Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1070587 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6240 on: June 27, 2017, 06:58:13 am »

"Okay guys we're banning your pride parade because we can't guarantee your safety from radicals. And if you hold one anyway, we're going to hurt you."

Is "protection from radicals" really their excuse for banning the pride parade?

Goodness... What would LBGTQ people know about standing up to discrimination and people who would do them harm?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: June 27, 2017, 07:20:18 am »

Yes, that really is the argument that was used 3 years ago to ban the Gay Pride. The government 'could not guarantee their safety from extreme nationalist groups'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: June 27, 2017, 07:25:23 am »

While that is extremely dubious and smells of Russia's "Propaganda think of the children" law...

How legitimate are they being?

My initial thoughts are... not legitimate at all.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:02 pm »

UNHCR data about the """"""refugees"""""" coming across the Med to Italy during 2017. Interesting highlights:
  • 75.3% are adult males
  • Only 1.4% are Syrian
  • A further 1.2% are Iraqi, and 2.8% are Eritrean
  • Guinea is the most common point of origin
  • Bangladesh is the third most common point of origin, some 7000 km from Italy
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:18 pm »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »

Silly man.

I mean he's identified he has an issue with brevity, but he's el presidente so there must be some PR people he can talk to about improving on that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: June 29, 2017, 10:46:58 pm »

Or even speech coaches or other people who can help him work on summarizing his answers. Theres no lack of people who would be able to help him refine that.

Though I dare him to get more wordy than Obama the orator, lol.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: June 30, 2017, 12:43:09 am »

It sounds like he's trying to say that he's too smart for the average Frenchman to comprehend his thoughts on the subject.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: June 30, 2017, 05:18:08 am »

The leader of the free West, Angela Merkel, voted against gay marriage. Not that it mattered. Legalization of gay marriage in Germany has just been passed in parliament with a large majority.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: June 30, 2017, 05:23:14 am »

From what I understand it won't actually come into effect for quite a while...and after the elections. Convenient!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: June 30, 2017, 05:28:44 am »

Meanwhile in Serbia, a country heavily influenced by the (anti-gay) Russian orthodox church, and where more than half of the population regards homosexuality as a disease, Ana Brnabic has become the first lesbian PM of the country. It did take two days of debating in parliament to get her confirmed into office, with 157 votes in favour, and 55 against.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: June 30, 2017, 08:08:36 am »

The leader of the free West, Angela Merkel, voted against gay marriage. Not that it mattered. Legalization of gay marriage in Germany has just been passed in parliament with a large majority.

She voted against it to balance out the fact that she made it possible in the first place with removing the whip for this decision. She stated that this is a conscience thing and there is no guideline for her party members on this one. Personally voting against it is probably because of her Christian background and to appease a bit those who are against it. Typical example of her ambiguity instinct that kept her in power for so long.

It is also a clever move to allow this to happen now because elections are very close and this would have been a useful campaign theme for her opponents. I guess she'll keep on winning.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:00 am »

Actually she tried to maneuver the issue to after the election. The SPD forced her hand after the Greens and Liberals had provided the opportunity to do so.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: June 30, 2017, 11:02:31 am »

The German Bundestag approved of a new law that was proposed in march by Minister of Justice Heiko Maas. From september of this year onwards, social media companies like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and others can be fined up to a maximum of 50 million euros when they do not remove messages that spread hatred within 24 hours after being reported.

There is a lot of criticism on the new law, with opponents claiming it is in contradiction of the right to freedom of speech.

The new law was proposed, after a study showed that currently, internet companies often ignore reports of hatespeech.
For example, the research showed that Twitter only removed 1% of messages that were reported by users to be breaking the law.
Facebook removed 39%, YouTube 90%.

Worldwide, Germany has amongst the most strict laws about libel, and publicly inciting violence. Denying the Holocaust can lead to hefty prison sentences. Online however, these laws are rarely effected.

The new law is supposed to change that. If messages that 'are clearly in breach of the law', - not only hatespeech, but also libel and inciting violence - are not removed within 24 hours after being reported, the internet company at first faces a fine of 5 million euros. With further neglicence, the fine can increase up to 50 million euros.
For messages that are offensive, yet not directly in breach of law, the removal term is 7 days instead.
The law is intended specifically for internet companies that have more than 2 million (German) users. Facebook has about 30 million users in Germany.

Human rights organisations, and internet freedom organisations condemn censorship, and warn that the law can have the unwanted side effect of internet providers removing harmless content unnescessarily, out of fear for fines. They say this can lead to 'unpredictable online censorship', when tech companies themselves have to start deciding which messages are appropriate, and which aren't.
Facebook itself also warned that 'threatening with excessive fines will only contribute to the removal of legal content'.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/haatbericht-niet-op-tijd-verwijderd-techbedrijf-in-duitsland-riskeert-boete-van-50-miljoen-euro~a4503691/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:40 am »

Inb4 Twitter gets fined for not moderating Trump's twitter.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 795