Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1059108 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4965 on: February 25, 2017, 05:37:07 pm »

Under what fucking bullshit does a German museum have any right to steal things?

If they want it, they ought to pay him for it, or buy him a new one.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:29 pm »

Yeah, how would that even work, after it's processed it goes onto an auction or something? Or do they give it to whatever organisation calls dibs, original owner be damned.

I mean, could this be considered an act of international thievery? What will they call dibs on next, Danzig? How far will German greed go!?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: February 25, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »

Yeah, how would that even work, after it's processed it goes onto an auction or something? Or do they give it to whatever organisation calls dibs, original owner be damned.

I mean, could this be considered an act of international thievery? What will they call dibs on next, Danzig? How far will German greed go!?

Wel it's not so much calling dibs, as declaring the truck to be an 'object of national historical importance'. That's the argument used by the Haus der Geschichte (House of History) museum in Bonn. But yeah, fully agree that if a museum does want it, it should reimburse the owner.

Or rather, the German state should have reimbursed him after they seized it for their criminal investigation. Although they are probably not legally obliged to do so, it would have been a nice gesture towards a man who lost not just his truck, but also his brother.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:50:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »

I thought Danzig was a German city (dang EUIV!), until I wiki'd it, it's Polish. *runs screaming from a horde of angry hussars*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: February 25, 2017, 06:08:45 pm »

Well, depends. It's kinda like the Königsberg situation, I think - it's just that we're buddies with the Poles and so nobody gives a shit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: February 26, 2017, 10:08:52 am »

No, it doesn't depend. It's just the German name of a Polish city.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: February 26, 2017, 10:26:55 am »

It also depends on your usage of adjectives like 'German'. For example, it would hardly be a stretch to call a village within the country of Belgium populated by German-speaking people 'German'. Especially in an increasingly post-national Europe I think there is great value in paying attention to the nuances of these matters, as it increases our awareness of our shared, intertwined history.

'Historically German' would be the preferred phrasing here, I think. To say that Danzig has nothing to do with Germany at all certainly is wrong.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: February 26, 2017, 10:31:09 am »

It's historically German, true, I was just going 'oops, I thought it was German based on the name alone'.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: February 26, 2017, 10:51:46 am »

This is an only increasing problem in germany...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:31 am »

It also depends on your usage of adjectives like 'German'. For example, it would hardly be a stretch to call a village within the country of Belgium populated by German-speaking people 'German'. Especially in an increasingly post-national Europe I think there is great value in paying attention to the nuances of these matters, as it increases our awareness of our shared, intertwined history.

'Historically German' would be the preferred phrasing here, I think. To say that Danzig has nothing to do with Germany at all certainly is wrong.

If you mean the time during which the Germans were genociding Pomeranians ans Prussians to their hearts' content, I suppose we can agree on that.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: February 26, 2017, 11:45:53 am »

Prussians? I thought Prussia was pretty much the core of Germany.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: February 26, 2017, 12:03:11 pm »

No, the Prussians was a Baltic people living just above Poland until the Germans decided they needed more living space for Christ and exterminated them, then started calling the Germans who lived there afterwards Prussians to really spit on the graves of the original people.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: February 26, 2017, 01:58:16 pm »

And I'm suuuuuure you can show me that this genociding was still taking place at the start of the 20th century, no? Else by the same standard London is not an English city.
The Bay12 postcard club

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: February 26, 2017, 02:01:17 pm »

Must we do this?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 795