Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bizarre Engravings  (Read 2962 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Engravings
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>I remember in one of my forts, I had an engraver who liked doors.  He made pictures of doors all over the apartment blocks.  I like to think he was a practical joker.</STRONG>

I had the same only with floodgates and high boots. 40% of my engravings were about the artifact the guy made in 1052 and atleast another 40% about his favourite clothing article. The rest was the usual traveling/laboring. I then replaced him with what looks like the dwarven equivalant of an emo. Every 3rd of her engravings is of a dwarf crying or similar.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 05:24:00 am »

quote:
I then replaced him with what looks like the dwarven equivalant of an emo. Every 3rd of her engravings is of a dwarf crying or similar.

I'm starting to suspect that personalities affect engravings.  Check out if he often feels sad and rejected or somesuch.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>

I'm starting to suspect that personalities affect engravings.  Check out if he often feels sad and rejected or somesuch.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]</STRONG>

That or yellow hand wounds.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

With the moon thing have you checked if any of your gods are associated with the moon, that might be it.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

A lot of times dwarves will engrave the symbol of their civilization, perhaps that is why you have so many moons.

The strangest engraving I had in my last fort was of a dwarf hugging a white tip reef shark. I also had a lot of renditions of an engraving I did in an earlier fort.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>A lot of times dwarves will engrave the symbol of their civilization, perhaps that is why you have so many moons.

The strangest engraving I had in my last fort was of a dwarf hugging a white tip reef shark. I also had a lot of renditions of an engraving I did in an earlier fort.</STRONG>

I did check my civ symbol. Rope weed.

And checking the religions of the engravers, I found no reference to moons. I did find one that had a rather fearful deity that was associated with the sun, but I don't think that really matters.

Unless he fears the sun...

Okay, wooden weapon sparring for you. I think I might have a vampire.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

There are two VERY common engravings in my fort

"Dwarf surrounded by Dwarves"

and

"The Dwarf is Engraving"

Yes... Lets celebrate a masterful engraving of Dwarves surrounded by dwarves, for the millionth time, by engraving an engraving of the engraver engraving.

Note: I am actually pretty mad... WAY over half my engravings are Dwarves surrounded by dwarves... and to make matters worse they either engrave that DARNED Lowboots or the engrave a dwarf engraving. It is like Variety doesn't exist.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

Could someone have carved a masterpiece moon at some point and then everyone else decided to make commemorative engravings? I think the description for that is something like, a so-and-so rendition of...eh, nevermind I can't really remember how it goes, I'll try and check when I get home though.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

My fortress is filled with Dwarves surrounded by dwarves occasionally broken up by the dwarf striking down a dwarf, or dwarves and goblins fighting.

I even had an engraving of a dwarf surronded by doors, and another of a dwrf surrounded by purring maggots.

Edit here is the one that wins the cake:

Inem Nazush "The requirments of blood"
Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of a dwarf by Lokum
Kibshadmal. The dwarf is engraving.

Edit edit:
I dont think it can get wierder than this.
An engraving of a dwarf embracing a giant grouper, and its called the autumnal dinners.

Edit edit edit:
Same engraver just engraved a dwarf embracint two giant groupers, I'm starting to get worried.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: chaoticag ]

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

My dwarves made an artifact aluminum short sword once. Two fortresses later and there are engravings of aluminum short sword everywhere, every noble room has at least one, merchants bring items engraved with aluminum short sword images and once I even noticed a goblin had it engraved on his large copper dagger.
Rather cool if you ask me.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

I also have dwarves who are mysteriously fascinated with embracing fish.   :eek:

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

From what I've seen ...

a) There's two personality
traits I look for in future engravers. While I have no idea to what extent this influences what they engrave, the more creative dwarves seem to engrave "dwarf surrounded by dwarves" somewhat less frequently.
. appreciates art and natural beauty
. creative / imagination

b) My theory is that the game tracks events which a dwarf has experienced or seen, with more imaginative dwarves allowed more semi-random engravings (depending on biome?).
So a dwarf would choose from
1) list of standard engravings - dwarves mainly
2) recent events (deaths, kills, fights, megabeasts (possibly even before they arrive?))
3) your fort's artifacts ("dwarf raising a blowgun")
4) maybe masterwork items ("dwarf raising a rope reed trouser")
5) (depending on the Creativity personality trait?) - random (square, circle, moons)
6) (depending on personality, skill, biome, ??) - random creatures (Eagles, Elephants, whatnot)
7) Plants? Maybe related to what's in your stockpiles, or to biome ("plump helmet", "rope reed")

To sum it up, it's IMO probably a a) standards b) events (anything announced in the log?), c) biome related semi-randoms.

Plus there's at least one modifier - "masterful image of", so you can the an engraving of a chair, or an engraving of an image of a chair...

I don't think the dwarf's religion does much; maybe my engravers just aren't fervent enough believers to care about engraving gods though   :)

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

"This is an engraving of a dwarf and purring maggots.  The purring maggots are surrounding the dwarf.  The Dwarf looks terrified."

Whenever I imagine purring maggots I think of them acting like cats, so had this image of a dozen cuddly maggots all nuzzling a dwarf and purring, and the dwarf looking like he's about to cry.  Teehee...

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn
Pages: 1 [2]