Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Military Tactics and Strategies?  (Read 11013 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Military Tactics and Strategies?
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:01:24 pm »

What were and are some of the tactics and strategies used by the military today? Broadly, I mean. Like, absolutely anything, naval or air combat, artillery or guerrilla, etc. Just general descriptions or even links are fine :)

Mostly for writing purposes; hard for me to write about warfare without understanding this.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tactics and Strategies?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:10:24 am »

If you're looking for a simple overview of different tactics that have been used then the Wikipedia List of Military Tactics is a good place to start reading. Not everything is still in use, obviously, and some of the pages are rather brief on the specifics of different tactics, but it's a good place to start. For a more bit abstract view of the topic, I suggest you check out the Marine Corp's Tactics manual, which covers a lot of the exact reasoning behind tactics (if not the exact maneuvers in detail). For more specifics on exact maneuvers you probably want to check out various military manuals, such as this Marine Rifle Squad Field Manual, this Army Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad Field Manual, or this Manual for Marine Military Operations on Urbanized Terrain. A lot of it won't necessarily be applicable to what exactly you are trying to learn, being probably too specific for the generalities you are looking for, but if you want specifics they're the place to go, and you can find quite a few more that have actually been published by the military at places like this.

Beyond that the basic ideas of studying warfare pretty much involve looking at scenario after scenario that have been performed in the past (history, yay!) and seeing what they did that worked and what they did that didn't. To quote the earlier linked Tactics manual from the Marines:
The leader's skill is essentially one of pattern recognition, the ability, after only seeing a few pieces of the puzzle, to fill in the rest of the picture completely.
If you are really interested and have access to a library you might also want to see about reading as many of the books on this list (note: it's a .doc download link, so don't freak out) as you feel necessary; it's the current list of the top 100 books for West Point Officers in training to read, and includes many a book on both tactics and strategies in use throughout both history and today.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:43:48 pm »

Don't be identified by the enemy.

See the other guy before he sees you, kill him.

Fix the enemy with support by fire, maneuver a flanking element, then kill him.

All modern ground combat in three sentences.

Any specific topic that your particularly interested in?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 06:42:22 pm »

PTW, I wanna hear Uncle Strife's stories!

*sits at Strife's feet, comfortably close to the fireplace, with a cup of cocoa and an excited expression on his face*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:51 am »

Thank you both! I keep this thread bookmarked for whenever I need it. Thanks for the wealth of information :)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:57:35 am »

Am I telling stories? I'll totally ramble for untold pages if I get started, probably meshed with surprisingly relevant tactical, leadership, and tanking advice.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:01 am »

Am I telling stories? I'll totally ramble for untold pages if I get started, probably meshed with surprisingly relevant tactical, leadership, and tanking advice.

I'd like to hear a story too. xD *sits next to Helgoland*
Dying of laughter?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:12:56 am »

*Sit next to Helgoland and Cheesecake.*

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:42:53 pm »

All modern ground combat in three sentences.

I think you forgot one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 03:21:58 pm »

That's actually a modification of rule number two, which could actually be more accurate if I specified that it assumes that everything is killable once its position is fixed. This isn't actually true in some cases, but it's still good Gospel

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 02:16:08 am »

*Sits next to Helgoland and Cheesecake and the other interested folks.*

Query! I recall reading about the shift between battling in formation and battling as individuals out of formation--what caused that shift other than the changing time periods?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 08:30:08 am »

Tho this might be completely wrong since it's based on my understanding but I think fighting in formation fell out of style with the advent of heavy artillery which could easily obliterate a formation in a few shots. It also probably happened because the battlefields themselves changed, from open fields and fortifications to urban and rural population centers where you couldn't really keep a formation due to the terrain not allowing it.

Also PTW, this kind of thing interests me.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 08:46:51 am »

It's been a bunch of things, gradually. The battlefields thing might have been a major factor, but also the fact that since rifles didn't take an eon to reload infantry could actually hit what they were aiming at with some reliability, whereas until the late XIXth century it was either use a rifle and take forever to reload, or do a group rendition of Spray and Pray with smoothbores.

And speaking of S&P, artillery's one thing, but WWI introduced machineguns, which placed 'tight formation' in the thesaurus under 'bloody massacre'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 08:52:04 am »

So why did people fight in big, open battlefields anyway? Why bother getting in formation and everything when you could simply ignore a big fight and send all your men to target farms, villages etc. to cut off their supplies?
Dying of laughter?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 09:16:33 am »

So why did people fight in big, open battlefields anyway? Why bother getting in formation and everything when you could simply ignore a big fight and send all your men to target farms, villages etc. to cut off their supplies?
They did. That is, for example, why fortified manors developed in France during the Hundred Years War, or 1600-1700ish Poland. But the enemy is also trying to do that any deny you the chance to do so, so you both construct defenses, then one side has to fight their way through them... boom, battle.

Other times, it was deliberately to crush the enemy's army as a whole, because random hostile armed men running around plundering villages without an actual army backing them is what is more formally known as banditry (and totally did happen, too, with defeated soldiers, BTW). And as any CK2 player knows, if you split your 10 000-man army into 1000-man units, you can get soundly beaten by a 5000-man army that stuck together. Cutting off supplies is nice and dandy, except you do that for a *reason*. Plus, you have to supply and coordinate those small units, which without modern communications and transport is not a ton of fun.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6