Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Scale worship output by race cost? (changes will be applied retroactively)

No (flat 0.3E/T/u, break-even times 3T, 5T, 8T, 13T, 19T) (pro: Balances T4-based agents, contra: Takes forever to break even)
- 6 (33.3%)
Yes (1/3 creation cost/T, break-even times 3T, 3T, 3T, 3T, 3T) (pro: 3x break-even ratio preserved, contra: Low-tier races useless)
- 2 (11.1%)
Yes ((tier + 1)/3, break-even times 3T, 6T, 8T, 10T, 12T) (pro: Maximizes above two's strengths? contra: Maximizes above two's weaknesses?)
- 9 (50%)
Yes (other scale posted in thread)
- 1 (5.6%)
Yes (another scale posted in thread)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71

Author Topic: Ye Gods Lite OOC [Open]  (Read 72540 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods Lite OOC [Open]
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2016, 12:24:42 am »

And so it begins  :-\. Time will pervert KJP's simple system into something just as complex as before.
How can you call that trait list simple?

How much in game time has passed between ye gods 2 and this one?
We haven't even decided if we're keeping the old world.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 12:25:50 am »

I know but i still imagine it's set in the same universe.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 12:36:18 am »

The only uncreative races I've made are humans and things based off of humans. All my other living creations are fairly creative.

Not really. I can't think of any other race you created aside from them. One was a super saiyan expy, I guess. Expies or humans. Heck, your Angels are either "Generic Angels" or expies. Basically humans with wings.

Not really. For all I know, Vigor is willpower and Spirit is basically a mana level.

It couldn't be any more clear about its meaning. The fact that all the others line up with the "Standard Attributes" means that you should be able to guess what the last one is, even if you had to question what "Spirit" was. I could take this list to anyone else on this forum and ask what they think the stats where, and I would probably get an accurate answer. Even then, a casual look in the rulebook would tell you what things do. "Shaken" characters make a "Spirit" roll, testing their Willpower. It wouldn't make sense for them to test mana level in that situation. Vigor adds tougness and is rolled to avoid dying, why would it represent anything other than Endurance? It is obvious. Blatant. You should know what it is supposed to be, and if you don't, the book does state it indirectly by telling you what each stat can actually do instead of what each stat "is".

I saw the line and promptly forgot about it because it said nothing about -needing- to read it to understand some of the core stats for race creation. I knew enough from the title and its PDF nature that it was a tabletop rulebook and I didn't want to read several pages of rules unless I had to.

You don't need to read it to understand race creation. Well, most people don't, but you seem to have difficulties grasping simple concepts right now. Heck, of the rule book, 13-16 are the character sheets, 10-12 are a traits list, and 1 is a cover page. You only have 9 pages if information, skimming them would be trivial. If you want to understand what is being rolled and when, read the book. If not, then don't complain about not knowing things. You can't have it both ways.

For a tabletop game. For a forum game, it's a lot. Even YG2 only had rules 2 pages long and one of those pages was just a list of traits. Moreover, it's a tabletop game about normal people (for a given definition of 'normal') rather than gods. If I have to read a 16 page rulebook to play a god game, I'd like if most of those pages related to all aspects of the game rather than just race traits.

No its not. It is a game about creation. The Creations you make use a modified version of these rules. Again, you don't have to read it, but if you don't then you can't kvetch about how its sooo hard to tell what this fancy "Strength" attribute is.

I'm ok with reading most of the rules in the BBoI/TToI because they're all directly related to the game and they're all substantial, interesting, and without having a bloated size. The 16-page supplement is a lot of words to read that only relate to a single facet of the game. I could spend an hour reading the whole thing and getting bored out of my mind...or I can just read the summary you posted and be done with just a few seconds of reading. Seriously, that summary could be put right in the Tome and nothing of value would be lost.

Again, if we take away the pictures and the traits list, it is 9 pages. 4659 words, give or take. In comparison, the Abridged Book of Info is about 2111 words, and the Full Book is 3552. That is to say the Information book is about half as long as this "16 Page Lolololo!" book you are so afraid of reading. In fact, if I add the Traits list (~2705 words) to either Big Book, then they are actually longer then the PDF (who has its trait list included in my estimations). Really, your only excuse is "I'M TOO LAZY!!!111", which you use often enough to be annoying.

that trait list simple?

...I thought it was simple.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:47:00 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 02:18:57 am »

The only uncreative races I've made are humans and things based off of humans. All my other living creations are fairly creative.

Not really. I can't think of any other race you created aside from them. One was a super saiyan expy, I guess. Expies or humans. Heck, your Angels are either "Generic Angels" or expies. Basically humans with wings.
My angels were based off of humans so you're not proving my argument wrong. I made a few unique races as Malakath, actually. The only ones I remember, however, were those semi(?)-sapient animals and the Spirit Weapons (forgot what they were actually called). If I remember correctly, you called the latter a rip-off of Soul Eater's Weapons despite the Shinjo actually having more in common with them. :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:22:59 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2016, 02:42:40 am »

My angels were based off of humans so you're not proving my argument wrong. I made a few unique races as Malakath, actually. The only ones I remember, however, were those semi(?)-sapient animals and the Spirit Weapons (forgot what they were actually called). If I remember correctly, you called the latter a rip-off of Soul Eater's Weapons despite the Shinjo actually having more in common with them. :P

I don't remember you making any sort of animals, as Malakath or otherwise. And either way, your Spirit Weapons are obviously based on either my Shinjo design or the Soul Eater race (Thus, we get back to the "Expy" problem).

