Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: One Change to the Constitution  (Read 16156 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: One Change to the Constitution
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 06:44:44 pm »

I dont think it is wrong to petition congress. On the contrary, I feel that is very important.

But I also think that situations like Dodd: MPAA spokesman should never come to pass, and "revolving door politics" should not be a thing.

The only real way to do that is to be hard on lobbyists.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:01 pm »

-snip-
I would make it unlawful, via the constitution, for any person to have ever served in a lobby from ever serve in federal government
He specifically wants a lifelong ban, which is fairly problematic for the same reasons that it's problematic to bar criminals from voting.

Why do some political groups get preferential treatment in your eyes?
They don't - I could just as well have mentioned the NRA there, but the groups I chose are more respected around these parts.
Consider the following: If I do some pro bono work as a student, or become active in an NGO, or whatever, is it really sensible to make it impossible for me to run for office? Many great politicians started their career working for some organization you'd call a lobby, just because they were trying to do some good for the people. Your proposed amendment will in effect keep almost all idealists from becoming politicians while doing nothing to keep out opportunists - and those are the ones who will be affected most by lobbyist corruption.

In the situation of the wife being MPAA head, and the husband being the senator, I guess they will just both have to order daily catering, and keep separate bills, and file taxes separately.
Aaaaaand you just fucked over the mayor of a two-bit town whose wife happens to be the head of the local Girl Scouts section and applied for public funding for a field trip. They simply can't afford that, and they shouldn't have to. Keep in mind that you use a lot of absolutes, and are talking about a huge amount of people.

(And yes, I mean the people who actually get chatty with congress people. The real question to ask is "What of the people who write letters to their congressman?!" I dont have a good answer for that.)
Points to your proposal being a wee bit too extreme, doesn't it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 06:55:07 pm »

As much as slippery slope is a logical fallacy, trying to write in seemingly sensible exceptions gives rise to abuse.

Posterchild: "Commerce clause"

The intent is to prevent former government officials, who retain deep contacts within government, from becoming high power lobbyists, and vise versa with high power lobbyists becoming politicians.

If you start allowing certain edge cases, you are inviting the legal accumen of monied interests to hack your statute.

The problem with allowing exceptions based on time, or some other attempted mitigating factor, does not make people forget their contact lists, does not remove "name clout", and other such currency from the dealings.  At some point, a hard line DOES need to be drawn.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:58:46 pm by wierd »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 07:04:41 pm »

If you want to nerf lobbying and end the revolving door, why don't you brainstorm up a way to make lobbying pointless or ineffective?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 07:07:45 pm »

You misunderstand.

Being able to petition congress is an important right, and essential to our form of government.

The problem, is that when very powerful (aka, wealthy or influential) people hog the channel, and use other means (aka, bribes and things like bribes that legally arent) to get the ears of Congress people, bad things come from it. (Like the ever increasing stampede of copyright extensions, SOPA, PIPA, TPP, and pals.)

I dont want to stop lobbying. I want to level the playing field on lobbying, and want to prevent this latter kind of corruption.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:11:08 pm by wierd »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 07:08:39 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 07:30:14 pm »

"Only persons may benefit from the protections of the First, Third, Fifth, Eighth, Fourteenth, Fifteenth, Nineteenth, Twenty Fourth, and Twenty Sixth Amendments. While the term "person" is not defined in this Amendment and may be defined by other law, no definition of the term shall include entities that, by their nature, cannot be imprisoned, executed, fined, and/or deported from the United States. Notably, legal corporations cannot be considered persons, and so cannot benefit from these protections."
Actually, can I make this mine?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 07:32:47 pm »

All previous statements in this document, and all other legal documents, are now rendered null and void. The whole of the law shall be thus: obey my will.
:P

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »

AMENDMENT 666: HORSEHORSEHORSE SHALL HORSEHORSEHORSEHORSE. This statement has legal rights to existence in the U.S constitution because it is hyper-sapient.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 07:56:47 pm »

AMENDMENT 666: HORSEHORSEHORSE SHALL HORSEHORSEHORSEHORSE. This statement has legal rights to existence in the U.S constitution because it is hyper-sapient.
I think we just found Andrew Hussie.
Sigtext

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »

Probably just like, drop the second amendment. It's dead weight and the only good that's come of it is the potential for bad puns.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »

Probably just like, drop the second amendment. It's dead weight and the only good that's come of it is the potential for bad puns.
you can pry my t-shirts from my cold, dead shoulders
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 08:25:16 pm »

I am keeping my bear arms dammit!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 08:28:51 pm »

I'd probably want something about how laws, regulations, and so on are invalid and anyone found enforcing them is subject to full criminal and civil penalties unless said law has a clearly stated purpose whose implementation in this manner is held in good standard by the scientific community. Then I'd try and fail to figure out how to define all those terms, and despair when everyone bypasses it entirely by stating that the purpose of each law and decision is to "enforce the will of the people passing this law/making this regulation," which would always be scientifically ironclad.

But in glorious utopian vision, it'd mean you couldn't do anything without either being scientifically sound or admitting that your thing doesn't actually do what it's supposed to, and that anything we later found out didn't work that way after all would automatically shut off.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11