Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Scale worship output by race cost? (changes will be applied retroactively)

No (flat 0.3E/T/u, break-even times 3T, 5T, 8T, 13T, 19T) (pro: Balances T4-based agents, contra: Takes forever to break even)
- 6 (33.3%)
Yes (1/3 creation cost/T, break-even times 3T, 3T, 3T, 3T, 3T) (pro: 3x break-even ratio preserved, contra: Low-tier races useless)
- 2 (11.1%)
Yes ((tier + 1)/3, break-even times 3T, 6T, 8T, 10T, 12T) (pro: Maximizes above two's strengths? contra: Maximizes above two's weaknesses?)
- 9 (50%)
Yes (other scale posted in thread)
- 1 (5.6%)
Yes (another scale posted in thread)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71

Author Topic: Ye Gods Lite OOC [Open]  (Read 72427 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods Lite OOC [Open]
« Reply #705 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:08 pm »

Of course it might also just result in elves getting natural immunity over time.
You mean like how Europe caught smallpox and now everyone of European descent is immune to smallpox because of it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:22:06 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:59 pm »

Hmm, point taken. You could be right but species-wide immunity isn't impossible.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2016, 10:23:55 pm »

Please don't write the way you did in the spoiler. It's annoying to read. Aside from that, thanks for the explanation, but I still don't understand. How do I tell the difference between creation Advances and "level up" Advances? When does the "levelling up" happen? What are the level up Advances used for? Why is there a difference between level up Advances and creation Advances?

It was copied and pasted, that's just how things turned out. Creation advances are the advances introduced on page 3, which KJP is using. They are the very last paragraph. Two can be used to raise an attribute point, one can raise a skill point and grant extra starting money.

Level up advances are on page 7 under the massive "Advancement" section. Level ups happen when you read the freakin' book and find out for yourself.

The point was that unless they had immunity to disease, the Elves would get occasional plagues like Old World humans did. They wouldn't go extinct but if the Black Plague showed up, that's 2/3 Elves gone.

They have Kedi's to take care of rats, and a God who they can talk to if things start to go bad. And part of his explanation was that having animals caused large cities to form, which caused disease to spread more and more. If we take that at face value, then every other race is just as likely to get plagues thanks to forming cities anyway.

That's true with every other race though lacking immunity.
*frustrated groan* Yes, but other races don't deal with domesticated animals as much as Elves, meaning they're less likely to come across a Black Plague and die. Do I need to continue to explain my previous reasoning for why Elves need disease immunity more than other races or is that enough?

The Black Plague originated in Asia, who didn't all die from it. It would basically be the same thing, the Elves would have grown the immunity while everyone else hasn't. It isn't that hanging around animals automatically causes pandemics, despite what that guy told you.

Of course it might also just result in elves getting natural immunity over time.
You mean like how Europe caught smallpox and now everyone of European descent nowadays is immune to smallpox because of it?

Smallpox has been eradicated by vaccination. Which I could invent with no trouble  ::). Train your immune system Hahaha!

Andres, you really don't understand the issue, and it would be weird for this issue to apply to this game.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 21, 2016, 10:27:02 pm »

I think the smallpox thing was sarcasm.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 21, 2016, 10:38:00 pm »

Hmm, point taken. You could be right but species-wide immunity isn't impossible.
It's not impossible, just about as likely as real life pre-Industrial humans/animals becoming immune to all plagues/animal-based diseases.

If we take that at face value, then every other race is just as likely to get plagues thanks to forming cities anyway.
If we take that at face value, then every other race is less likely to get plagues despite forming cities because they use less animal husbandry.

I think the smallpox thing was sarcasm.
Confirming that it was sarcasm.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:41:55 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:24 pm »

Children, we are gods. We can ravage diseases should we so desire, so let's stop being contrarian for the joy of being contrarian :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 21, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »

$$$
Price check on [Cannot Learn Skills] which prevents an agent from learning new skills or improving on learned ones beyond what they have upon creation

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 21, 2016, 11:26:02 pm »

...I was unaware Andres understood sarcasm.

It's not impossible, just about as likely as real life pre-Industrial humans becoming immune to all plagues.

That video also ignores that America did have its share of endemic diseases. For example, Viral hemorrhagic fever was born here, as was Syphilis (Which is called "The Pox". As in, it is an actual America Pox that the video guy was ignoring.) Plus, as I said before, he really isn't using scientific terms when he claims "Plagues" are caused by this.

While we are on the edge of the rabbit hole, we might as well dive right in. As I said before, the Natives did have domesticated animals (dogs, which he didn't mention, and llamas, which he did). Several cities in the New World had incredibly dense populations, cities just like the Old World (if not more so). And, just for the record, Horses originally developed in the Americas and moved to the Old World before being killed out in the New World (possibly by over hunting), and aurochs (basically original cows) where about as surly as buffolo where (and anyone who has worked with cows can tell you that bulls aren't exactly fluffy bunny rabbits today), its not like the New World had no potential animals to domesticate. Back on point, it isn't true that viruses "don't recognize" that they are in humans. Its not like they just randomly jab the first cell they come across, it is a good big more complicated than that. Plus this CGP guy was apparently covered by the Huffington Post often, which automatically means he has no credibility. In the end, a lot of the criticisms align with Guns, Germs, and Steel that I mentioned before, and I just realized I am too tired to go on. The point was that simply living around tons of animals doesn't cause pandemic diseases (which your video friend wants to call "Plagues") to wipe out large populations quickly, especially not when you are a God, or the creatures are biologically different enough from the animals to make a difference (It is easier for a human to get, say, a disease from a Pig or Cow than it is to get a disease from a lizard).