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2016, 02:48:27 am »

Spoiler: Quick changelog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Upcoming (click to show/hide)

Andres:
Spoiler: Math (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Angel template? Hmm... (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek:
Worship and Influence: Having high Worship does reduce Influence, but only because the Influence gets calculated as actual Worship instead. Having a high Influence, on the other hand, does not affect Worship.

Pantheons: Missing bits added

Spoiler: Detoxicated (click to show/hide)
Added

AbstractTraitorHero: Not sure. Right now, we have (in yes:no:abstain format) 5:3:2 for importing gods (=optional), 3:4:3 for importing races (=probably not), and 3:6:1 for importing worlds (=probably not). There's a call for importing Pantheons, but seeing as they're autonomous, that's up to their members.

All: I do agree the current traits system probably isn't as simple as it could be, but I hope the somewhat more LEGO-like (~discrete/modular?) traits system and fixed pricing simplifies things a bit.

Stirk and Andres: I hate to reuse an image macro, but here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

$$$Response already!? :P
Andres:
[Can't Use Magic]: Don't add on [Arcane Background]
[One School of Magic (school)]: Added as [Slightly Magical] +1
[Unaging]: This may end up just being a flavor trait for races and some sort of age-resistance edge for agents. Named characters will likely be assumed immortal where reasonable (or gifted with a powerful legacy where unreasonable) because of the messiness that results from not having a fixed in-universe Tick lengh.

micelus:
[Infertile]: Probably -2? A lot depends on how fast the dying off happens
[Fusion Breeding]: Probably 0
[Authority Equals Power]: Assuming a mundane type of power, 0
[Savage]: Mention technological level being lower by 1 (which optionally allows increasing magical development)
[Gluttonous]: +1, likely homologous to [Resist (negative consequences of eating organics)]
[Wild Child]: (Spirit)+1 or (Spirit)+2 in addition to flavor text
[Nomadic]: Flavor

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:45 am »

Nah I mean ork-style authority. I.e, more authority makes the individual stronger.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2016, 03:02:52 am »

$$$Response
[Authority Equals Power]: +3, interpreted as a twist on [Leadership+3] in which having authority grants a scaling bonus

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2016, 03:03:11 am »

Andres:
(spoiler=Math)
Somehow, this made less sense to me than the original explanation. No need to re-explain it; I got it the first time, but I wouldn't understand this if it stood alone.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:09 am »

Andres:
(spoiler=Math)
Somehow, this made less sense to me than the original explanation. No need to re-explain it; I got it the first time, but I wouldn't understand this if it stood alone.
Yeah, it didn't really clarify anything for me either.

Spoiler: Angel template? Hmm... (click to show/hide)
I can see this is your way of telling me to look to the past that I may realise myself the truth of the Angel Template. Truly you are a wise and benevolent GM.

$$$
Price check on [Aligned]: Gives nifty abilities based on creator
Price check on [Unique]: Grants uniqueness, which increases the cost of copying the specific creation, increases plot armor, and increases  the relevance of the creation
Price check on [Absolute Loyalty]: Grants creation total loyalty to its creator(s) but zeroes out piety

EDIT:
[Can't Use Magic]: Don't add on [Arcane Background]
That still leaves 20% of the population able to use magic. The trait I proposed means that 0% of the population can use magic.

EDIT2: But really, thanks for giving an example of agent creation. I didn't know I wanted it until I had it. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:38:55 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2016, 05:12:56 am »

I can see this is your way of telling me to look to the past that I may realise myself the truth of the Angel Template. Truly you are a wise and benevolent GM.

$$$
Price check on [Aligned]: Gives nifty abilities based on creator
Price check on [Unique]: Grants uniqueness, which increases the cost of copying the specific creation, increases plot armor, and increases the relevance of the creation
Price check on [Absolute Loyalty]: Grants creation total loyalty to its creator(s) but zeroes out piety

...No, he is using the Character creation system that is in the book you just didn't bother to read.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2016, 05:21:22 am »

...No, he is using the Character creation system that is in the book you just didn't bother to read.
KJP told us to shelve this discussion so that's what I'm gonna do.

In other news, I typed in "eldritch angel" into Google Images out of curiosity and maybe some inspiration and there's actually a lot of cool designs here. What's most interesting to me are the various interpretations of the halo. Obviously I can't use some of these designs due to Eid's personality but it's still given me a lot of new ideas. Now I'm even more excited for this game to come back. :D

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2016, 05:57:10 am »

Well, I have an idea for a race, so I'll just make a template so I don't forget it.
Maybe poke you with a price check later.
Spoiler: Skinless Ones (click to show/hide)
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2016, 06:35:06 am »

*Sigh* I give up. Design time! Time for my prototype Archangel, the Crunch at least. Judging by the other example, we will have 20E (functionally) again. I'll probably end up modifying things a bit more, after I am awake and can make sure I got the numbers right.
Spoiler: Stirk's WIP Archangel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fluff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:39:53 am by Stirk »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2016, 08:17:46 am »

We working on stuff before the game is even live? Eh, might as well. All "???" refers to point costs which I have no idea what to do. Minor Hindrances translate to -1 while Major is -2, right?

Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:56:27 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71