Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: One Change to the Constitution  (Read 16153 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: One Change to the Constitution
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2016, 12:35:57 am »

I'm mostly just concerned that you said that fucking specific other people over doesn't matter, which seems to display a critical misunderstanding of what fucking people over implies.
There is a moral to this story, and it is this: fucking people over is bad, m'kay?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2016, 12:38:14 am »

I am a progress-ist. I believe that progress can be used to actually help everyone, rather than screw over some of them.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2016, 12:43:02 am »

I'm mostly just concerned that you said that fucking specific other people over doesn't matter, which seems to display a critical misunderstanding of what fucking people over implies.
There is a moral to this story, and it is this: fucking people over is bad, m'kay?

It can be negligible compared to the cost of not doing it.

Furthermore, you misunderstand the purpose of the economy. The overriding purpose of the economy is to provide goods and services, workers and capitalists alike are both merely temporary necessary evils toward this end.

If the economy were a machine, profits and salaries would be the energy lost to friction.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:45:24 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2016, 02:37:17 am »

What about people who run protection rackets, or do loansharking, or sell tobacco, professionally?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:42:26 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2016, 04:07:37 am »

Also, one point no one raised here is that Bohandas doesn't want to stop people from selling music or books. He wants to stop people from enjoying a government subsidies in the form of an enforced right to a work. Now, I don't agree with him (although I'd like to see it curtailed from its current ridiculous state, I like the idea of an author having control over his work), but the analogy is closer to removing regulations forcing people to use lamps than it is to banning them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:51 am »

Also, one point no one raised here is that Bohandas doesn't want to stop people from selling music or books. He wants to stop people from enjoying a government subsidies in the form of an enforced right to a work. Now, I don't agree with him (although I'd like to see it curtailed from its current ridiculous state, I like the idea of an author having control over his work), but the analogy is closer to removing regulations forcing people to use lamps than it is to banning them.
Well, yes, but there's also adding this element of "Lamps are free game to be stolen."

I don't mind curtailing copyright a bit, and PATENT a LOT, but there should definitely be some protections.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »

Well, yes, but there's also adding this element of "Lamps are free game to be stolen."

There's nothing analogous to that at all in my proposal.

YOUR proposal is more akin to saying you can't make your own lamp, based on a lamp you saw whose existence and presence is not in any way altered or diminished by your copy of it, you have to buy them all from a single crooked supplier.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2016, 12:14:05 pm »

To give an analogy, copyright law is like if the baker and the fishmonger tried to shake down Jesus for more money after the feeding of the multitude claiming that the miraculous extra bread and fish were somehow "stolen" from them.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:17:11 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2016, 12:29:22 pm »

I don't see why either of those things should matter.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »

but it was a duplicate of something he made
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »

Yes, and he is trying to make money off of his mental labor. Which is hard if a big publisher could just copy his work and sell it at a fraction of the price (economy of scale, price per unit, like a physical book, goes down as you make more units) and keep all the money for himself.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2016, 12:46:54 pm »

I don't mind curtailing copyright a bit, and PATENT a LOT, but there should definitely be some protections.

How much?

I mean, I agree that copyright is more ridiculous than patent, but mostly in the sense of often being self-defeating. Like if a company is essentially forced to sue in order to keep a copyright, because they plan on doing something with it in a few years and if they don't have a copyright on it then they won't be able to make enough money from it to justify said.

Copyright law is actually like if there was a law against making wine without a license and Jesus kept making wine and vintners were worried about going out of business because of what looks like some dude with magic.

There's issues with it, but it's not pointless, and it's not there just to get in the way. It's meant to provides the ability to make money from your creations for small companies.

It's not 'the dude with a printer' they're worried about. It's 'publishing company gets one copy of your book, reproduces it at far lower cost, redistributes it more cheaply than you can afford to...and you get jack shit.' It's helping people to create even without economy of scale backing them up. Because the big companies that have that economy of scale like reliability, not boldness. Patents are similar. Now, what they're currently being used for is different, but that's why you reform stuff.

Also I don't really think patent/copyright law needs to be part of the constitution, and thus incredibly difficult to change back if it turns out to go badly. *shrug*
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2016, 12:51:52 pm »

Yes, and he is trying to make money off of his mental labor. Which is hard if a big publisher could just copy his work and sell it at a fraction of the price (economy of scale, price per unit, like a physical book, goes down as you make more units) and keep all the money for himself.

Why, under these circumstances, would they buy it from a publisher.

Hell, we could ban publishers too if it makes you feel better. That's not a big deal.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »

Hell, we could ban publishers too if it makes you feel better. That's not a big deal.

Who is 'they' in this example? The customers? Because they would buy it from the publisher because they can get it cheaper then.

And if you ban publishers, then books in general probably become more expensive. A rather big deal, I'd say.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2016, 01:32:55 pm »

Who is 'they' in this example? The customers? Because they would buy it from the publisher because they can get it cheaper then.

Cheaper than Project Gutenberg?!?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11