Children, we are gods. We can ravage diseases should we so desire, so let's stop being contrarian for the joy of being contrarian :P

Its...like you don't even know who I am  :-\.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 21, 2016, 11:42:25 pm »

Mask-Bearers: Tier 0 (2 points; 1E/Pop. Unit)
[Tunnel-Dweller]-2 [Keen Hearing]-1 [Ugly]+1 [Loyal]+1 [Bad Eyes (Minor)]+1 [Skill: Survival+1]-1 [Extremophile+1]-1 [Small]+2 [Attribute+2: Vigor]-2 [Phobia: Bright Light]+1 [Keen Smell] [Secret Trait(s) (I have to keep something for myself >:D)]+/-/*?

I think that's about right. I'm not sure what the biggest hindrance to living in the Crust of Hollowcore is, whether it's gravity or what, but if there's one big one I'll probably go for Resist, otherwise Extremophile. Also would [Sensitive to Light] be an acceptable Hindrance? Would it just count as a Phobia or what? I might give them [Keen Smell] or [Darkvision] or [Skill: Stealth+1] if it is. Hard to choose. (any suggestions? :P)

Small, lithe creatures about four to five feet in stature. Their skin tends to be fairly dark, ranging towards earthy or metallic colors. They live underground, relying on their hearing to compensate for their weakened eyes. Bad eyesight means that their culture takes to wearing masks to help differentiate individuals, and to hide their faces from outsiders, who are often as spooked by the intricate and ornate designs the masks bear as by what the faces of their bearers look like. Despite their size, they are hardy, and surprisingly capable of surviving underground, far from light and most others.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:35:20 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 21, 2016, 11:46:47 pm »

Mask-Bearers: Tier 0 (2 points; 1E/Pop. Unit)
[Tunnel-Dweller] [Keen Hearing] [Ugly] [Loyal] [Bad Eyes (Minor)] [Skill: Survival+1] [Extremophile+1/Resist+1] [Small] [Attribute+2: Vigor] [Secret Trait(s) (I have to keep something for myself >:D)]

I think that's about right. I'm not sure what the biggest hindrance to living in the Crust of Hollowcore is, whether it's gravity or what, but if there's one big one I'll probably go for Resist, otherwise Extremophile. Also would [Sensitive to Light] be an acceptable Hindrance? Would it just count as a Phobia or what? I might give them [Keen Smell] or [Darkvision] or [Skill: Stealth+1] if it is. Hard to choose. (any suggestions? :P)
Darkvision doesn't go well with poor sight imo. As to sensitive to sunlight, perhaps [Resist -1: Sunlight]?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 21, 2016, 11:49:27 pm »

That could work. I just don't know about how sensitive I want them to be, given how big of an effect Resist seems to have.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 22, 2016, 01:05:45 am »

$$$
Creature has no sense of smell
Creature has no sense of taste
Creature has no sense of touch
Some combination of the above if they're too minor to be their own drawbacks.

Throwing this up here for when I have an essence points to spare. The latest revelation from KJP has revealed that Tier 0 resurrective races are the way to go if you want an actual efficient essence generator while still having a race resistant to smiting. Might end up not making them a literal terracotta army, but some variation of dragon. (Yes I know they don't quite even out yet. Still finalizing the build)

Spoiler: Terracotta Army (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:43:45 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 22, 2016, 05:39:47 am »

The latest revelation from KJP has revealed that Tier 0 resurrective races are the way to go if you want an actual efficient essence generator while still having a race resistant to smiting.
And people call Andres a power gamer.
Actually, now that I think of it, I can totally make an elf and call it an elf.

Spoiler: Elves (click to show/hide)

If you wanted to make an Elf I coulda let you have the name. I just didn't want Andres to get ahold of it  :P. A little late now I suppose....
Eh, it's more that I made elves, just by another name. It's only different from Andres' elves simply because I had another source.
Namely, it's a combination of folklore elves (which were nature spirits) with other nature spirits.
It's basically less original than Lord of the Rings elves (because that author put a lot of thought into them).
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 22, 2016, 05:54:39 am »

The latest revelation from KJP has revealed that Tier 0 resurrective races are the way to go if you want an actual efficient essence generator while still having a race resistant to smiting.
Who calls me a power gamer? ???

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 22, 2016, 06:19:26 am »

I've spent all my essence on vanity projects (the afterlife thing in particular was a rather solid waste of essence for purely fluff reasons (i.e. I'm not going to get any mechanical benefit from that, like, ever)). I fail to see how I qualify as a power gamer.  ???

Terracotta army is just good sense under the operational realities KJP has set up.

Who calls me a power gamer? ???
Stirk mostly iirc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:28:14 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71