I don't think England would look pretty in Afghanistan's dresses.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: January 31, 2018, 07:55:07 pm »

I dunno, T.E. Lawrence looked britishly spiffy in arab garb.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:36 pm »

I dunno, he kinda looks like someone who would say "Mother Superior will see you now."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: February 01, 2018, 03:48:24 am »

Despite a court ruling in Turkey yesterday, which ordered the release of Amnesty International chairman Taner Kiliç, Turkish authorities refuse to release him.
He has been rearrested in his cell, and taken into police custody in Izmir.
The arrested human rights activists from Germany and Sweden will also not be released.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: February 01, 2018, 04:02:40 pm »

Despite a court ruling in Turkey yesterday, which ordered the release of Amnesty International chairman Taner Kiliç, Turkish authorities refuse to release him.
The arrested human rights activists from Germany and Sweden will also not be released.
How do you arrest someone who is already arrested?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: February 01, 2018, 04:24:07 pm »

How do you arrest someone who is already arrested?

They were about to be released and immediately arrested again.

Gotta love that independent juridical power.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7572 on: February 01, 2018, 05:48:06 pm »

Lmao just managed to bluff my way into a live q&a event by the aid of some wonderful classics student and a duplicate ticket to see Jacob Rees-Mogg and drink free shitty Uni wine. Quality night, and turns out Moggy goes to Wetherspoons, but the heretic does not even nandos. Pretty cool, with little bits of drama and fun along the way - I did not expect the queue to extend to hundreds of people, with a zealous contingent of 2 dozen protesters shouting Tory scum at the mogglygoglly.
Within the Q&A it was pretty decent, Mogglothotep made it clear he was not going to be Prime Minister any time soon (and was very diplomatic in "not understanding" questions pertaining to which cabinet ministers might consider needed replacing), and was very specific in stating that his ambitions were not to be Prime Minister for as long as Theresa May was PM. The audience was pretty balanced too, which is probably the greatest surprise, as there was no attempt by the organizers to balance the audience - it just turned out that way, that those in the front of the queue were a decent mix. Thus for example when Mogdan the Destroyer said capitalism had the power to reduce absolute poverty, half the room was laughing at him, the other applauding.
I took especial delight in noting the groups of zealots, of which even they were balanced! Green and purple haired marxists from the drama department were juxtaposed to the liberal faction economic students, wearing their smart dresses and the gents, their tweed suits. The two zealous factions in turn had their champions, for the thatcherites they had a single lady, whose hair was half and half blonde and black, who would applaud every mention of thatcher or capitalism (even if it meant she would be the sole person giving a standing ovation in a silent audience!). For the marxists they had a gentleman of poor neck posture with peroxide hair, who caused disquiet sentiment to spread throughout the hall by calling Mogolopolous stupid, and shouting when he did not have the mic. The Thatcherite champion won, counter-shouting to stop being rude, which won overall. It was an ok thing, if awkwardly organized, I don't think they expected Mogg to draw such a crowd

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: February 01, 2018, 05:51:05 pm »

I'm actually quite jealous. Next time send me a duplicate ticket, too? :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:58 pm »

Can we replace all post-debate commentators with LW already
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 795